Patient Comments: Appendectomy - Complications

Please describe your experience with complications of appendectomy.

Comment from: JR-NJ, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 28

I awoke in the middle of the night almost two weeks ago with severe pain in my lower right abdomen. I went to the hospital, blood test was ok but CAT scan showed appendicitis. They waited almost 10 hours to get me to surgery during which time the pain got so bad the medication wasn't working anymore. They got my appendix out right before it burst and I have also been having a lot of pain in my abdomen, specifically from my navel to my groin, almost like my bladder hurts (I don't have a urinary tract infection). My surgeon said I still can't lift anything for another week, but other than that I'm able to do anything I want. Anyway, it has been getting better but this takes a lot longer to recover from than they tell you. My suggestion, take it easy and listen to your body. If it hurts, stop. You had major surgery even though everyone treats it like a little nothing.

Comment from: SoCalldy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I am a 30 year old female. I experienced pain that felt like either cramps or gas in my lower stomach, Sunday afternoon. I ended up calling in sick to work on Monday because it was so bad that I couldn't sleep Sunday night. I didn't get seen by a doctor until 4 am Tuesday when I finally decided it was time for the emergency room. The pain was now centered in the lower right side of my stomach. Once I got to the hospital it took most of the day for the doctors to conclude that a surgery had to be done to investigate the pain because although everything pointed to appendicitis it still did not show up on the CT scan. I had laparoscopic surgery that night around 9 pm and it turned out I did in fact need my appendix out. I am recovering fairly well but still in a lot of pain and the swelling just went down last night finally, it is now Friday morning. My best advice is to go see a doctor right away if you feel something is wrong. I was a bit embarrassed because I thought it was just cramps or gas. Thankfully my appendix didn't burst but if I had it to do again I would have gone in sooner.

Comment from: lyda, Female (Caregiver) Published: July 05

If you have abdominal pain and a fever, even slight, go to emergency room (ER). My daughter who is 10, was misdiagnosed 3 times. Urgent care said dehydration, pediatrician said constipation. She gave her laxative, suppository, and then fever spiked to 103. I took her to the ER, they gave enema. Four hours later, shift change and the doctor came in and diagnosed her immediately. Within 1 hour she was in surgery for perforated, ruptured appendix. Giving a laxative will rupture an appendix if you have appendicitis. She had 4 hours of appendectomy surgery because of the infection that spread. It's supposed to be an hour and a half surgery.

Comment from: Chad, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 19

I had my appendix laparoscopically removed 2 weeks ago and when the doctor took out my staples my navel incision popped open because it had drainage behind it. I have a hole now a little bigger than a quarter and a half inch deep in my stomach and I am now packing the wound for the next 2 weeks until my next appointment. I wonder if they will leave the wound open like this or staple it back once the drainage is done.

Comment from: Beemer, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 17

I had right abdominal pain developing and increasing over 2.5 weeks before I went to the doctor. I had a stat ultrasound - very painful as she spent 8 minutes pressing down on the appendix as hard as she could to get an image. This ended in a MIA (multiple intestinal atresia) diagnosis. The next day I had a stat CT and ruptured appendix was the diagnosis. The surgeon was hesitant to do surgery and set a drain in to reduce the infection. Five days later I was released with an abscessed appendix. Two weeks later, pain in multiple areas on the right side hurts with every step I take. The doctor is still reluctant to remove the appendix because the abscess was so big and he "cannot differentiate the appendix from the colon". Not very confident. Will have another CT scan, see the surgeon again, and then probably schedule surgery. The lack of confidence the doctor has in his own abilities is either insightful or frightening. Five weeks into this and still waiting for a plan of action and to feel better.

Appendectomy - Recovery Question: How was the recovery process for your appendectomy?
Appendectomy - Experience Question: Please share your experience with appendectomy.