Patient Comments: Anxiety - Attack Experience

Has your anxiety disrupted your quality of life?

Comment from: its bad11, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: May 17

I've had anxiety ever since I was 19, when I had my first child. I used to throw up every day and have horrible anxiety attacks. At one point, I went to the hospital twice a week. I told myself I wouldn't live past 25. Well, after three years, I finally found a doctor. She is amazing. I've told her everything about my life and she put me on Ativan (2 mg daily), Pristiq (50 mg), and mirtazapine (45 mg). I don't have panic attacks nearly as bad any more. My advice would be to find an anxiety doctor who has been doing this for awhile. If you don't, the only thing that will 100% stop your anxiety is Xanax. Sorry if you don't think this is right, but people need this stuff. That's why doctors and scientists made it.

Comment from: Nikki, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I have been dealing with anxiety for just about my entire life. People have always told me, “Get over yourself.” I have one great friend who I have known for almost three years. She noticed things about me and explained to me why she felt that way. She has been a big help to me. I am afraid to meet new friends and go places by myself. I am not a sociable person. I have so many fears and my friend said I have symptoms of anxiety and autism. I went to my mental health therapist and was told I am fine. I was very upset and it was hard for me to explain why I felt upset. I found another mental health center and was diagnosed with anxiety and autism. I am still struggling with my symptoms, but I feel better talking with the new therapist.

Comment from: Chelle2, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

Went through a health scare and still don't know if it was kidney stones or gallstones. I couldn't eat for a month and my stomach is still upset. I wake up in a panicked state and pray that intense pain will never happen again. I have dealt with anxiety off and on for years, but this has been the worst experience ever. I've gone to the hospital three times and each time I was assured nothing is wrong, but I just can't shake it which I can usually do with a few days or a week of taking Xanax. I want to go back to feeling like myself. I know what I need to do, I need to go see a psychologist and work it out not only for myself, but for the good of my family.

Comment from: Ariana F, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I'm 15 years old. I just recently started to have anxiety/ anxiety attacks. I feel like I can't breathe, etc. I know this isn't who I am I want to be HAPPY, going to school, and just go back to where I was two months ago. This is all just new and scary to me. I can't wait to go to counseling to see if that helps!? I really would like to get over this anxiety without medication because of the side effects. All my family tells me it's going to be fine, and I know it is, it's just going to take time. I just need to think positive and have faith!

Comment from: sallyy101, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

I'm only 17, and was told I have anxiety at the start of this year. For a while I thought I had it but was scared to tell anyone because my best friend also has anxiety, i thought people would think that I'm looking for attention. I find it hard to explain my anxiety to people. It physically makes me sick and I feel as if I can't breathe. I get this because I'm scared of so many things. I can't get into a car without thinking about having an accident; germs being everywhere, small or big changes in my life also cause them to happen. I haven't seen anyone about it yet. I'm too scared of what they will say and think of me. But now looking at what everyone has said has encouraged me to finally see someone.

Comment from: Male (Caregiver) Published: May 16

My Father in law is 74 and started having anxiety attacks in January of 2011. Test found mass on his upper chest which we believe is what triggered it. The lump turned out to be negative and so are various tests, however, his condition is getting worse and it debilitated him. It's funny because he was normal last Christmas. Now he can't even bath, dress, feed, lay down/up by himself. His and his family's quality of life has been very low. He constantly says that he wants to die or he is going to die. We don't know what to do anymore. He is taking valium and ativan but they only work temporarily. We need to find a solution ASAP, before it's too late. Please advise if you have the same situation.

Comment from: laura, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 27

I have had anxiety and panic attacks for over 8 months now. It all started when I watched my partner have a seizure. Like everyone else I felt like I was going to die. I haven't had a panic attack for over 2 months now which is great, but still suffer with the physical side of anxiety like muscle spasms, aches and pains and irritable bowel syndrome. I refused to take any medication for my anxiety, so I tried acupuncture. It really works but takes time. From taking this route I don't get panic attacks anymore and I hope to be symptom free soon. Literally helps to think positive and don't let it over power you.

Anxiety - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your anxiety?
Anxiety - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your anxiety?