Patient Comments: Aortic Stenosis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with aortic stenosis.

Published: July 25

I was born with aortic stenosis and had surgery at age 7 to correct it. I was followed for years with no problems, and then when I was 43, I began feeling dizzy during my daily runs and passed out at the completion of one run. I saw the cardiologist shortly before Christmas and had an echocardiogram, which showed that my mild-to-moderate stenosis had become severe in the space of six months. I had surgery in February of 2000 and received a homograft valve. I've been fine ever since and run four miles on a daily basis. I do not find aortic stenosis a hindrance to living life. I rock climb, run, hike, strength train, bike, do yoga, and dive. It is important to know your limits, take care of yourself, and have a good relationship with your cardiologist.

Comment from: Larry, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 24

I am a 56 yr old male and about 4 months ago I started getting dizzy spells and had to go down on 1 knee and hang on to what ever was at hand as I also had a episode of passing out while going up my stairs in my home. I also had chest pain that was like a heavy pressure and heaviness in my arms and legs and shortness of breath with profuse sweating, then I passed out for short period of time. I came to after about 30 to 40 seconds breathing hard and gasping for air. This lasted for about ten minutes. So I sought doc advice and was sent for meritorious tests. The echo gram was the test that showed I have severe aortic valve stenosis and then was sent to a heart hospital to consult with a cardiologist. They are now giving me a catherization to see how bad my heart is damaged and then a aortic valve replacement. Shortly I pray and hope as I have a 6 yr old to raise and a wife with a broken back . Thank God for modern day equipment that can detect these things before its to late to do anything.

Comment from: Nick, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 05

I am a 25 year old male. I was born with aortic stenosis. At less than a day I had to have open heart surgery to try and repair my aortic valve. All they could do then is snip the valve to make it open wider. They gave me a 50/50 chance to make it. At two years old I had a pigs valve put in as a conduit valve on the left side of my heart. I could run and play but no contact sports. At the age of 12 they did the "Ross Procedure" where they took out my bad aortic valve and put my pulmonary valve there and then put a human valve where the pulmonary was. I get checked every year with my cardiologist and I am doing fine. Children's Hospital in Pittsburgh is the best. The same surgeon did all three of my surgeries and I am forever grateful.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 18

I am 74 years old and have had aorta stenosis recently diagnosed. The doctor is taking a wait and watch path unless I have symptoms. I also have atrial fibrillation, osteoporosis, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and take medicines for all. I am very active. I thank the Lord for doctors and medication every day.

Comment from: stephw, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I was born with aortic stenosis and at the age of 6 months had my first open heart surgery. At the age of 10 I started to have some symptoms and they discovered the valve had narrowed. They decided to do the balloon. The day after Easter I went in for the procedure and they were not able to successfully complete it. About two weeks later I had open heart surgery and it was a success. Then at the age of 16 I started to have some symptoms again. Once again the valve had narrowed and they decided to try the balloon again they wanted to wait until I was a little older to replace the valve. This procedure was a success. At the age of 21 I went in for my annual checkup and once again it had narrowed. They decided it was time to replace it. They had first told me they were going to use a pig or mechanical valve and I would not be able to have children do to blood thinners. Thankfully they did a little research and found out that they were doing a new procedure where they would take a human valve and use the tissue to graph out a new. On and this type of valve it did not require blood thinners. We decided on that of course. I went to Sacramento and the surgery was a success. I was in and out of the hospital in 4 days. I feel great and it has been eight years they want me to hurry up and have children because they do not know the longevity of it. So I am hoping to have a child withing this next year. It will have to be monitored but I am just thankful for the technology and how much it's advancing each year who knows what they will be able to do even in the next couple of years.

Comment from: amamey, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 10

I was born with aortic stenosis and a bicuspid aortic valve. When I was about two weeks old, I stopped breathing and turned blue. I turned out to be fine, and I am 18 years old now. I have a murmur and a leakage in my heart. I get an echocardiogram and EKG every year, and I have to be careful not to do too much strenuous activities. Other than getting dizzy, random mild chest pains and trouble breathing every now and then, I am fine. Depending on how it goes in the near future, I may need to get a balloon angioplasty, but everything is looking good so far.

Aortic Stenosis - Side effects Question: What side effects did you have with your aortic stenosis?
Aortic Stenosis - Cause Question: What was the cause of your aortic stenosis?
Aortic Stenosis - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of aortic stenosis?
Aortic Stenosis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, tests, or medications have you received for aortic stenosis?