Patient Comments: Aortic Stenosis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with aortic stenosis.

Comment from: Grace1, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

About 5 five years ago I was diagnosed with aortic stenosis (AS) after a heart murmur was found. I also have lupus and have antibodies on the valve. I was recently told my AS is severe and I should face a replacement within 6 months, but I do not qualify for TAVR (transcatheter aortic valve replacement). At night I have more symptoms of irregular heartbeat, sitting up in bed to catch my breath. I am not sure I want to undergo open heart surgery.

Comment from: BrianN., 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 28

I was diagnosed with mild aortic stenosis (AS) and regurgitation when I was three years old. My gastroenterologist first heard my murmur which led me to my first cardiologist appointment. I have seen many amazing doctors, and have been on enalapril (Vasotec) since I was very young. I was told not to play contact sports, and to not hold my breath for a long period of time. I am not 25, and there has been no change over the years. In fact, because of that, the condition has actually gotten better, in a way. I am allowed to exercise, lift weights, and do whatever I want. The only problem I have is I am paranoid about my heart. I get palpitations, and many of the symptoms that would go with AS, but it's really just my severe panic disorder, which I have because of anxiety of my heart. My doctor said I will need surgery in my 5th or 6th decade of life.

Comment from: EFW, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 24

If the bicuspid valve is narrowing, causing extra pressure on the heart, and eventual heart failure, why do they leave it so long before they operate! Be careful when choosing a valve. I was told by my surgeon that a prosthetic valve could be replaced later without open heart surgery for aortic stenosis. I found out later that this was true only if the valve was at least 3 cm. My new one is just 2.1 cm. Then I was not told that the new bovine valve could also calcify, which is happening. They gave me no advice, and left me to choose. It should have been done earlier, and with a metal valve.

Comment from: journeyback, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 10

At 51 years old I was told I had mitral valve syndrome. For the record I am now 66 year old male recently diagnosed with aortic stenosis. I was having some isolated dizzy spells, heart murmurs and rapid heartbeats for no reason at all. I have since lost 15 to 20 lb., exercise, changed my diet, and ride a bike strenuously for 1 hour and have logged in approximately 3000 miles. I really don't have problems when I exercise strenuously. It's only at night that I feel the ticks in my chest but then they subside. My dizzy spells have subsided and I feel better now that I am exercising and on a better diet. No smoking, drinking or over eating. I am scheduled to go for yearly tests to monitor the progression of the aortic stenosis. Hopefully it will not get any worse.

Comment from: seniorcit, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

Twenty months ago my aortic valve was at the severe level of stenosis and I had valve replacement surgery with a pig valve. A recent echocardiogram and transesophageal ultrasound showed a much narrowed aortic valve and the cardiologist suggested another replacement surgery with a mechanical valve. I see the cardiac surgeon tomorrow. I do not want another surgery, I am still very tender from the last one and the thought of weeks of pain and recovery is daunting. I need to gather more information and review the recent tests, possibly a second opinion before I make my decision. I am 70 years old.

Comment from: ASarmy1987, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I am 45 and was told I have mild aortic stenosis (AS) with bicuspid aortic valve when I was 19. I was in the Army at the time. Military didn"t make me leave. I was watched all my pregnancies and worked full term with no restrictions. I get short of breath with exertion now that I am older, have heart palpitations and chest pain, also dizzy spells, and full checkup with a cardiologist every 2 years. No medication is needed. Best advice I can offer keep your weight within normal limits, no smoking, no drugs, and take your antibiotics as ordered.

Aortic Stenosis - Side effects Question: What side effects did you have with your aortic stenosis?
Aortic Stenosis - Cause Question: What was the cause of your aortic stenosis?
Aortic Stenosis - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of aortic stenosis?
Aortic Stenosis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, tests, or medications have you received for aortic stenosis?