Patient Comments: Appendectomy - Describe Your Experience

How was the recovery process for your appendectomy?

Comment from: Connor, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: July 24

Back on a November night I began to feel some mild stomach pain as I was going to bed. I ended up waking up multiple times in the morning with extremely painful, lower right, abdominal pain. Around noon the next day I went off to an immediate care clinic where I had a CT scan done. I then went immediately into surgery, and it was done in about 2 hours. My hospital stay was great: I was able to control how much pain medicine I wanted, and I was out the next day, and was able to return to school the next week. The only annoying part about the whole thing was that they had to use a catheter after administering a ton of fluids in my IV. The laparascopic incisions healed up very fast because skin glue was used in place of stitches.

Comment from: mickiesmommy, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 13

My 10 year old had an emergency appendectomy on 2/22. Now it's been two weeks and she's gained 5 pounds, has a distended stomach, and has gone from majorly constipated to severe diarrhea. She also has stomach pain that's below the incision site. It feels like it tenses up and twists inside (her words). Her surgeon put her on probiotics to help regulate her, but the pain isn't getting any better. We're wondering if something happened during surgery to trigger these symptoms??

Comment from: Tarik, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 26

I had recurent pain for 2 years. The pain included vomiting and constipation. After an awful night where I had strong constipation, pain in my belly and vomited a little bit of blood. I decided to see a doctor. When I saw the doctor my pain had lowered, it was in the right side of my belly. They decided to do a CT and found inflamed appendix. They did the laporoscopy. 2 weeks later I was already dancing in the clubs.

Comment from: Kris, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I am a 15 year old girl. Two days ago, I woke up around 8 a.m. with abdominal pain which eventually concentrated around my lower right abdomen. At about 1 p.m. I went to the emergency room, got blood and urine tests and an ultrasound, and they determined that I had appendicitis. At 6:30 p.m. I had a laparoscopic appendectomy, and by 8:30 p.m. I was in my hospital bed, fully aware, and not in too much pain. That night I was doing homework and reading, and I could walk on my own. I was released at 10 am the next day with a prescription for pain pills that I have barely used. I slept a full 12 hours last night, and I feel great. Now it has been 42 hours since my surgery and I am in no pain, except when I walk and that is just a slight soreness. I am planning to go back to school tomorrow. I've been told that I am recovering spectacularly, and it may have something to do with the fact that I am young, otherwise perfectly healthy, and very active. I don't have fatigue and I am able to eat anything. This is probably a best case scenario, so good luck to everyone else!

Comment from: sunflower456789, 25-34 Female Published: September 26

Well, I'm glad everyone elses story was so great and easy for them. Mine was kind of different to say the least. I had pain in my lower right area, went to hospital, had a CT scan and it turned out to be appendicitis. Next, I had it removed. After I awoke is where my problem began. I couldn't breath and every single breath I took hurt. My body was breathing fast and that was out of my control. Seems like the doctors don't want to admit something happened during the laparoscopic appendectomy. For a full day after surgery if I sat up or went to the bathroom (anything that required movement) it hurt to breathe. I am still investigating this. I am doing better now but I would really like the truth on what happened.

Comment from: edwards1364, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 25

I am a 32 year-old male, after work one night I had a small amount of pain in my belly. The pain increased through the night and at 2 am I was at the ER. I had the laproscopic surgery at 9 am and was released at noon the following day. It is now 40 hours after surgery and my recovery is going quite well. What I think has helped the most is the use of an old cane I had in the garage. I have used it to help me move around the house and keep some of the stress of my abdomen. In fact my recovery is going so well I will most likely go back to work tomorrow. I hope my suggestion is helpful to anyone else who has this surgery.

Appendectomy - Complications Question: Please describe your experience with complications of appendectomy.