Patient Comments: Appendectomy - Recovery

How was the recovery process for your appendectomy?

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 08

Sunday night I had occasional severe pain in rectum and trouble passing gas. I went into the emergency room on Monday morning and was diagnosed with appendicitis and prepped for operating that afternoon. It was my first surgery so I was pretty nervous. They removed my appendix and also a dead 'little fat ball' on my bowel (which was more likely the true cause of pain). The following day was pretty painful and I didn't do much but lay on the couch. Note: I only used ibuprofen for pain relief as the codeine-type stuff made me throw up. Wednesday there was still some soreness and difficulty moving around, but the worst was the shoulder pain from the gas used in laparoscopic surgery; it seemed better when lying on my back. Thursday was a pretty good day and I was able to get around outside the house and even went for a 2 mile walk. Today is Friday and I almost feel normal except when coughing, hiccupping, clearing throat, etc., then stomach muscles are pretty sore. It seems recovery is on track and I'll be back to work on Monday and hopefully normal exercise and snowboarding, etc., within another week or so.

Comment from: Realtor, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 25

I am a 45 year old male and I just had laparoscopic procedure done on my appendix. The appendectomy was done at 10 am and I was home at 4 pm. I do have a drain tube in my stomach area to remove fluid for a few more days till I do a follow up on the surgery. I figured it would be an easy recovery, but I have considerable pain in the former appendix area. It has been less than 24 hours since procedure and it takes great effort to get up and even walk. It is painful to laugh or reposition on a recliner. Hopeful it will ease in couple days. I just want to be back to normal.

Comment from: Muni408, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I am a 31 year old mother of 3, 115 lb. I am 7 days post appendectomy. I went to the emergency room (ER) last week on Sunday and was misdiagnosed with a urinary tract infection (UTI) and discharged. They sent me home with antibiotics and Zofran for the vomiting. Clearly the pain didn't subside and I ended back at the ER one and a half days later. This time they ordered an ultrasound and CT scan in which they found the perforated appendix. They informed me I would require immediate surgery but from the time they made the discovery to when I got to pre-operation my appendix ruptured. They performed laparoscopic appendectomy at 11 pm and my surgeon said it took about 1 hour to clean up the pus and remove what was left of the appendix. One day post operation I was feeling super bloated and sore. My throat hurt a lot too. I was so bloated I looked 4 months pregnant. Since then, my incisions have been fine, though some areas are still sore. Though I'm still feeling super bloated and I have a terrible pain in the right side of my mid/lower back and trouble breathing in spurts. It hurts to laugh and cough if I turn the wrong way. I'm still sleeping propped up too.

Comment from: Senior 68 yrs old, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

Last Tuesday I had laparoscopic appendectomy. Less than 2 hours later they sent me home in a lot pain and half way asleep. Forty-eight hours later the cut in my abdomen turned into a big huge bruise. The next day I went to see the surgeon and he told me, 'goodness, I never saw anything like that' and asked me if I took any aspirin. Of course I answered no, only the pain killer that they give me and my blood pressure medicine Zestoretic. This was his only explanation. He asked me to make the 10 days appointment. I am still in a lot of pain.

Comment from: Barnie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I had my appendix out via laparoscopy 8 weeks ago. I was in hospital for only one night before being discharged home. I had two weeks off work as I was very sore and in a lot of pain still. After 3 weeks of intense and sharp pain (where my appendix once was) I returned to my doctor who ordered a CT. This showed free gas in my abdomen and I was hospitalized for 5 days. The surgeons wanted to treat it conservatively with IV antibiotics, even though my white blood cell count was normal. I spent 14 days on antibiotics and ever since then have remained on ibuprofen and Panadeine constantly. It has been 8 weeks, I still have a sore, distended abdomen and sharp pains. I am being referred for endoscopy/colonoscopy now and then most likely another laparoscopy. No one knows what is going on and I am very much over being in pain. I wouldn't wish this on anyone. I'm actually glad to have found this page as most of you had perfect recoveries. I sometimes doubt this is really happening and if I just need to harden up!

Comment from: udkoepp, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 18

I had battled with chronic abdominal pain for four years backdated to 2011. The first onset experience was of acute abdomen pain with symptoms of loss appetite, nausea, and abdominal swelling. My general physician suspected my condition of being appendicitis. I was admitted immediately into hospital and diagnosed with reactive lymph nodes pathology. Then in 2014 this same abdominal pain struck me worse off than the first one. The pain was around my navel and slightly within off limits to the boundary to where my appendix sits. Once again I was diagnosed with reactive lymph nodes. No definite diagnosis because my blood work was normal. I sought an experienced surgeon. I underwent first diagnostic laparoscopy, then it was modified to laparoscopic appendectomy. Surgeon found an angry appendix that was right in the middle of my navel. Condition was intestinal malrotation that pushed the digestive system out of proportion. Appendectomy was done. All the classic tales of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), and malrotation pointed to definite diagnosis that was missed by the previous surgeons. All symptoms backdated from 2011 to 2014 disappeared upon recovering from the laparoscopic appendectomy. I went back to my old self.

Appendectomy - Complications Question: Please describe your experience with complications of appendectomy.
Appendectomy - Experience Question: Please share your experience with appendectomy.