Patient Comments: Appendectomy - Recovery

How was the recovery process for your appendectomy?

Comment from: udkoepp, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 18

I had battled with chronic abdominal pain for four years backdated to 2011. The first onset experience was of acute abdomen pain with symptoms of loss appetite, nausea, and abdominal swelling. My general physician suspected my condition of being appendicitis. I was admitted immediately into hospital and diagnosed with reactive lymph nodes pathology. Then in 2014 this same abdominal pain struck me worse off than the first one. The pain was around my navel and slightly within off limits to the boundary to where my appendix sits. Once again I was diagnosed with reactive lymph nodes. No definite diagnosis because my blood work was normal. I sought an experienced surgeon. I underwent first diagnostic laparoscopy, then it was modified to laparoscopic appendectomy. Surgeon found an angry appendix that was right in the middle of my navel. Condition was intestinal malrotation that pushed the digestive system out of proportion. Appendectomy was done. All the classic tales of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), and malrotation pointed to definite diagnosis that was missed by the previous surgeons. All symptoms backdated from 2011 to 2014 disappeared upon recovering from the laparoscopic appendectomy. I went back to my old self.

Comment from: Platinum3462, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I am a 35 year old overweight female. I had pain that at first I thought was food poisoning, or a cramp but over the next 5 hours it got worse and worse. I did not wait and went right to the emergency room (ER) on May 23rd, mostly because I have had a fear of my appendix bursting since I was about 10 and was convinced it was actually happening. The ER doctor told me it was appendicitis and they were setting things up now for removing it. The surgery went fine. The doctor told me on a scale of 1-10 the appendix was about a 7 and would have more than likely ruptured within the next 2 days. I was in the hospital for 2 days and off work for one week. My recovery has been going well and I have had very little pain since the first few days home. However at the moment I am noticing an odd pain in my lower stomach, sort of next to and below my scar that feels odd when I press on it or stand for too long. If I am not touching it it's a dull ache, when I press on it, it feels like painful pinching. No idea if this is normal, so I am waiting to see if it goes away on its own because I am not noticing any other issues and feel ok.

Comment from: appendectomy sucks, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

As for me, my pain began at midnight mostly in the uterine area which I thought was maybe a ruptured cyst. I went to the emergency room at 7:45 am had a CT scan at 11:45 am and was told my appendix measured 1 cm. I finally had surgery at 9:00 pm and the appendix was measuring almost 10 cm. My incision is the size of my hand and recovery has been really hard on me. I am overweight and this has been my only surgery. Everything has been very difficult for me from the healing to the coping of the actual appendectomy. My incision had 2 hematomas underneath and hot to the touch. Doctor squeezed the incision to see if there was any infection but luckily none. It's been 3 1/2 weeks post-surgery and slowly but surely I've learned how to do everything again by myself. My milestone today was being able to tie my own shoe lace without assistance.

Comment from: wintergal, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I was a very healthy, 52 year old female. I had abdominal pain for 2.5 days that got worse. First visit to the emergency room (ER) misdiagnosed my appendicitis as uterine fibroids. (They didn"t bother to do blood work!) Back to ER 12 hours later with WBC of 1700. Laparoscopic surgery was done to remove my ruptured appendix. I was in the hospital for 6 days. During that time I had a fever and felt horrible. The day I was discharged a CT scan was done revealing a few small abscesses, fluid on my lungs and a kidney stone. I had a lot of ups and downs once I was home. I had to sleep sitting up for the fluid on the lungs and it took about a week for my digestive system to start working again. It has been over 2 weeks now since my surgery and I am finally starting to improve. If you ever have abdominal pain that you suspect might be appendicitis, don"t hesitate to get it checked. And make sure they do blood work. Waiting until it ruptures makes the recovery process much tougher.

Comment from: Patoka, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 18

I had an emergency appendectomy on February 25th and went home on the 25th. After 1 1/2 weeks I was feeling better, started work on Mar 10 and 11 and had a relapse on the evening of the 11th. I had shooting pains when passing gas, having a bowel movement and after eating. Today, Mar 16th, I'm still not better, now I have blood in urine. I will be contacting the surgeon's office tomorrow.

Appendectomy - Complications Question: Please describe your experience with complications of appendectomy.
Appendectomy - Experience Question: Please share your experience with appendectomy.