Patient Comments: Appendicitis - Treatments

Question:How was your appendicitis treated?

Comment from: MikeR, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 13

I had no symptoms at all of appendicitis, none. No pain, no fever, and no diarrhea. As far as I was concerned I was a healthy patient. I had kidney pain on my left side and had a CT scan looking for kidney stones, no stones were found but they did find an inflamed appendix. After consulting with my surgeon I had it removed, started with laparoscopy but the appendix was so swollen they couldn't stitch me back up well. I was opened up to finish the procedure and during that time the surgeon also discovered a diverticulum and removed that. I recovered after 5 days in hospital and two more weeks at home. The appendix was sent to the lab and it was confirmed I had acute appendicitis.

Comment from: xebeast, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 16

I went to the emergency room (ER) on August 4. CT scan revealed perforated appendix. Five weeks of IV and oral antibiotics later, I feel great. My surgeon says in three weeks we will discuss whether or not I need surgery. I guess another CT scan will be in order.

Comment from: ouch, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

I began having stabbing pains on my right side at work 12/18 2013. It came on fairly quick. I usually don't "freak" out with pain, but this was different. I went to emergency room and blood work showed elevated white blood cells. CAT scan showed swollen appendix. Surgery was performed later that evening. They went in through my left side with 3 incisions. The incisions are still tender, but my left side by the lower rib cage is extremely sore.

Comment from: nancy, 65-74 (Patient) Published: October 08

I awakened with severe abdominal pains at 3:00 a.m., took Tylenol and felt somewhat better. That night, more severe pains all across lower abdomen. No vomiting was present. I went to my internist, he X-rayed and saw nothing, sent me for a CT scan. The radiologist sent me straight to the emergency room, with acute appendicitis, with perforation. They did surgery that night, sent me home the next day. The recovery has been horrendous, why I do not know. The physician should have told me there needed care to get the bowels to return to normal. That was a problem for real. This is serious and certainly not a piece of cake. Please recognize severe pain in the abdominal region, most of the time means appendicitis. Go quickly to the emergency room.

Comment from: kids, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 04

My son woke up at 8:15 AM with a stabbing pain behind his belly button and said there is something wrong. I told him to take a shower and if it was not any better, we would go to the hospital. He barely got through the shower, his paid was so bad, he had tears in his eyes and he never cries. I knew it was time to get checked out and headed to the Children's hospital. The ride to the hospital was the worst; every little bump on the road absolutely killed his stomach. Once we arrived, they checked him out and by then the pain started to radiate down the lower right side of abdomen. They knew right away it was his appendix and surgery was done a couple hours later.

Comment from: Irishteacher, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 08

Saturday afternoon thought i had food poisoning. Went to Urgent Care next day around noon. They sent me to hospital for CT scan. Inflamed appendix and need for surgery was the diagnosis. I had surgery around 4:30 and awake at 6:15 and ready to go home. I went home the next day and the next day back to work. I teach and felt great. I had minimal symptoms and glad i went to the doctor. I had great care and tell people to know their bodies and not put off. A cavity has given me more pain and problems.

Comment from: 55-64 Male Published: March 20

Tried the Lap way, but there was so much infection, they had to open me up the old way. I had very little symptoms that started on Saturday with not wanting to eat and just thinking I had a stomach virus. I had a sharp pain on Sunday afternoon, which went away quickly, and another lesser one on Monday. I then got my Neighbor to take me to ER. I am in my late 50's and in very good health except for a little high BP that runs in the family. By the time they figured out what was wrong with me, I was waiting in the Operating Room with the Dr's and nurses trying to get my BP up enough to operate. I survived septic shock, my Heart getting out of Rhythm, and five Days in ICU, and six days in regular room having IV antibiotics three times a day.Some of the Dr's I saw, and a couple of Dr.friends told me that especially a latter age, you don't have the severity of pain. They had to leave the main incision open, and after I got dismissed, I and to go to the Wound Center and got put on a Wound Vac for about a week to help with the drainage.

Appendicitis - Symptoms Question: What were the signs and symptoms you experienced with appendicitis?
Appendicitis - Causes Question: What do you believe was the cause of your appendicitis?
Appendicitis - Appendectormy Surgery Question: Did you have an appendectomy? Please describe the experience.
Appendicitis - Complications Question: Please discuss complications you experienced with appendicitis.