Patient Comments: Anxiety - Attack Experience

Has your anxiety disrupted your quality of life?

Comment from: Male (Caregiver) Published: May 16

My Father in law is 74 and started having anxiety attacks in January of 2011. Test found mass on his upper chest which we believe is what triggered it. The lump turned out to be negative and so are various tests, however, his condition is getting worse and it debilitated him. It's funny because he was normal last Christmas. Now he can't even bath, dress, feed, lay down/up by himself. His and his family's quality of life has been very low. He constantly says that he wants to die or he is going to die. We don't know what to do anymore. He is taking valium and ativan but they only work temporarily. We need to find a solution ASAP, before it's too late. Please advise if you have the same situation.

Comment from: laura, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 27

I have had anxiety and panic attacks for over 8 months now. It all started when I watched my partner have a seizure. Like everyone else I felt like I was going to die. I haven't had a panic attack for over 2 months now which is great, but still suffer with the physical side of anxiety like muscle spasms, aches and pains and irritable bowel syndrome. I refused to take any medication for my anxiety, so I tried acupuncture. It really works but takes time. From taking this route I don't get panic attacks anymore and I hope to be symptom free soon. Literally helps to think positive and don't let it over power you.

Comment from: I Hate Anxiety, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 17

I have social anxiety. Although I don't mind being in crowds, it's only when I have to prove myself to others, and I worry what others will think of me. I developed this anxiety at the beginning of last year. I have had some horrible panic attacks, even on one occasion when I was on a date with a guy. I honestly thought I was going to collapse or freak out. With my symptoms, it's not just feeling the fear, it's physical, too. I flush hot and cold, shake, and my jaw tenses. I feel as if I can't breathe when I'm talking; I get the urge to run or leave. I never used to be like this; I used to be really confident and happy-go-lucky. I have tried numerous medications and have spoken to many counselors, but I do feel as if I'm at my wits end. I'm currently taking Zoloft, which I have been on for four weeks. They are good, as they have hardly any side effects, but I don't feel as if there is any improvement as far as the anxiety goes. My doctor told me to stay on them as things usually start to get better after six weeks or so. I will see how it goes.

Comment from: daytona 93, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 03

I have had anxiety for the past six months. I found out the hard way: I was in bed with a bad cold and was not getting any better. After two weeks, I started to worry about my health and my family. Then it felt as if I was having a stroke. My hands and feet cramped up, and I could not stand up. I also could not control my breathing. After being rushed to the ER four times and having every test run on me, all the tests came back OK. I am still dealing with anxiety, but I am getting help from doctors and medication. This is a huge challenge in my life, but it does get better.

Comment from: Jynger, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

I began to have anxiety problems several years so in relation to my husband's health problems and my daughter's health problems. I worked as a nurse and sometimes felt I got "hit" with a couple of more patient as soon as I got home. I am not trying to be ugly, but no one can be "on" 24-7.But I would just use Klonipin at bedtime and I would be OK. Now, our problems are worsening and health wise, and I am really having problems with insomnia. I'm taking Klonopin and Ambien, and sometimes Benadryl, and I can be up all night. I've also tried Melatonin. I keep the room cool and a fan on low. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Comment from: B, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 02

Im 16 years old. 6 months back, is around the time I started noticing that something was wrong. After my boyfriend cheated on me. I took it pretty hard. Now I worry WAY to much, cry all the time, im very sensitive, irritated over every little thing, I dont see no interest in things I used to love to do. And, its getting worse... here the last few day, I have been having problems breathing. Right now, at thing moment its bad. And, my tummy hurts. I feel like im going to get sick. Its getting so close to having an attack.. I know it. I need to go see a doctor, but I havent yet.. Hopefully soon, I will. REAL SOON..

Anxiety - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your anxiety?
Anxiety - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your anxiety?