Patient Comments: Anxiety - Attack Experience

Has your anxiety disrupted your quality of life?

Comment from: Swimgirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I have suffered with anxiety on and off all of my life. Having reached 62 I had a medical problem which resulted in a major anxiety episode, although truth be told I had not felt great for about a year before this. As a result of the anxiety I became depressed because I thought the anxiety was never going to leave me. In the past I have been diagnosed with depression but I realized that I only became depressed after a prolonged period of anxiety. This time I was in such an awful place that I was prescribed sertraline at 50 mg after other medication failed to help me. However I was also determined to find and participate in any method that may help. These are the things that worked for me. I read a self-help book and could immediately identify with a number of scenarios. I wasted no time in seeking help from my general physician, who was very supportive. I took her advice and as well as medication I saw a psychologist. This was a very positive experience and I was able to work towards developing thought techniques to alter the way my brain works. Some of these techniques relate to mindfulness and meditation. I worked hard and it was not easy but the good thing was I started to feel the benefit. I carried on exercising and seeing my friends even though it was an absolute struggle. I talked to them about it, mainly because I was not my usual self. I have now stopped the medication, doing it very slowly. I practice and remind myself of my new approach to an anxiety without fear daily, and try to live my life as best I can. I wish I had found these techniques years ago because they gave me so much confidence, but I am thankful that I have found a way that works for me now. Good luck to all fellow sufferers, I hope you find your own path.

Comment from: Fiftyseven, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I feel like I am going to throw up and sometimes I do. I worry about everything. I get carsick. My heart races and I just feel queasy and paralyzed, frozen with fear. I am terrified to leave my house and avoid it at all costs. If I am hungry, sometimes I would rather be hungry than go out and get food. If the phone or doorbell rings I panic, hide and hope they will go away and I am relieved when they don't leave a message.

Comment from: Wacko, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 21

I developed chronic anxiety 3 years ago after being diagnosed and treated for cancer, kidney problems, and gallbladder removal. I've tried 4 different types of psychotherapy, CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) being somewhat more helpful than the others psychobabble. Additionally, I have been on the gamut of antidepressants, which did more harm than good. Finally my doctor prescribed Ativan and Klonopin to try. They have been a life saver for me and changed my life significantly. However, all the negativity regarding benzodiazepines has caused more severe anxiety as now that I found something helpful I have to worry again that there is nothing for me except constant anxiety attacks. I have decided that the relief I get is worth it. That antidepressants are effective; yah, black box warnings of suicide, 6 to 8 weeks to determine they don't work, horrible physical side effects. Not for me! I take the minimum therapeutic dose, do not abuse or seek to get a high, don't drink alcohol, and follow up regularly with my doctor. I'm so much better now that it's a no brainer for me.

Comment from: kahowell, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I have anxiety and have had it for years but was finally recently diagnosed. When I have my attacks they mimic a stroke. I slur my speech, can't walk, have heart palpitation and they can hit me for no reason whatsoever, just out of the blue.

Comment from: mvcdollie, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I'm 23 and it's been 3 weeks now that I have felt the ugliness of anxiety. It was just from one day to the next. I felt as if I was going to die or I was having a heart attack. I got medication for it but the pills make me feel so down and I have no interest for a lot of stuff. I have a huge headache, I feel like my brain will just stop working. I don't want to rely on pills I just want to feel myself again.

Comment from: Anee, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

Yes, my anxiety has disrupted the quality of my life very much. I got 3.6 whereas I thought I would get 4.00 out of 4.00. I couldn't utilize my time accurately because of this.

Anxiety - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your anxiety?
Anxiety - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your anxiety?