Patient Comments: Appendectomy - Recovery

How was the recovery process for your appendectomy?

Comment from: TdK, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 17

I'm 36 years old and in good health, reasonably fit but not a star athlete. I developed a slight abdominal pain some days ago, and what felt like bloating and mild constipation. Assuming it was only something I ate, I took some medicine for cramps. The pain lingered for a few days, sometimes being barely noticeable and rather annoying at other times, with a noticeably reduced appetite. On day 4, I realized that the pain was localized on the right of my stomach, by pressing on it, so I went to see my general physician. He diagnosed it as appendicitis, and arranged for conventional surgery that evening. I went into the theater around 19:00, and remember waking up around 20:30. I stayed in the hospital for the night, and awoke with no pain. I drove myself home the morning after surgery at 10:00, and took it easy for the day. It is now 3 days after the operation, and I have experienced almost no pain. I have a follow-up consultation scheduled with the surgeon in 2 days. I probably have some weeks before I can resume normal physical activities and exercise, and a lot can still happen during this time, but for now this has been an extremely easy and painless experience.

Comment from: Andrea V, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I woke up on a Sunday thinking I had the stomach flu. By 3 pm I was still throwing up and running a slight fever. I had my daughter bring me to the emergency room and I had blood, urine tests and a CAT scan. I went into surgery before midnight Sunday evening and woke up feeling so much better. I went into recovery, and within 3 hours I was up walking and 3 hours after up walking by myself. I have a little pain and I tend to get tired easily (it is only 2 days after surgery) but I feel fantastic! I can't thank my surgeon enough.

Comment from: Wingvie, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

I am 46 years old and in great shape. I had pains on Wednesday all day, and went to the hospital late afternoon suspecting appendicitis, as my sister had it less than a month earlier, which is pretty weird, as she is 51 years old. Sure enough, it was appendicitis and they operated on me the next morning, Thursday, and I was out of surgery around 11. I left the hospital about 5:00, got my medications and rested that night, Thursday. Friday, I got up around 9 and actually drove myself out to get groceries and errands, cooked a meal, rested the rest of the day. I quit taking medicines that day, woke up next day, Saturday, feeling great. I am very sore still, but not nearly as bad as day before, and am able to get off the couch and back on couch with much less pain. I had a bowel movement, which was a big concern, so I should be on my way to recovery. The reason I tell this story is that I think lying around in bed for a week may not be the best thing to do. Maybe you should move around, I was actually by myself, but just took extra care about every movement I made, and what I ate. I used a cane those first two days, which also helped keep pressure off the abdomen when getting up/sitting down. Do all the right things, be positive, and hopefully you will recover nicely, as well. Take care.

Comment from: Karen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I am 3 months post laparoscopic appendectomy and met with my surgeon this morning. I had three laparoscopic holes and the top healed but the bottom two have continued to be severely itchy and draining with constant slight serous drainage. A culture was started but after that the itching became intensely severe and is causing me to sweat. I was prescribed a cream to keep on the sites. I'm just wondering if anyone has had this type of response. I'm a 53 year old female with several prior surgeries and have never experienced anything like this. I am not overweight and have continued to be active.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 08

Sunday night I had occasional severe pain in rectum and trouble passing gas. I went into the emergency room on Monday morning and was diagnosed with appendicitis and prepped for operating that afternoon. It was my first surgery so I was pretty nervous. They removed my appendix and also a dead 'little fat ball' on my bowel (which was more likely the true cause of pain). The following day was pretty painful and I didn't do much but lay on the couch. Note: I only used ibuprofen for pain relief as the codeine-type stuff made me throw up. Wednesday there was still some soreness and difficulty moving around, but the worst was the shoulder pain from the gas used in laparoscopic surgery; it seemed better when lying on my back. Thursday was a pretty good day and I was able to get around outside the house and even went for a 2 mile walk. Today is Friday and I almost feel normal except when coughing, hiccupping, clearing throat, etc., then stomach muscles are pretty sore. It seems recovery is on track and I'll be back to work on Monday and hopefully normal exercise and snowboarding, etc., within another week or so.

Appendectomy - Complications Question: Please describe your experience with complications of appendectomy.
Appendectomy - Experience Question: Please share your experience with appendectomy.