Patient Comments: Appendectomy - Recovery

How was the recovery process for your appendectomy?

Comment from: edwards1364, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 25

I am a 32 year-old male, after work one night I had a small amount of pain in my belly. The pain increased through the night and at 2 am I was at the ER. I had the laproscopic surgery at 9 am and was released at noon the following day. It is now 40 hours after surgery and my recovery is going quite well. What I think has helped the most is the use of an old cane I had in the garage. I have used it to help me move around the house and keep some of the stress of my abdomen. In fact my recovery is going so well I will most likely go back to work tomorrow. I hope my suggestion is helpful to anyone else who has this surgery.

Comment from: Kycole, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I had an emergency appendectomy laparoscopically 2.5 weeks ago and was to go home the next day due to the surgery being in the evening. Within a few hours after surgery my blood pressure dropped to 60/30. After blood work and a CT it was found I had a hematoma in the muscle at one of the incision sites (lower left of belly button). I have a hard bulge and pain from right above incision site all the way to front of hip bone (where leg meets body) am still very weak and feel drained.

Comment from: 65-74 Male Published: January 06

I am male, 65. I woke up at 2am feeling badly. I went to hospital at 7pm same day. I had a standard conventional surgery at 11pm with spinal sedation. I was better immediately.

Comment from: (Patient) Published: August 23

As a 54 year old woman...recovery from appendectomy has been remarkably easy. Saying that it has now been a week and my appetite is better but I am in a state of constant fatigue.

Comment from: Trevor, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 25

I am a 28 year old male. I experienced non-localized abdominal pain and went to ER 7 hours later where I was diagnosed with appendicitis via CT scan. I underwent laparoscopic appendectomy about 13 hours after I first noticed the pain. I felt very little pain after surgery and required no pain killers. I was sent home from the hospital the next day, although I felt well enough to leave within 6 hours after the surgery.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

My appendicitis could not be seen on CT scan or ultrasound. I was in SEVERE pain. When they finally did exploratory surgery my appendix was swollen and all bumpy looking. I felt better immediately waking up from surgery after they removed my appendix. Now I'm on the road to recovery; very tired still, but thankful not in a bunch of pain.

Comment from: JC, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I'm a 32 year old woman; I thought my ovary was rupturing because of the pain. Luckily it was my appendix. I had surgery and it couldn't be done laproscopically so it was a slower recovery. I was out of work 3 weeks and still moving slow at 6 wks. Too much walking or activity at a fast past gives me pain and feels like swelling. Overall, no issues but it was much more of a painful and slow recovery than I ever thought an appendectomy would cause.

Appendectomy - Complications Question: Please describe your experience with complications of appendectomy.
Appendectomy - Experience Question: Please share your experience with appendectomy.