Patient Comments: Anxiety - Attack Experience

Has your anxiety disrupted your quality of life?

Comment from: mary, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 09

My husband developed anxiety when he was 60 years old. It has had a major effect on our marriage and life. He is making irresponsible decisions regarding our home and assets out of fear of death. He wants to sell everything and spend the money after 40 years of working to get to where we are. It is very difficult to cope. His anxiety is causing depression not only for myself but for our ten year old disabled son. He is taking meds but they seem to be of little help. He is up all night and paces. I really worry that something more then anxiety is happening here. It is ongoing and does not let up. There is no real break or attacks. It seems to be constant with little let up.

Comment from: wanna be normal, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

I am 23 years old; I have suffered from anxiety for about 8 years now I was always able to get through the attacks and nerves until about 2 months ago. I seem to be afraid of a lot of things but the biggest is riding in a car. I was doing good had my job for 4 years but to months ago my car broke down and I got a new one. I have ridden in my car twice the last 2 months, I quit my job. I wanted to work it out myself but I fear that I can't. I am currently looking for other means of help and medication. I also have some other medical disorders and I feel my body wearing down fast with my anxiety.

Comment from: Taylor, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I am eighteen. I have been suffering from what I believe is anxiety/panic attacks. I have had attacks ever since I was 12. I have a number of symptoms. I feel as if my family doesn't understand, I feel alone. They tell me it's all in my head. I have had attacks at school, when I have been out with friends and at work. I physically get extremely sick and yet they still tell me it's all in my head. Hopefully I can get the help and medication needed so I can lead what normal life I have.

Comment from: Mary, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I have been on antidepressants for more than 20 years. They have saved my life. Recently, after having a hysterectomy with removal of ovaries, I started developing panic attacks. It was horrible. I switched from Lexapro to Paxil; It made a huge difference and has definitely improved my quality of life. The panic attacks are virtually undetectable. For those who are scared to get help-please don't be. Your gp can prescribe anti-anxiety meds or a psychiatrist. Perhaps counseling may benefit you as well.

Comment from: Chelle2, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

Went through a health scare and still don't know if it was kidney stones or gallstones. I couldn't eat for a month and my stomach is still upset. I wake up in a panicked state and pray that intense pain will never happen again. I have dealt with anxiety off and on for years, but this has been the worst experience ever. I've gone to the hospital three times and each time I was assured nothing is wrong, but I just can't shake it which I can usually do with a few days or a week of taking Xanax. I want to go back to feeling like myself. I know what I need to do, I need to go see a psychologist and work it out not only for myself, but for the good of my family.

Comment from: Ariana F, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I'm 15 years old. I just recently started to have anxiety/ anxiety attacks. I feel like I can't breathe, etc. I know this isn't who I am I want to be HAPPY, going to school, and just go back to where I was two months ago. This is all just new and scary to me. I can't wait to go to counseling to see if that helps!? I really would like to get over this anxiety without medication because of the side effects. All my family tells me it's going to be fine, and I know it is, it's just going to take time. I just need to think positive and have faith!

Comment from: sallyy101, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

I'm only 17, and was told I have anxiety at the start of this year. For a while I thought I had it but was scared to tell anyone because my best friend also has anxiety, i thought people would think that I'm looking for attention. I find it hard to explain my anxiety to people. It physically makes me sick and I feel as if I can't breathe. I get this because I'm scared of so many things. I can't get into a car without thinking about having an accident; germs being everywhere, small or big changes in my life also cause them to happen. I haven't seen anyone about it yet. I'm too scared of what they will say and think of me. But now looking at what everyone has said has encouraged me to finally see someone.

Anxiety - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your anxiety?
Anxiety - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your anxiety?