Patient Comments: Appendectomy - Recovery

How was the recovery process for your appendectomy?

Comment from: Karen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I am 3 months post laparoscopic appendectomy and met with my surgeon this morning. I had three laparoscopic holes and the top healed but the bottom two have continued to be severely itchy and draining with constant slight serous drainage. A culture was started but after that the itching became intensely severe and is causing me to sweat. I was prescribed a cream to keep on the sites. I'm just wondering if anyone has had this type of response. I'm a 53 year old female with several prior surgeries and have never experienced anything like this. I am not overweight and have continued to be active.

Comment from: Tippy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

I had a laparoscopic appendectomy 11 days ago. Everything seemed to be going well until a week after surgery. I have a marble sized knot under my skin at the incision site to the left of my belly button. At first, it was a sharp pain, now it's just an achy pain.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 08

Sunday night I had occasional severe pain in rectum and trouble passing gas. I went into the emergency room on Monday morning and was diagnosed with appendicitis and prepped for operating that afternoon. It was my first surgery so I was pretty nervous. They removed my appendix and also a dead 'little fat ball' on my bowel (which was more likely the true cause of pain). The following day was pretty painful and I didn't do much but lay on the couch. Note: I only used ibuprofen for pain relief as the codeine-type stuff made me throw up. Wednesday there was still some soreness and difficulty moving around, but the worst was the shoulder pain from the gas used in laparoscopic surgery; it seemed better when lying on my back. Thursday was a pretty good day and I was able to get around outside the house and even went for a 2 mile walk. Today is Friday and I almost feel normal except when coughing, hiccupping, clearing throat, etc., then stomach muscles are pretty sore. It seems recovery is on track and I'll be back to work on Monday and hopefully normal exercise and snowboarding, etc., within another week or so.

Comment from: Realtor, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 25

I am a 45 year old male and I just had laparoscopic procedure done on my appendix. The appendectomy was done at 10 am and I was home at 4 pm. I do have a drain tube in my stomach area to remove fluid for a few more days till I do a follow up on the surgery. I figured it would be an easy recovery, but I have considerable pain in the former appendix area. It has been less than 24 hours since procedure and it takes great effort to get up and even walk. It is painful to laugh or reposition on a recliner. Hopeful it will ease in couple days. I just want to be back to normal.

Comment from: Muni408, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I am a 31 year old mother of 3, 115 lb. I am 7 days post appendectomy. I went to the emergency room (ER) last week on Sunday and was misdiagnosed with a urinary tract infection (UTI) and discharged. They sent me home with antibiotics and Zofran for the vomiting. Clearly the pain didn't subside and I ended back at the ER one and a half days later. This time they ordered an ultrasound and CT scan in which they found the perforated appendix. They informed me I would require immediate surgery but from the time they made the discovery to when I got to pre-operation my appendix ruptured. They performed laparoscopic appendectomy at 11 pm and my surgeon said it took about 1 hour to clean up the pus and remove what was left of the appendix. One day post operation I was feeling super bloated and sore. My throat hurt a lot too. I was so bloated I looked 4 months pregnant. Since then, my incisions have been fine, though some areas are still sore. Though I'm still feeling super bloated and I have a terrible pain in the right side of my mid/lower back and trouble breathing in spurts. It hurts to laugh and cough if I turn the wrong way. I'm still sleeping propped up too.

Comment from: Senior 68 yrs old, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

Last Tuesday I had laparoscopic appendectomy. Less than 2 hours later they sent me home in a lot pain and half way asleep. Forty-eight hours later the cut in my abdomen turned into a big huge bruise. The next day I went to see the surgeon and he told me, 'goodness, I never saw anything like that' and asked me if I took any aspirin. Of course I answered no, only the pain killer that they give me and my blood pressure medicine Zestoretic. This was his only explanation. He asked me to make the 10 days appointment. I am still in a lot of pain.

Appendectomy - Complications Question: Please describe your experience with complications of appendectomy.
Appendectomy - Experience Question: Please share your experience with appendectomy.