Patient Comments: Appendectomy - Recovery

How was the recovery process for your appendectomy?

Comment from: yawyawland, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

I'm a 44 year old female and had a burst appendix taken out almost 7 months ago. I had a stomach ache and thought it was gastroenteritis. The pain in the stomach wasn't too bad and the cramp felt like it was cause by the vomiting. The fever and vomiting continued for another day or so with cold shivers in between, 24/7. I went to the doctor and I was asked to give a stool sample. I went home but was constipated for another 3 days. I took my very small stool sample back to the doctor and was told to wait for the result. I went back there 2 days later and only got told by the replacement doctor that I'm just dehydrated, and to go home and drink some water. I started hallucinating the following night and we went straight to emergency room. I was admitted straight away, scanned overnight and operated first in the morning. I was told my abdominal pain wasn't pronounced because some body fat somehow surrounded the leak which slowed the contamination. I was in hospital for 20 days on observation because I was left with 2 abscesses, 2 drains, and an SMV (superior mesenteric vein) blood clot. I was on antibiotics for months and was put on blood thinning medicines (warfarin) for 6 months. It didn't actually help with the blood clot. After a revisit to the surgeon last month, I was told that the latest scan had revealed a thickening of the walls in my bowel and booked in for a colonoscopy next month. The saga continues. I was admitted into the hospital 19th Jan, it is now 1st of September.

Comment from: MsPats, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I had upper abdominal pain, then vomiting and diarrhea, on June 10. I couldn't hold anything down and pain moved to lower abdomen. I went to the emergency room on 6/11 but my temperature only went to 100. They found a perforated appendix and did laparoscopic surgery. It took 5 days for my gastrointestinal tract to recover enough to send me home with a JP (Jackson-Pratt) drain. Severe cramps started 10 days after surgery but got better when drain was removed on day 11. It's been 3 weeks since surgery but I'm still having bloating, gas, pain, belly cramps, and tenderness. I did increase my walking pretty fast, maybe too much, but more than a couple miles a day (per my Fitbit), and it makes it worse.

Comment from: HealthISgift, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 22

On 5 June 2016, my 3rd day In India for holiday, I had a breakfast in a mall and then started walking in the mall with a little pain in the upper abdomen. Five hours later the pain had traveled down to right bottom abdomen. I went to the toilet and had a bit of diarrhea and vomit. I took paracetamol, antacid, and lots of water. At this point I thought it was just a gastritis. At night, at the hotel I had fever and a lot of pain. Next morning I went to the hospital, and diagnosed with appendicitis. They performed, the open appendectomy (old fashion) rather than laparoscopic appendectomy. Anyway I stayed 3 days at the hospital and I was exploring India 2 days after discharge.

Comment from: Mohamed H., 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 24

Out of the blue, after such a hectic meeting, I got home to a painful abdomen. I thought that it was some kind of rejection my body was having towards my lunch earlier, I've had an outbreak of vomit late that evening. Thinking it was just some stomach pain, I went to a scan and blood test with my wife a week after. My doctor told me I had to have appendectomy and that I was lucky to be walking around ten days without it exploding. Two weeks after the surgery, I still sleep on one side and very cautious with my movement. I was in the hospital for further 5 days after the surgery. I know I'll get better. I get that odd itchy feeling around the area of the surgery which can mean only positiveness.

Appendectomy - Complications Question: Please describe your experience with complications of appendectomy.
Appendectomy - Experience Question: Please share your experience with appendectomy.