Patient Comments: Appendectomy - Recovery

How was the recovery process for your appendectomy?

Comment from: HealthISgift, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 22

On 5 June 2016, my 3rd day In India for holiday, I had a breakfast in a mall and then started walking in the mall with a little pain in the upper abdomen. Five hours later the pain had traveled down to right bottom abdomen. I went to the toilet and had a bit of diarrhea and vomit. I took paracetamol, antacid, and lots of water. At this point I thought it was just a gastritis. At night, at the hotel I had fever and a lot of pain. Next morning I went to the hospital, and diagnosed with appendicitis. They performed, the open appendectomy (old fashion) rather than laparoscopic appendectomy. Anyway I stayed 3 days at the hospital and I was exploring India 2 days after discharge.

Comment from: Mohamed H., 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 24

Out of the blue, after such a hectic meeting, I got home to a painful abdomen. I thought that it was some kind of rejection my body was having towards my lunch earlier, I've had an outbreak of vomit late that evening. Thinking it was just some stomach pain, I went to a scan and blood test with my wife a week after. My doctor told me I had to have appendectomy and that I was lucky to be walking around ten days without it exploding. Two weeks after the surgery, I still sleep on one side and very cautious with my movement. I was in the hospital for further 5 days after the surgery. I know I'll get better. I get that odd itchy feeling around the area of the surgery which can mean only positiveness.

Comment from: scificandy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I had stomach bloating and pain all day while shopping with friends. I took Gas-X but that didn't really help. I waited all evening for the gas to go away, it did but then seemed like it got stuck in my lower right side. Finally I went the emergency room after midnight, and after CT scan and blood tests it was confirmed appendicitis. I was scheduled for laparoscopic surgery the next morning. It took 45 minutes, no problems, not perforated, etc. I felt great and never felt any pain after that. It has been a week so far.

Comment from: Amb, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

I went to bed on a Wednesday with a bad sinus infection and awoke early Thursday with absolutely no sinus infection but abdominal pain (apparently this is odd, but not impossible). I toughed it out in bed all day thinking it was first bad cramps and then maybe a ruptured ovarian cyst (which I know they do nothing for). When I wasn't better on Friday morning I went to the urgent care and was diagnosed with probable appendicitis with rupture due to rebound pain and sent to the emergency room. A CT scan confirmed the appendicitis but was iffy on the rupture. Laparoscopic surgery was done and successful despite finding a rupture. I spent 5 nights in the hospital then several more days at home largely resting before a week of half days at work. It has been 17 days since the surgery and my abdomen still feels weak and rather strange. But I can handle food fine and most everyday tasks with just a little less stamina.

Comment from: Jersey, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

It has been 15 days since my appendectomy. I was in constant pain for 2 days straight. I went to the doctor next morning. I was sent for CT scan, then sent straight to the hospital. I was taken to surgery at 7:45. I was in my room at 10:00. I was kept out of pain but felt so much less pain from the appendix that was actually stuck to my colon. My awesome surgeon showed me a picture of it and said I did great, sounded and looked great, and said I can go home.

Comment from: appljuiz, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I am a 27 year old female, 150 lb. By the third time I visited the emergency room (February 2015, August 2015, and February 2016) with severe stomach bloat/cramp pains (nausea, vomiting, sweating, chills, and difficulty walking), they ordered an ultrasound. My appendix could not be found via ultrasound because it lodged behind my bowel somehow. CT scan showed a perforated appendix, and a laparoscopic appendectomy was performed. It has been 5.5 days since (2 nights stay in hospital) and recovery has been difficult. Transition to solid foods has taken a toll on my bowel and intestines, and I get bursts of pain from the incisions and trapped gas or any sort of bowel movement. I would advise to keep sipping water throughout recovery, and keep cans of ginger ale or carbonated water around if you wake up in pain. In my case, the pain is quickly relieved by burping. Staying hydrated, moderate squats, walking and marching on the spot is helpful for bowel movement. I am alternating between Tylenol and Advil 2 every 3 hours but now I can occasionally stretch it to every 4 or 5 hours (oxycodone if I am desperate). I am eager to go back to work but as per the doctor's orders I won't start for another 7.5 days. Also, there is a risk of developing a hernia if carrying heavy loads too soon after surgery, so it is best to go slow and easy anyway.

Appendectomy - Complications Question: Please describe your experience with complications of appendectomy.
Appendectomy - Experience Question: Please share your experience with appendectomy.