Patient Comments: Anxiety - Attack Experience

Has your anxiety disrupted your quality of life?

Comment from: I Hate Anxiety, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 17

I have social anxiety. Although I don't mind being in crowds, it's only when I have to prove myself to others, and I worry what others will think of me. I developed this anxiety at the beginning of last year. I have had some horrible panic attacks, even on one occasion when I was on a date with a guy. I honestly thought I was going to collapse or freak out. With my symptoms, it's not just feeling the fear, it's physical, too. I flush hot and cold, shake, and my jaw tenses. I feel as if I can't breathe when I'm talking; I get the urge to run or leave. I never used to be like this; I used to be really confident and happy-go-lucky. I have tried numerous medications and have spoken to many counselors, but I do feel as if I'm at my wits end. I'm currently taking Zoloft, which I have been on for four weeks. They are good, as they have hardly any side effects, but I don't feel as if there is any improvement as far as the anxiety goes. My doctor told me to stay on them as things usually start to get better after six weeks or so. I will see how it goes.

Comment from: daytona 93, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 03

I have had anxiety for the past six months. I found out the hard way: I was in bed with a bad cold and was not getting any better. After two weeks, I started to worry about my health and my family. Then it felt as if I was having a stroke. My hands and feet cramped up, and I could not stand up. I also could not control my breathing. After being rushed to the ER four times and having every test run on me, all the tests came back OK. I am still dealing with anxiety, but I am getting help from doctors and medication. This is a huge challenge in my life, but it does get better.

Comment from: kitten123, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I ended a great relationship out of fear for my future. Typically I always think about how my past effects my future, how my past effected my present, and how is my future going to be a reflection of my past. I also feel an internal block when I try to socialize; as if i cannot, and not supposed to do or say things that I see that are "normal." However, when I do try to act like the other "normal" people around me I still feel awkward. I simply CANNOT enjoy the things in life that a typical 20 year old should enjoy. It's tough for me to socialize, it's hard for me to keep relationships because of this. I am sick of it. I have had feelings of this since I was a kid. In middle school I began to have thoughts of suicide, later on in high school I was confronted by a teacher who read a letter that I was told to believe was going to be kept anonymous. Well, let me just say that soon I had my mother crying next to me on my way home. I need help, I know I do.

Comment from: Patient, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I have been struggling with anxiety and depression since 2004. I am 31 yrs. old and have been on numerous medications, which sometimes work then stop or just won't work at all. I don't even want to leave the house or work. I have no energy or drive to do anything I used to love. I can't even concentrate. It actually is at the point where when I am asked if I want to do this or that, I say "I will see how I feel". It's so depressing, and NO ONE can understand what you are going through unless they have been there themselves. If we could "just snap out of it", I most certainly would. They just don't get it.

Comment from: Al, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 13

Anxiety has effected my life in such a way that I can no longer go outside for long periods of time. I even get sick because of it in the heat of summer. I also have difficulty sleeping because I try to concentrate on fighting it off and yes you can fight it off but, it really depends all the person and symptoms. I've also had anxiety attacks far away from home, and I didn't know what to do. I'm 23 and I'm too young for this to disrupt everything so early in life if I was like 50 or older than so be it. I tell my friends that I'm always suffering and sick but, they just say suck it up buddy lets go out and have some fun its all in your head. What people don't seem to realize is how bad anxiety can truly be until they get it if at all.

Comment from: Marcelo Rivera, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 16

I have been suffering from social anxiety for about thirty years now, and for many years I did not know what it was, but after reading a great variety of books about social anxiety, I discovered my problem, but I was afraid to take any drugs to control my mental condition due to side effects etc. It was in October of 2010 that I talked to my doctor, and she prescribed Citalopram. It is now March 2011, and I have never felt any better in my entire life. I have not suffered from any side effects, and my anxiety has disappeared and only with a low dosage of 20 grams every night. In fact, I am taking speech classes to regain the person that I was meant to be, a loving social human being.

Anxiety - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your anxiety?
Anxiety - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your anxiety?