Patient Comments: Appendicitis - Treatments

Question:How was your appendicitis treated?

Comment from: Chelle Torres, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I had been experiencing severe stomach ache for 3 days. It started on the upper right side of my stomach On the first day, I though that it would be relieved when I took Buscopan, but it didn't. Saturday and Sunday the pain got worst. I could now feel it on my whole stomach, but it hurts more on the right side but I still ignored it. Monday, my boss told me to go to the hospital and have it checked. When I got to the hospital the doctor requested for CBC and urinalysis, then injected pain reliever directly to my veins. I went home but it still hurts, the next day I went back to the hospital and they had me undergo a CT scan. They found out the outer lining of my appendix was already swollen and there was no other remedy other than undergoing appendectomy. Doctor said it had just started and that's why it didn't show up.

Comment from: lpercelly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 23

I am a 56 year old very healthy woman. I was hit with sever nausea, running to the bathroom, where uncontrollable vomiting accrued in waves along with a burning knife feeling around my belly button. this continued most the night. I only had a low grade fever, 100.6. By morning my fever was 102.5 and the fire burning knife like again was in my lower right abdomen. I had my daughter google appendicitis, my husband calls my nurse friend... and off to the ER we went. After a CT scan, blood and urine I was given antibiotics previous to surgery and luckily they took my appendix out laproscopically. 1 day in the hospital and all is good!

Comment from: sunita, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 13

On 28th Aug-2011, my son aged 12-years developed a mild abdominal pain in the evening which became severe as the night approached but the pain was only confined to lower abdomen at 3 am. We admitted him in the hospital. Some pain killer injections were administered but they proved no relief. The doctor on the first instance diagnosed it as acute appendicitis clinically. Ultrasound scan was done later and hence diagnosed. Open surgery was done on 29th August. My son was allowed to go home after remaining for 2-days in the hospital. Now he is fit and luckily today he has once again going to school. It was a nightmare but anyhow the surgeon saved him.

Comment from: Carol, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 02

After my busted appendix operation I couldn't breathe without excruciating pain so I took tiny breathes to reduce the pain. I was on heavy dedication for pain and antibiotics. I was hospitalized for 8 days and now 1-1/2 years later I still have pain when I sneeze, cough, twist, jump, and especially if I take a larger than normal breathe. I have had many tests of all kinds and nothing shows up. I got my hospital records and it says I had gangrene and puss with a foul odor when they opened me up. I just have to live with it I suppose. I'm 77 years old and a very active person physically, yard work, 5 acres, and restoring my house alone, flooring, windows, doors, moldings, cove and base etc.

Comment from: carolyne, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

It was treated by removal of the appendix, which turned out to be normal. However, the lymph glands were all found to be swollen and the MDs said they would test: three weeks prior to the operation I had a severe viral infection which lasted for about three days. The doctors think that there is a possibility that the two are related but the swollen lymph glands will remain a worry until tests provide something conclusive.

Comment from: TKay, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

My appendicitis went undiagnosed for seven months until I went through multiple tests, torturous exams, three specialists and exploratory surgery by my gynecologist. A general surgeon finally agreed to take my appendix out while going in to remove my gall bladder. I had no fever, and the CT, ultrasound, and blood work was normal. I now have adhesions and scar tissue that affect my life every day because my body tried to "heal itself." Fortunately it didn't burst and I survived, but if you have pain that you've never had before, don't believe it's "just gas." See doctor after doctor until they will take it out.

Comment from: Vida loca, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I was admitted to the hospital with nausea, vomiting, and severe pain in my stomach. I stayed in the hospital for 10 days - had many, many tests. I was finally sent home with a diet sheet for gastroenteritis. Ten years later I was admitted to the hospital to have my right tube cleared. They found my exploded appendix attached to my tube. The doctors told me they found a huge mass of pus in my stomach and asked me if I had ever experienced severe stomach pain, because my appendix had ruptured. I was 28 years old at the time and am now 70, so I did live through a ruptured appendix. I seem to be prone to infections - having had skin boils, impetigo, etc. I guess I am just lucky to have survived all that stuff.

Appendicitis - Symptoms Question: What were the signs and symptoms you experienced with appendicitis?
Appendicitis - Causes Question: What do you believe was the cause of your appendicitis?
Appendicitis - Appendectormy Surgery Question: Did you have an appendectomy? Please describe the experience.
Appendicitis - Complications Question: Please discuss complications you experienced with appendicitis.