Patient Comments: Anxiety - Attack Experience

Has your anxiety disrupted your quality of life?

Comment from: Sabu123, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 03

My husband is suffering from anxiety attacks. We are in our early fifties and things have changed pretty fast the past two years. He lost his job and trained for a new one, so he isn't home very often. He has lost a step-father, brother and sister. We had to sell our home and move into a rental. Our two sons are out of work right now and both are depressed. He is very worried about them. I spend hours on the phone with him trying to convince him it will be alright and doing my best to help him. He doesn't want to take medicine, but he has in the past for short periods of time.

Comment from: Tracey B., 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I've had panic attacks for the last three months. I thought I was dying! I went to the doctor, and he gave me Xanax. It worked OK, but I was still getting bad attacks. I went to join a gym and have been exercising four days a week, two hours a day, and that has been the only thing that helps. My goal is to get off the meds.

Comment from: bigb8484, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 18

I'm a 27 year old male and I have had anxiety for almost all my life. When I was young it was at night I would wake up in a panic and as I got older it progressed into being claustrophobic and going into a panic when in small cars or elevators and other small places. Now I still suffer this anxiety along with claustrophobic problems, but I can't get through it without anyone knowing it. The number one problem people have is not breathing. I just take a deep breath and tell myself everything is OK and just keep telling yourself that until it goes away.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 23

I am 27 years old. I had one panic attack while driving. I am not sure if it was from lack of sleep or too much caffeine. Something triggered it. After that I felt like I was going to die. I had horrible anxiety. I went to the ER and still to this day deal with anxiety. I have been dealing with it for two months now. I am seeing a therapist and my doctor prescribed me Zoloft. Getting help is the best way to deal with anxiety. You can't do it alone. I am still a work in progress.

Comment from: plmcat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

Anxiety is so terrible. I have lost jobs because I have severe nighttime anxiety and can't sleep, stay awake all night and then go to work and be totally ineffective. I lose friends because I isolate due to my anxiety. I gain weight because I eat to soothe myself and then hate myself for how fat I get which causes even more anxiety, it's a horrible thing in my life and I go through periods where I can manage it but if something happens unexpected that is negative in any way, I fall apart. I've been in and out of therapy for 20 years, been on antidepressants that didn't help and thought about ending my life more times than I care to say. My anxiety is from ptsd and it has ruined my life.

Comment from: Adolfo, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 11

I started suffering from anxiety in my 30s. My father suffered from it all his life and my younger brother also suffered from it when he turned mid 30. I found several things that help...YOGA has been a great help in calming the nervous system and giving me piece of mind. I have been taking Lexapro and Buspar but hope that with yoga I will eventually be able to go off the meds. Anxiety sucks big time... it robs you of the pleasures of life for no reason at all. If I do get external stress, then my anxiety amps ups. This is something that I believe I will need to manage for the rest of my life. My advise is to look into Yoga and meditation as a way of relaxing...and unfortunately no alcohol or caffeine!

Comment from: colemanst13, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 10

I am 34 and about a year ago, I began to feel dehydrated. At first, I felt I had shallow breathing, a weak voice, that I couldn't speak right, and an overall "heavy" feeling on my chest. I went to several doctors and the blood tests always came back negative. I was really discouraged because I had the symptoms on a daily basis. I then realized anxiety might be causing these feelings. After speaking to a few friends and reading sites like this, I realize that is exactly what I have. I heard exercising could help, so I went for a long run, and as I sit here, I feel better than I have in an entire year.

Anxiety - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your anxiety?
Anxiety - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your anxiety?