Patient Comments: Appendectomy - Describe Your Experience

How was the recovery process for your appendectomy?

Comment from: Patoka, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 18

I had an emergency appendectomy on February 25th and went home on the 25th. After 1 1/2 weeks I was feeling better, started work on Mar 10 and 11 and had a relapse on the evening of the 11th. I had shooting pains when passing gas, having a bowel movement and after eating. Today, Mar 16th, I'm still not better, now I have blood in urine. I will be contacting the surgeon's office tomorrow.

Comment from: Kendrik, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: December 06

I am a 24 year old man from Singapore. I was diagnosed with appendicitis upon my second day of arrival, in the local hospital and was immediately sent for surgery at 4AM local time. They inserted 4 holes in me, and the one nearest to the belly button is the most painful. The ones at the sides are recovering pretty fast. I was advised to eat soft food for the next 2 to 3 days, before attempting to consume slightly more solid food. Currently, I am on my 5th day recovering from the surgery, and am able to walk around freely, though indoors.

Comment from: EE, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

I am a 44-year-old overweight male. I started having central abdominal pain Saturday evening that became diffuse then eventually settled at my right lower abdomen. I went to the emergency room Monday evening and had a CT and some blood work that diagnosed appendicitis. I had the laparoscopic appendectomy Tuesday afternoon. The surgery well, though I was in a lot of pain (the surgeon had a lot of tissue to cut through). Wednesday morning I was up walking around, but Wednesday afternoon my heart went into A-Fib which is a rapid, irregular rhythm and Wednesday I developed a fever of 104. They did a repeat CT and determined that I had a small fluid buildup in my abdomen. They were unable to determine if it was an abscess or just a collection of cirrus fluid. After five days longer in the hospital, my heart rate/rhythm finally converted back to normal. Also they gave me a bunch of antibiotics to clear up whatever infection there was. I'm now ten days post surgery and I feel OK.

Comment from: tinaxoxo, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

Monday I went into the hospital because I was feeling a lot of abdominal pain, they decided to admit me. They did CT scan and blood work and then decided it was my appendix. I went into surgery the next day. I was in severe pain afterwards. I couldn't use my stomach muscles much. But now I"m getting a little better, I"m feeling this stretching feeling in an around my incision.

Comment from: dac, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 20

I am a 34 year old male. I had some pain in my abdomen at 5pm one evening and the pain steadily grew over the next 12 hours. I decided to go to the ER at 5am the next day. I was diagnosed with appendicitis and they removed my appendix. The surgeon did not remove it laparoscopically, not sure why. I have a 5 inch incision on the lower right side of my abdomen. Recovery has been pretty easy although some tenderness remains. I am also a cyclist and started cycling doing easy rides 10 days after surgery. It's now 16 days after surgery and hoping everything finishes healing quickly.

Comment from: Mazhar, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 14

After my appendectomy, I am having some tenderness on my incision wound and still feel something is not good inside my belly. I hope I will be fine soon. May be it is normal recovery process.

Comment from: Linzz, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

I am a 15 year old girl and it's been a month and 11 days since my appendectomy was done. Recovering hasn't been so easy for me considering the fact that i still feel some pain around the wound, but deep inside. I don't know if it's anything serious or its part of the whole healing process, but whatever it is I pray that I get totally healed.

Appendectomy - Complications Question: Please describe your experience with complications of appendectomy.