Patient Comments: Aortic Stenosis - Side effects

What side effects did you have with your aortic stenosis?

Comment from: Chris, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

I'm 26 and have been experiencing chest pains and also some pains in my arms for the last four months or so. Researching my symptoms leads me to think I could be suffering from aortic stenosis. I've recently been to the doctor who listened to my heart and had an ECG and chest X-ray carried out. Apparently all these produced normal results but I feel the doctor is blowing me off somewhat (not taking the symptoms seriously enough). At the same time I don't want to tell him his job. I'm experiencing chest pain daily and am extremely concerned about it.

Comment from: writer01, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I have shortness of breath sometimes while walking at faster paces. I have to walk much slower than I used to. I have palpitations also. My medication metoprophol is helping some with the palpitations.

Comment from: peter, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 31

I am an 86 year old male. I play tennis 5 to 6 hours a week, walk 2 to 3 miles 4 times a week and work out at the gym for one hour twice a week. Recently while at the gym and starting a virus infection, I had a tachycardia episode and later light headed symptoms. This persisted for 2 days so I went to emergency hospital where ecg's confirmed a problem. Further investigation and echo cg diagnosed moderate Aortic stenosis. No immediate restriction but do not push too hard in the exercise.

Comment from: cegpilot, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 10

I have severe asthma also which is limiting me to have an aortic valve replacement.

Comment from: tedianem, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: February 24

My father who is 82 was just diagnosed with Severe Aortic Valve Stenosis...dizzy and blacking out for short periods of time. He is concerned about open heart sugery due to his age. In the meantime I watch while he slowly weakens. I pray each day for him to get well but I am only fooling myself. He is stubborn but I love him.

Comment from: wezzie7343, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 09

My 69 year old husband had pain on his left side under his ribs that felt like electric zaps and would radiate to his back. A CT scan shows calcification of the Aorta. He had a colonoscopy and presented pain in the right low back right after scope, this could be bacteria in the bloodstream from the scope.

Comment from: mike q, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 23

I'm 26 years old and got severe aortic stenosis. I've always done sports and been active, but lately I'm having blackouts in one eye and lots of chest pain daily. I'm scared because I also have a huge murmur and to top it off I'm allergic to anesthetic and have no health insurance.

Aortic Stenosis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with aortic stenosis.
Aortic Stenosis - Cause Question: What was the cause of your aortic stenosis?
Aortic Stenosis - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of aortic stenosis?
Aortic Stenosis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, tests, or medications have you received for aortic stenosis?