Patient Comments: Appendicitis - Treatments

Question:How was your appendicitis treated?

Comment from: Jeanne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

I was walking my dogs on the beach one morning, when I had cramping and I rushed home and had diarrhea. I felt ok and went to work. Around noon I felt lightheaded and started shivering uncontrollably. I had my coworker take me home. I sat in the sun until I warmed up and then rested for the remainder of the day. I felt ok when I woke up the next day but my blood pressure was very low. I had slight tenderness on my lower right side, and cramping and pain around to my back. I googled my symptoms and thought I had a bladder or urinary tract infection. Around noon, I started shivering so uncontrollably that I called a taxi to take me to urgent care. They checked me out and said I had very low blood pressure and was dehydrated but no fever. They hooked me up to an IV for fluids and started blood tests. Seven hours later they still didn't know what was wrong with me and were ready to send me home since they were closing, with the instructions to go to the emergency room (ER) if I had any worsening of symptoms. As I was getting ready to go, some blood tests came back with unusual numbers and they told me to go over to the ER to get checked out. I was in the ER for seven hours, while they did blood tests, pressed on my abdomen, and did an ultrasound which did not reveal anything. They sent me in for a CAT scan which showed appendicitis. And I was admitted that evening and had laparoscopic surgery. They told me my removed appendix had been inflamed. During this whole ordeal, the slight pain in my lower right abdomen was the least of my symptoms.

Comment from: MikeR, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 13

I had no symptoms at all of appendicitis, none. No pain, no fever, and no diarrhea. As far as I was concerned I was a healthy patient. I had kidney pain on my left side and had a CT scan looking for kidney stones, no stones were found but they did find an inflamed appendix. After consulting with my surgeon I had it removed, started with laparoscopy but the appendix was so swollen they couldn't stitch me back up well. I was opened up to finish the procedure and during that time the surgeon also discovered a diverticulum and removed that. I recovered after 5 days in hospital and two more weeks at home. The appendix was sent to the lab and it was confirmed I had acute appendicitis.

Comment from: xebeast, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 16

I went to the emergency room (ER) on August 4. CT scan revealed perforated appendix. Five weeks of IV and oral antibiotics later, I feel great. My surgeon says in three weeks we will discuss whether or not I need surgery. I guess another CT scan will be in order.

Comment from: Lynne, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 18

I have recently purchased a mattress topper and it has really improved my carpal tunnel syndrome condition. It is not waking me up every morning. Hope this may help other sufferers.

Comment from: ouch, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

I began having stabbing pains on my right side at work 12/18 2013. It came on fairly quick. I usually don't "freak" out with pain, but this was different. I went to emergency room and blood work showed elevated white blood cells. CAT scan showed swollen appendix. Surgery was performed later that evening. They went in through my left side with 3 incisions. The incisions are still tender, but my left side by the lower rib cage is extremely sore.

Comment from: nancy, 65-74 (Patient) Published: October 08

I awakened with severe abdominal pains at 3:00 a.m., took Tylenol and felt somewhat better. That night, more severe pains all across lower abdomen. No vomiting was present. I went to my internist, he X-rayed and saw nothing, sent me for a CT scan. The radiologist sent me straight to the emergency room, with acute appendicitis, with perforation. They did surgery that night, sent me home the next day. The recovery has been horrendous, why I do not know. The physician should have told me there needed care to get the bowels to return to normal. That was a problem for real. This is serious and certainly not a piece of cake. Please recognize severe pain in the abdominal region, most of the time means appendicitis. Go quickly to the emergency room.

Comment from: kids, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 04

My son woke up at 8:15 AM with a stabbing pain behind his belly button and said there is something wrong. I told him to take a shower and if it was not any better, we would go to the hospital. He barely got through the shower, his paid was so bad, he had tears in his eyes and he never cries. I knew it was time to get checked out and headed to the Children's hospital. The ride to the hospital was the worst; every little bump on the road absolutely killed his stomach. Once we arrived, they checked him out and by then the pain started to radiate down the lower right side of abdomen. They knew right away it was his appendix and surgery was done a couple hours later.

Appendicitis - Symptoms Question: What were the signs and symptoms you experienced with appendicitis?
Appendicitis - Causes Question: What do you believe was the cause of your appendicitis?
Appendicitis - Appendectormy Surgery Question: Did you have an appendectomy? Please describe the experience.
Appendicitis - Complications Question: Please discuss complications you experienced with appendicitis.