Patient Comments: Aortic Stenosis - Side effects

What side effects did you have with your aortic stenosis?

Comment from: Peter, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 21

Your explaining of Aortic Stenosis is 100% on target! I am 52 years old and was rushed to St. Francis Hospital back in July and had the Aortic Valve replaced. This column just hit the nail on the head explaining what I was feeling. The main side effect for me was shortness of breath. I could not walk 40 feet or a flight of stairs! I would be out of breath and get chest pains that would go away fast, as I rested. I only remember almost fainting twice, both times while playing golf, thank God for the golf cart, as I held onto the cart for dear life. I was also diagnosed with heart block, and a pacemaker was installed in December. After seven and a half months I am finally feeling somewhat better. I occasionally get dizzy, when I bend over, and I am still getting tired as the day progressed. I am walking for 30 minutes on the treadmill and 20 minutes on the stationary bike.

Comment from: 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 18

I am 20 years old and I am a rower at a University with aortic stenosis. I had open heart surgery when I was 7 weeks old to repair my bicuspid valve. Just a few weeks ago I had my first MRA done and the doctor notified me that the dilation of the root of my aorta is much greater than originally expected. He strongly suggests I do not continue to row. I have never really experienced a shortness of breath or chest pains out of the ordinary during strenuous activity. In 6 months I will have another MRA to see if rowing in fact does have an effect on my heart. My problem has never had an effect on my life and I am deeply hoping it does not begin now.

Comment from: Beth, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I was diagnosed with aortic stenosis 3 years ago when I was 58. It was caused by a bicuspid aortic heart valve. For most of my life I had no symptoms at all. However, after I turned 50, I noticed that I was very tired at the end of the day and also became breathless walking up hills, having to stop several times to recover. (I put this down to being overweight and unfit. and thought it was all my own fault!) Fortunately my GP realized there was something seriously wrong. I had the valve replaced with an artificial one 3 years ago and am now able to walk up hills without any problems.

Comment from: Jerry, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

At age 53 I was diagnosed with a heart an aortic valve issue. I went for ECG every year to monitor and measure the valve, it started at 1.7 mm in 2004 by 2011 it decreased to .7mm. I was symptomatic, with shortness of breath and pain in left arm with exercise. I was referred to a cardiologist in December 2011. On 12/9/11 I had an angiogram (catheter) and open heart surgery and had a replacement valve bovine put in, had oversized valve put in 25mm. Have felt great since.

Comment from: christielee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I am 43 years old. I have been experiencing terrible headaches and a drop in energy. I have never had blood pressure issues, but this year my blood pressure at its highest: 178/120. I was put on medication, but it was not keeping my blood pressure down. I also noticed my heart was beating so hard and "fluttering." I went to a cardiologist and after a CT scan, echocardiogram, blood work, and a stress test, I was told I have AS. I have appointments to have my eyes checked and I need a MRI to make sure that I am not having TIAs. After these tests, I will be scheduled for a heart catheter. This was a lot to take in and I am nervous as to what the future holds.

Comment from: brooke, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

I have had a heart murmur since I was a child. I've been diagnosed with severe aortic stenosis and my symptoms were dizzy spells and chest pain. This was discovered when my cardiologist ordered a stress test. Wish me luck and I hope others get the medical help they seek.

Aortic Stenosis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with aortic stenosis.
Aortic Stenosis - Cause Question: What was the cause of your aortic stenosis?
Aortic Stenosis - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of aortic stenosis?
Aortic Stenosis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, tests, or medications have you received for aortic stenosis?