Patient Comments: Appendicitis - Symptoms

Question:What were the signs and symptoms you experienced with appendicitis?

Comment from: Stu, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 21

One night I was kept awake with severe abdominal pain, along with diarrhea and vomiting. I also had a severe fever and shakes. Eventually at around 4 am I went to the emergency room, doubled over in agony, thinking I had a severe case of food poisoning. I was placed on a drip and a blood test was taken. After 2 to 3 hours, I was informed I indeed had food poisoning, and was told to go home, hydrate and rest. Over the course of the next few days many of my symptoms gradually subsided, however I continued to lose weight at an extremely rapid rate, and felt constantly tired. I sought a second opinion from my local doctor, and after 5 minutes he told me it was very likely I had appendicitis and I should go straight to the hospital. This time (with my doctor's referral) they diagnosed me correctly and did the necessary scans. The scans revealed that my appendix had indeed burst (likely on that day I went in prior) and an abscess had formed around it to minimize the damage. By this point though, the abscess had begun to leak, with toxins beginning to spread. After reviewing the CAT scan data, my surgeon informed me that had I waited a couple of days more, I would've likely gone septic. The scan also revealed that my appendix had essentially disappeared into goop, and surgery was pointless. Instead, a tube was placed in me to pump out the pus and other materials (including what was left of my appendix) over the course of 5 to 6 days, while I was fed antibiotics through a drip. I'm now out of the hospital and (for now at least) have been given the all-clear. The moral of this story, don't put your head in the sand if things don't seem right, and don't be afraid to ask for a second opinion.

Comment from: OUCH!, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

On a Thursday, I felt extra gassy! By Saturday, I felt a little constipated, and still very gassy. I had bowel movements during this time, but were little and ineffective. By the following Tuesday, while at work, holding my right lower abdomen and feeling horrible, took tums to relieve what I thought was gas with some constipation. On Wednesday morning, after a miserable night of no sleep, hugging my pillow and gently tossing from side to side, knees to chest, I decided to go to the clinic first thing that morning. I saw the nurse practitioner and she gently pressed on my right side of abdomen (no fever) and I screamed and cried. "Hold still," she said to me, and had my husband rush me to the hospital where by 2 p.m. I was in the operating room having my appendix removed, laproscopically! Wow!

Comment from: tobii, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

My appendicitis pain started a few days ago. I kept having this congested feeling in my lower abdomen. I didn't do anything, and it went away but returned the next day. On the third day, I experienced excruciating pain in my lower abdomen, tummy very bloated and hardened. This pain went on for a few hours before it shifted to the right, and I began shivering, and I decided to go to a hospital. A CT scan was done there and confirmed appendicitis, and I was straight away admitted to hospital for keyhole surgery for the removal.

Published: June 18

I developed symptoms of upper abdominal pain after dinner one evening. It was a gnawing, burning feeling, but also similar to nausea, however antacids didn't help. It lasted till about 4 a.m., then subsided. Three days later (after eating a small lunch), I again developed upper abdominal pain that would not go away. I thought it was possibly an ulcer or gallbladder problem. It never once hurt on my lower right side, though it was a little achy around my lower back area. I went to the emergency room and the doctor was convinced at first that it was an ulcer. Blood work came back fine, but none of the emergency treatments for ulcers helped the pain, which was becoming more intense by the hour. It reminded me of labor pains, but higher up in the abdomen. Finally, I had a CT scan which showed an inflamed appendix. My appendix was located high up in my abdomen and not in the normal place. Emergency laparoscopic surgery was performed and I actually felt 100% better after waking up in the recovery room. The doctor said I had a very “angry looking” appendix, but luckily it hadn't ruptured.

Comment from: Sarasierra, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

With appendicitis I had bad cramping feeling around the belly button and to the right. Pushing on it made me feel like vomiting.

Published: July 22

I was awakened out of sleep at 3am on Saturday morning with terrible 'gas pains' and severe bloating. I tried Mylanta, Phazyme, Pepto Bismol and Tagamet without any relief. My entire abdomen was extremely tender. By Sunday, I was feeling a bit better; the tenderness was gone on the left side, but I dare touch my right lower quadrant. I still couldn't walk very fast without discomfort. Every time I took a deep breath I had pain, and I knew since it had been 48 hours I should seek medical attention. I am a registered nurse and thought about appendicitis, but I thought the pain would typically be localized to the right side. I never had a fever. I never had nausea and vomiting either. I sought the information on this web site, and read people's comments. On Monday morning, I went to the E.R., got a CAT scan which revealed appendicitis. After an open appendectomy, and 48hrs of antibiotics I was discharged.

Appendicitis - Treatments Question: How was your appendicitis treated?
Appendicitis - Causes Question: What do you believe was the cause of your appendicitis?
Appendicitis - Appendectormy Surgery Question: Did you have an appendectomy? Please describe the experience.
Appendicitis - Complications Question: Please discuss complications you experienced with appendicitis.