Patient Comments: Aortic Dissection - Experience

Please describe your experience with aortic dissection.

Comment from: Marty, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I had an acute dissection of my descending aorta. It presented with severe back pain and some chest pain. I was seen in emergency room (ER) and given nitroglycerin which provided more relief than the morphine. A CT scan revealed a dissection. The aneurysm was only 4 cm. However, due to the severe pain which continued a week while in CCU, an open repair was done with a Dacron graft. I was 54 years old at the time. I worked out several times per week, was not over weight, did not smoke and did not have high blood pressure, prior to the dissection. It is presumed that I have some type of hereditary connective tissue disease.

Comment from: wendy4sonny, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

My pain hit my chest like a telephone pole thrusting through me. I was driving down the road. Thank goodness I didn't crash! I had descending aortic dissection. Blood pressure was 200/90. I have a stent and had kidney artery surgery as the arteries were fibrous and wouldn't allow all those hormones to control blood pressure to get through. They said that I am extraordinarily young to have this and I'm a female. Lisinopril twice a day and my life is back to normal.

Comment from: Pruner, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I had open heart surgery for an aortic dissection seven years ago, and have been quite well with blood pressure and cholesterol monitoring since then. It is my understanding that the relatively delicate texture of my artery walls may have been a factor. For that reason, I have alerted other family members to be aware of blood pressure and cholesterol levels.

Comment from: Gigi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

My pain started out mild. I actually thought it was a cramp in the middle of my back. But as the day went on the pain increased. My husband rushed me to the hospital and it was first thought I was having a heart attack. But I was given nitro glycerin and when that didn't help and my blood pressure was nearly 200/100 I was rushed to X-ray. I spent 14 days in ICU before I began to make a slow recovery. That was 8 years ago and I am being treated by controlling my blood pressure as it is a descending dissection.

Comment from: Jon, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

About 5 years ago, I had severe abdominal pain (radiating from chest to groin and around to back) diagnosed as dissection in descending aorta with some internal bleeding. I was air lifted to Dallas. I was in the ICU. No invasive action was performed. Mesenteric ischemia was diagnosed and aorta valve replaced in March 2013. Pericarditis resulted in hospital visit 2 weeks later. In May 2013 I had pleural effusion. A hospital visit in January 2014 and leaky aortic valve was diagnosed that was said to be minor. I am getting frustrated. I feel fluttering / heart palpitations lately and I'm still being told my heart is fine.

Comment from: gdaygday, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 07

I just got the coroner's report for the death of my brother and it says "aortic dissection" associated with methamphetamine effect. I understand this means he had a tear in his aorta, but I want to know what could have caused this tear. I realize this doesn't mean any information given is conclusive for my brother's situation, but I just want to know the possible cause or causes to understand better. If someone could help, it would be much appreciated.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I had left shoulder blade pain along with some slight nausea and sweating. I called an ambulance and was rushed to the hospital with what ended up being an aortic dissection. I had coronary bypass surgery. I didn't have high blood pressure or any other risk factors – I think mine was a fluke. So far, I've lived for almost five years.

Aortic Dissection - Diagnosis Question: How was your aortic dissection diagnosed?
Aortic Dissection - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your aortic dissection?
Aortic Dissection - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, surgery, or medications did you or a relative receive for an aortic dissection?