- Atrial Fibrillation Slideshow: Causes, Tests and Treatment
- Atrial Fibrillation (A-Fib) Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
- A Visual Guide to Heart Disease
- What brand names are available for apixaban?
- Is apixaban available as a generic drug?
- Do I need a prescription for apixaban?
- What are the uses for apixaban?
- What are the side effects of apixaban?
- What is the dosage for apixaban?
- Is apixaban safe to take if I'm pregnant or breastfeeding?
- What else should I know about apixaban?
What brand names are available for apixaban?
Is apixaban available as a generic drug?
GENERIC AVAILABLE: No
Do I need a prescription for apixaban?
What are the uses for apixaban?
- Apixaban is used for reducing the risk of blood clots in the heart and strokes in patients with atrial fibrillation who have no problems with their heart valves (nonvalvular atrial fibrillation).
- It also is used for treating and preventing deep venous thrombosis (DVT) and pulmonary embolism in patients who have undergone hip or knee replacement surgery.
What are the side effects of apixaban?
The most common side effects of apixaban involves bleeding in the:
- brain, and
Bleeding due to apixaban may be fatal.
Quick GuideAtrial Fibrillation: Heart Symptoms, Diagnosis, & Afib Treatment
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.