Patient Comments: Appendectomy - Recovery

How was the recovery process for your appendectomy?

Comment from: c3527, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 31

I am a 67 year old male in good health and reasonably fit and work out at a health club gym 5 to 6 days a week. I developed a dull ache near my navel on Sunday evening, gradually getting worse. By Monday evening, I went to the emergency clinic (after having vomited). I thought I had the 24 hour bug but wanted to be checked out. Blood work was done; white blood cell count was slightly elevated. No x-ray done. I was given some medicines to help with the nausea and discharged. Next morning the pain moved lower and was unbearable. I was admitted to the hospital through the emergency room. CT scan and x-rays revealed I needed emergency surgery. Appendectomy was performed late afternoon. Laparoscopic incision revealed the infection was much worse. So major surgery was performed. The appendix had gangrene and infection so severe that the area was flushed three times with saline solution (I had a great surgeon) and closed up with 18 stitches. I was in the hospital for eight nights and nine days. I was on IV antibiotics (two kinds, each two hours apart) about a week and tube down my nose to my stomach to drain bile, for a couple of days. I was on a catheter for several days; bowels didn't work for several days. Was extremely weak for about a week. No food for about a week. Discharge to home on day nine and on antibiotic (Augmentin 875 mg 2 times day for 7 days). I was very weak the first week home and was ordered not to do too much but to gradually do a little more each day. Amazingly (after best wishes from many and the loving supportive care of my wonderful wife) in about two weeks home, I had regained most of my strength (but had lost 13 pounds while in the hospital) and the incision was healing well. Now I am on week 5 after surgery and I am back to the gym with my old stamina on the treadmill. I am grateful to be alive as I read how serious my condition was.

Comment from: TdK, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 17

I'm 36 years old and in good health, reasonably fit but not a star athlete. I developed a slight abdominal pain some days ago, and what felt like bloating and mild constipation. Assuming it was only something I ate, I took some medicine for cramps. The pain lingered for a few days, sometimes being barely noticeable and rather annoying at other times, with a noticeably reduced appetite. On day 4, I realized that the pain was localized on the right of my stomach, by pressing on it, so I went to see my general physician. He diagnosed it as appendicitis, and arranged for conventional surgery that evening. I went into the theater around 19:00, and remember waking up around 20:30. I stayed in the hospital for the night, and awoke with no pain. I drove myself home the morning after surgery at 10:00, and took it easy for the day. It is now 3 days after the operation, and I have experienced almost no pain. I have a follow-up consultation scheduled with the surgeon in 2 days. I probably have some weeks before I can resume normal physical activities and exercise, and a lot can still happen during this time, but for now this has been an extremely easy and painless experience.

Comment from: Andrea V, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I woke up on a Sunday thinking I had the stomach flu. By 3 pm I was still throwing up and running a slight fever. I had my daughter bring me to the emergency room and I had blood, urine tests and a CAT scan. I went into surgery before midnight Sunday evening and woke up feeling so much better. I went into recovery, and within 3 hours I was up walking and 3 hours after up walking by myself. I have a little pain and I tend to get tired easily (it is only 2 days after surgery) but I feel fantastic! I can't thank my surgeon enough.

Comment from: Wingvie, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

I am 46 years old and in great shape. I had pains on Wednesday all day, and went to the hospital late afternoon suspecting appendicitis, as my sister had it less than a month earlier, which is pretty weird, as she is 51 years old. Sure enough, it was appendicitis and they operated on me the next morning, Thursday, and I was out of surgery around 11. I left the hospital about 5:00, got my medications and rested that night, Thursday. Friday, I got up around 9 and actually drove myself out to get groceries and errands, cooked a meal, rested the rest of the day. I quit taking medicines that day, woke up next day, Saturday, feeling great. I am very sore still, but not nearly as bad as day before, and am able to get off the couch and back on couch with much less pain. I had a bowel movement, which was a big concern, so I should be on my way to recovery. The reason I tell this story is that I think lying around in bed for a week may not be the best thing to do. Maybe you should move around, I was actually by myself, but just took extra care about every movement I made, and what I ate. I used a cane those first two days, which also helped keep pressure off the abdomen when getting up/sitting down. Do all the right things, be positive, and hopefully you will recover nicely, as well. Take care.

Appendectomy - Complications Question: Please describe your experience with complications of appendectomy.
Appendectomy - Experience Question: Please share your experience with appendectomy.