Patient Comments: Aortic Stenosis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with aortic stenosis.

Comment from: t.s.i., 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 25

I was born with a severe case of aortic stenosis, so severe my parents were told I didn't have an aortic valve. At the age of 15 days I had open heart surgery to create an aortic valve since there are no transplant valves that small. Life was normal for 18 years but as my heart grew the man made valve didn't, so I underwent surgery and had a donor valve put in place. That lasted almost two years until my body rejected it, and they again replaced the valve with a my pulmonic and a donor valve replaced my pulmonic. I will again have to have surgery in the distant future but life with aortic stenosis is, if anything normal. I was able to do all things other kids did the only restriction was on contact sports like football. For anyone going through this defect know that you will have a normal life, and the risk is well worth the reward.

Comment from: patsy six, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: September 25

I have been told I have aortic stenosis. I am very, very tired and weak and have no strength. My muscle tone is 18 and normal is 25. I am very dizzy and get very shaky. I got dizzy the 1st of Sept and in the hospital three days. I am getting weaker everyday. They have me on depression medication and anxiety medication plus Plavix and cholesterol medication. My blood pressure is very low sometimes 95/45/62. I have been very dizzy and try to walk it off.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I am a 57-year-old female who has always had relatively good health. I was diagnosed with a heart murmur at around 30 years and have not had any symptoms until my 50s. I was diagnosed six months ago with aortic stenosis caused by calcification of the valve. It has a 9 cm opening, and I was advised to have the valve replaced at 7 cm. My symptoms are faint feelings after a sensation in the chest from interrupted blood flow and some occasional labored breathing in high humidity. However, I do fine with exercise.

Published: July 23

I have congenital aortic stenosis and am now 24 yrs of age. I had two balloon cauterizations performed when I was 3 months old and later when I was 2 or 3 yrs old. I had a valve replacement when I was 9 (tissue) and am now having the next valve replacement in 3 weeks. I now have severe stenosis and am frequently out of breath, very swollen in the legs, arms, and hands, and fall asleep randomly during the day. I also experience depressive symptoms which from what I've read is all related. Generally, I feel sick and exhausted at all times.

Published: June 26

When I was a teenager I was diagnosed with a heart murmur. Not until I was 45 years of age did I see a cardiologist who said I had aortic stenosis. now at 49 years of age I am starting to see symptoms, I had a migraine for the second time in my life time just one month ago, and feel now at times as if I will faint, I now have upper right quadrant abdominal pain and had a CT scan done. I will visit the cardiologist in just a few days for follow up.

Published: June 17

Following an increase in the frequency of migraine headaches; an unexpected discovery of hypertension; and a diagnosis of glaucoma, my primary physician suggested a battery of tests to determine the cause. I had an echocardiogram which indicated a mild to moderate aortic stenosis. Several months later, I fainted after walking late in the afternoon on a particularly hot and humid day. The fainting occurred after having dinner with friends (outdoors), which included drinking some beer. Due to the sequence of events, the fainting spell was not so unusual. However, I was taken to the emergency room by ambulance, and it was suggested that I see the cardiologist for further assessment. I had another echocardiogram and it was determined that approximately five months following the earlier cardiogram the aortic stenosis was now considered moderate. I have been instructed to call the cardiologist if I have chest pains, another fainting spell, and/or swelling in my legs or other symptoms. I will have another echocardiogram in six months, if I do not have symptoms before then.

Comment from: heart and hip, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 05

I am a male age 57 and was going in for hip replacement. I was told that my hip operation was canceled because I had scarring of the aortic valve (called aortic stenosis). Now I need to go in for more tests. The doctor told me that the only way to repair the heart is to replace the aortic valve. I would appreciate any advice.

Aortic Stenosis - Side effects Question: What side effects did you have with your aortic stenosis?
Aortic Stenosis - Cause Question: What was the cause of your aortic stenosis?
Aortic Stenosis - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of aortic stenosis?
Aortic Stenosis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, tests, or medications have you received for aortic stenosis?