Patient Comments: Appendectomy - Complications

Please describe your experience with complications of appendectomy.

Comment from: Joe, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

Complications of appendectomy are starting now, almost 8 weeks after surgery. I have all of a sudden got pain in my lower abdomen. I was misdiagnosed first and sent home with antibiotics and returned 3 days later. A CT scan revealed not only my appendix needed removing but looked like it may have ruptured so I was air lifted to the hospital where they operated, removing my appendix, an abscess and a third of my bowel; huge cut straight up my belly. I was discharged two weeks later and although I was sore for a long time, I was starting to get better every day until the last few. The pain feels a bit like when you've held a full bladder for too long. Not happy. I just want to get back to normal.

Comment from: JR-NJ, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 28

I awoke in the middle of the night almost two weeks ago with severe pain in my lower right abdomen. I went to the hospital, blood test was ok but CAT scan showed appendicitis. They waited almost 10 hours to get me to surgery during which time the pain got so bad the medication wasn't working anymore. They got my appendix out right before it burst and I have also been having a lot of pain in my abdomen, specifically from my navel to my groin, almost like my bladder hurts (I don't have a urinary tract infection). My surgeon said I still can't lift anything for another week, but other than that I'm able to do anything I want. Anyway, it has been getting better but this takes a lot longer to recover from than they tell you. My suggestion, take it easy and listen to your body. If it hurts, stop. You had major surgery even though everyone treats it like a little nothing.

Comment from: SoCalldy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I am a 30 year old female. I experienced pain that felt like either cramps or gas in my lower stomach, Sunday afternoon. I ended up calling in sick to work on Monday because it was so bad that I couldn't sleep Sunday night. I didn't get seen by a doctor until 4 am Tuesday when I finally decided it was time for the emergency room. The pain was now centered in the lower right side of my stomach. Once I got to the hospital it took most of the day for the doctors to conclude that a surgery had to be done to investigate the pain because although everything pointed to appendicitis it still did not show up on the CT scan. I had laparoscopic surgery that night around 9 pm and it turned out I did in fact need my appendix out. I am recovering fairly well but still in a lot of pain and the swelling just went down last night finally, it is now Friday morning. My best advice is to go see a doctor right away if you feel something is wrong. I was a bit embarrassed because I thought it was just cramps or gas. Thankfully my appendix didn't burst but if I had it to do again I would have gone in sooner.

Comment from: lyda, Female (Caregiver) Published: July 05

If you have abdominal pain and a fever, even slight, go to emergency room (ER). My daughter who is 10, was misdiagnosed 3 times. Urgent care said dehydration, pediatrician said constipation. She gave her laxative, suppository, and then fever spiked to 103. I took her to the ER, they gave enema. Four hours later, shift change and the doctor came in and diagnosed her immediately. Within 1 hour she was in surgery for perforated, ruptured appendix. Giving a laxative will rupture an appendix if you have appendicitis. She had 4 hours of appendectomy surgery because of the infection that spread. It's supposed to be an hour and a half surgery.

Comment from: Chad, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 19

I had my appendix laparoscopically removed 2 weeks ago and when the doctor took out my staples my navel incision popped open because it had drainage behind it. I have a hole now a little bigger than a quarter and a half inch deep in my stomach and I am now packing the wound for the next 2 weeks until my next appointment. I wonder if they will leave the wound open like this or staple it back once the drainage is done.

Comment from: Betty93, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I woke up on a Wednesday morning with what felt like a pulled muscle in my stomach, like I had slept funny. Throughout the day it was still there, and by the evening it was stomach ache. I went to sleep but woke at 12 am Thursday with the most awful pain. I phoned 111 who said a doctor would ring back. It got to 2 am and doctor still hadn't rung, so I rang back. I was still in the queue to be spoken to. By 3 am the pain was excruciating, so I went to Accident and Emergency. I was given morphine for the pain. By 6 am I was told it was probably appendicitis, and I was admitted to the ward. I had to have an ultrasound to check I wasn't pregnant and for any cysts on my ovaries. All came back clear. I was meant to have appendectomy that day but they were too busy, so Friday morning I went to theatre. I was down there (including recovery) for 3 hours. I woke up feeling fine. Doctor told me that my appendix had swollen so much it was attached somehow to my ovaries and was close to bursting. I went home the Saturday evening. I had awful wind in my shoulder for a couple of days, which then made its way down to my stomach. I also had constipation from the codeine; that and the wind was so painful it was just as bad as the appendix before. I'm now into almost my 2nd week appendix free, and although not doing a huge amount, I am feeling better. My wound in my belly button feels weird though, like something is pulling, it is very tender and itchy. I guess it must be healing. I'm lucky that I had no other symptoms like vomiting or nausea, and was lucky mine was caught quickly.

Appendectomy - Recovery Question: How was the recovery process for your appendectomy?
Appendectomy - Experience Question: Please share your experience with appendectomy.