Patient Comments: Appendectomy - Recovery

How was the recovery process for your appendectomy?

Comment from: wintergal, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I was a very healthy, 52 year old female. I had abdominal pain for 2.5 days that got worse. First visit to the emergency room (ER) misdiagnosed my appendicitis as uterine fibroids. (They didn"t bother to do blood work!) Back to ER 12 hours later with WBC of 1700. Laparoscopic surgery was done to remove my ruptured appendix. I was in the hospital for 6 days. During that time I had a fever and felt horrible. The day I was discharged a CT scan was done revealing a few small abscesses, fluid on my lungs and a kidney stone. I had a lot of ups and downs once I was home. I had to sleep sitting up for the fluid on the lungs and it took about a week for my digestive system to start working again. It has been over 2 weeks now since my surgery and I am finally starting to improve. If you ever have abdominal pain that you suspect might be appendicitis, don"t hesitate to get it checked. And make sure they do blood work. Waiting until it ruptures makes the recovery process much tougher.

Comment from: Patoka, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 18

I had an emergency appendectomy on February 25th and went home on the 25th. After 1 1/2 weeks I was feeling better, started work on Mar 10 and 11 and had a relapse on the evening of the 11th. I had shooting pains when passing gas, having a bowel movement and after eating. Today, Mar 16th, I'm still not better, now I have blood in urine. I will be contacting the surgeon's office tomorrow.

Comment from: Kendrik, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: December 06

I am a 24 year old man from Singapore. I was diagnosed with appendicitis upon my second day of arrival, in the local hospital and was immediately sent for surgery at 4AM local time. They inserted 4 holes in me, and the one nearest to the belly button is the most painful. The ones at the sides are recovering pretty fast. I was advised to eat soft food for the next 2 to 3 days, before attempting to consume slightly more solid food. Currently, I am on my 5th day recovering from the surgery, and am able to walk around freely, though indoors.

Comment from: EE, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

I am a 44-year-old overweight male. I started having central abdominal pain Saturday evening that became diffuse then eventually settled at my right lower abdomen. I went to the emergency room Monday evening and had a CT and some blood work that diagnosed appendicitis. I had the laparoscopic appendectomy Tuesday afternoon. The surgery well, though I was in a lot of pain (the surgeon had a lot of tissue to cut through). Wednesday morning I was up walking around, but Wednesday afternoon my heart went into A-Fib which is a rapid, irregular rhythm and Wednesday I developed a fever of 104. They did a repeat CT and determined that I had a small fluid buildup in my abdomen. They were unable to determine if it was an abscess or just a collection of cirrus fluid. After five days longer in the hospital, my heart rate/rhythm finally converted back to normal. Also they gave me a bunch of antibiotics to clear up whatever infection there was. I'm now ten days post surgery and I feel OK.

Comment from: tinaxoxo, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

Monday I went into the hospital because I was feeling a lot of abdominal pain, they decided to admit me. They did CT scan and blood work and then decided it was my appendix. I went into surgery the next day. I was in severe pain afterwards. I couldn't use my stomach muscles much. But now I"m getting a little better, I"m feeling this stretching feeling in an around my incision.

Comment from: Mazhar, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 14

After my appendectomy, I am having some tenderness on my incision wound and still feel something is not good inside my belly. I hope I will be fine soon. May be it is normal recovery process.

Appendectomy - Complications Question: Please describe your experience with complications of appendectomy.
Appendectomy - Experience Question: Please share your experience with appendectomy.