Patient Comments: Appendectomy - Recovery

How was the recovery process for your appendectomy?

Comment from: Tippy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

I had a laparoscopic appendectomy 11 days ago. Everything seemed to be going well until a week after surgery. I have a marble sized knot under my skin at the incision site to the left of my belly button. At first, it was a sharp pain, now it's just an achy pain.

Comment from: Nightmare, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I have just gone through the worst week of my life, it started on the Monday with pains. It had been brilliant till then, and I went to bed thinking it was just a bug. I went to the doctor Tuesday lunchtime, who took some blood and said she was going to give me antibiotics. Then my husband pushed her and she thought she would send me to hospital. We went and by this time I was in agony getting into the car. I think that's when it ruptured. The pain, I have never felt anything like it. They x-rayed me but nothing! They kept me in overnight and the doctor who saw me through the night, said put her down for a scan. I had it the next morning and they said they would let me know the results in 2 hours or so. They were down in 10 minutes and booked me in for emergency surgery. At 8 that night I got the operation, and medication that hasn't agreed with me. The pain is unbelievable, the stitches awful, but it is mind over matter and I am lucky to be alive.

Comment from: jesse b., 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 03

I had my appendix taken out Sunday morning at 2 am and I'm on the 5th day of recovery. I am not having any pain around the incisions but I am still having abdominal pain; it feels like burning and stretching.

Comment from: Muni408, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I am a 31 year old mother of 3, 115 lb. I am 7 days post appendectomy. I went to the emergency room (ER) last week on Sunday and was misdiagnosed with a urinary tract infection (UTI) and discharged. They sent me home with antibiotics and Zofran for the vomiting. Clearly the pain didn't subside and I ended back at the ER one and a half days later. This time they ordered an ultrasound and CT scan in which they found the perforated appendix. They informed me I would require immediate surgery but from the time they made the discovery to when I got to pre-operation my appendix ruptured. They performed laparoscopic appendectomy at 11 pm and my surgeon said it took about 1 hour to clean up the pus and remove what was left of the appendix. One day post operation I was feeling super bloated and sore. My throat hurt a lot too. I was so bloated I looked 4 months pregnant. Since then, my incisions have been fine, though some areas are still sore. Though I'm still feeling super bloated and I have a terrible pain in the right side of my mid/lower back and trouble breathing in spurts. It hurts to laugh and cough if I turn the wrong way. I'm still sleeping propped up too.

Comment from: Senior 68 yrs old, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

Last Tuesday I had laparoscopic appendectomy. Less than 2 hours later they sent me home in a lot pain and half way asleep. Forty-eight hours later the cut in my abdomen turned into a big huge bruise. The next day I went to see the surgeon and he told me, 'goodness, I never saw anything like that' and asked me if I took any aspirin. Of course I answered no, only the pain killer that they give me and my blood pressure medicine Zestoretic. This was his only explanation. He asked me to make the 10 days appointment. I am still in a lot of pain.

Comment from: Barnie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I had my appendix out via laparoscopy 8 weeks ago. I was in hospital for only one night before being discharged home. I had two weeks off work as I was very sore and in a lot of pain still. After 3 weeks of intense and sharp pain (where my appendix once was) I returned to my doctor who ordered a CT. This showed free gas in my abdomen and I was hospitalized for 5 days. The surgeons wanted to treat it conservatively with IV antibiotics, even though my white blood cell count was normal. I spent 14 days on antibiotics and ever since then have remained on ibuprofen and Panadeine constantly. It has been 8 weeks, I still have a sore, distended abdomen and sharp pains. I am being referred for endoscopy/colonoscopy now and then most likely another laparoscopy. No one knows what is going on and I am very much over being in pain. I wouldn't wish this on anyone. I'm actually glad to have found this page as most of you had perfect recoveries. I sometimes doubt this is really happening and if I just need to harden up!

Appendectomy - Complications Question: Please describe your experience with complications of appendectomy.
Appendectomy - Experience Question: Please share your experience with appendectomy.