Patient Comments: Appendectomy - Recovery

How was the recovery process for your appendectomy?

Comment from: appljuiz, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I am a 27 year old female, 150 lb. By the third time I visited the emergency room (February 2015, August 2015, and February 2016) with severe stomach bloat/cramp pains (nausea, vomiting, sweating, chills, and difficulty walking), they ordered an ultrasound. My appendix could not be found via ultrasound because it lodged behind my bowel somehow. CT scan showed a perforated appendix, and a laparoscopic appendectomy was performed. It has been 5.5 days since (2 nights stay in hospital) and recovery has been difficult. Transition to solid foods has taken a toll on my bowel and intestines, and I get bursts of pain from the incisions and trapped gas or any sort of bowel movement. I would advise to keep sipping water throughout recovery, and keep cans of ginger ale or carbonated water around if you wake up in pain. In my case, the pain is quickly relieved by burping. Staying hydrated, moderate squats, walking and marching on the spot is helpful for bowel movement. I am alternating between Tylenol and Advil 2 every 3 hours but now I can occasionally stretch it to every 4 or 5 hours (oxycodone if I am desperate). I am eager to go back to work but as per the doctor's orders I won't start for another 7.5 days. Also, there is a risk of developing a hernia if carrying heavy loads too soon after surgery, so it is best to go slow and easy anyway.

Comment from: c3527, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 31

I am a 67 year old male in good health and reasonably fit and work out at a health club gym 5 to 6 days a week. I developed a dull ache near my navel on Sunday evening, gradually getting worse. By Monday evening, I went to the emergency clinic (after having vomited). I thought I had the 24 hour bug but wanted to be checked out. Blood work was done; white blood cell count was slightly elevated. No x-ray done. I was given some medicines to help with the nausea and discharged. Next morning the pain moved lower and was unbearable. I was admitted to the hospital through the emergency room. CT scan and x-rays revealed I needed emergency surgery. Appendectomy was performed late afternoon. Laparoscopic incision revealed the infection was much worse. So major surgery was performed. The appendix had gangrene and infection so severe that the area was flushed three times with saline solution (I had a great surgeon) and closed up with 18 stitches. I was in the hospital for eight nights and nine days. I was on IV antibiotics (two kinds, each two hours apart) about a week and tube down my nose to my stomach to drain bile, for a couple of days. I was on a catheter for several days; bowels didn't work for several days. Was extremely weak for about a week. No food for about a week. Discharge to home on day nine and on antibiotic (Augmentin 875 mg 2 times day for 7 days). I was very weak the first week home and was ordered not to do too much but to gradually do a little more each day. Amazingly (after best wishes from many and the loving supportive care of my wonderful wife) in about two weeks home, I had regained most of my strength (but had lost 13 pounds while in the hospital) and the incision was healing well. Now I am on week 5 after surgery and I am back to the gym with my old stamina on the treadmill. I am grateful to be alive as I read how serious my condition was.

Comment from: TdK, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 17

I'm 36 years old and in good health, reasonably fit but not a star athlete. I developed a slight abdominal pain some days ago, and what felt like bloating and mild constipation. Assuming it was only something I ate, I took some medicine for cramps. The pain lingered for a few days, sometimes being barely noticeable and rather annoying at other times, with a noticeably reduced appetite. On day 4, I realized that the pain was localized on the right of my stomach, by pressing on it, so I went to see my general physician. He diagnosed it as appendicitis, and arranged for conventional surgery that evening. I went into the theater around 19:00, and remember waking up around 20:30. I stayed in the hospital for the night, and awoke with no pain. I drove myself home the morning after surgery at 10:00, and took it easy for the day. It is now 3 days after the operation, and I have experienced almost no pain. I have a follow-up consultation scheduled with the surgeon in 2 days. I probably have some weeks before I can resume normal physical activities and exercise, and a lot can still happen during this time, but for now this has been an extremely easy and painless experience.

Comment from: Andrea V, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I woke up on a Sunday thinking I had the stomach flu. By 3 pm I was still throwing up and running a slight fever. I had my daughter bring me to the emergency room and I had blood, urine tests and a CAT scan. I went into surgery before midnight Sunday evening and woke up feeling so much better. I went into recovery, and within 3 hours I was up walking and 3 hours after up walking by myself. I have a little pain and I tend to get tired easily (it is only 2 days after surgery) but I feel fantastic! I can't thank my surgeon enough.

Appendectomy - Complications Question: Please describe your experience with complications of appendectomy.
Appendectomy - Experience Question: Please share your experience with appendectomy.