Patient Comments: Anxiety - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your anxiety?

Comment from: Kaleen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 19

I have had anxiety and panic attacks for 35 years. I tried just about everything. I take alprazolam, the only thing that works. It's generic for Xanax.

Comment from: jesse686, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 01

I've suffered from anxiety since I was a little boy at the age of 8 or so, but was too young to know why. My heart would race for no reason and I would get so scared for no reason. I went to my doctor at the age of 16 and was put on Xanax 3 times daily and I could actually go out in public and not be afraid to leave my house! Since 19 I switched to Klonopin 4 times daily and being currently 23 all I have to say is these medicines help hugely if you're severe as myself. Remember you are all not alone everyone! Anxiety runs in my family and yes, it's gotten in the way of my life and relationships. Stay calm and relaxed as possible!

Comment from: Jemeni, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 27

No treatment has been effective for my anxiety. I've been trying different medications for over a decade now and nothing works.

Comment from: Dpforlife, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 20

I had my first panic attack when I was 16 years old. I am now 40, and I still have generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) and panic attacks as well. I've tried everything, Lexapro, Prozac, Wellbutrin, nothing really worked for me except what we call benzodiazepine! Xanax by far is the best, Ativan works good too. I have been taking 1 to 3 mg a day of Klonopin for the last 12 years. If I stop taking medication, I feel like I'm going through withdrawal, horrible! I guess my point is all benzodiazepines are highly addictive, but you just can't stop taking them!

Comment from: BKSG, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 09

I have been suffering with general anxiety disorder (GAD) for almost 20 years now. The worst thing that I have found is "doing nothing at all." One of the things that has really helped me has been physical exercise, namely running. If I am able to put in about 20 miles per week, that significantly reduces my anxiety. A relatively low dose of Clonazepam at bedtime has dramatically increased my ability to sleep. Although I have read many books on anxiety, and gone through the "Attacking Anxiety and Depression" series, the relatively new therapy called ACT (Acceptance and Commitment Therapy) is a very effective general approach to relieving some of my avoidance tendencies and not letting anxiety interfere with general life. Finally, deepening a spiritual walk of life through meditation and prayer has helped heal some of my past stressors. My experience with anxiety has been that there are both biochemical and environmental aspects to this problem, but it can be managed with some mindful awareness. People who have known me for years say that I am much more "laid back" than I have been in the past. It is "work," but the payoff in living a joyous, effective life has been worth the energy.

Comment from: BillBill, Male (Patient) Published: August 05

I need a doctor to prescribe me Xanax or Klonopin or Valium for my anxiety. I am having trouble finding a doctor who will in my area.

Comment from: cjudy13, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 10

Ativan and psychotherapy have helped my anxiety. I also have bipolar one disorder.

Comment from: Pcofwork, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

I have been diagnosed with PTSD (posttraumatic stress disorder) for almost 9 years, due to multiple childhood traumas. I've been on over a dozen anti-depressants; aside from an abundance of terrifying side-effects, nothing. It just seems to be getting worse. I can't work, constantly feel butterflies in my stomach, feel like I can't breathe, and I'm going to pass out. My heart races, my mood swings are crazy, and the simplest tasks overwhelm me. For the first time, I feel like I've found a medication that works for me - Ativan. However, I only get 21 a month, and my doctor is extremely reluctant to either raise the dosage, or allow me to take it, or another benzodiazepine to treat this. I only take them when I have a panic attack, or when I'm tired of the insomnia. I also take Effexor 75 mg, and 150 mg of Seroquel, among other things. I am so tired of living this way, what do we do! I have a prior history of addiction, was prescribed morphine for a decade, ended up self-medicating because of my anxiety. I've been clean for over 4 years, have never abused my benzodiazepine one time, but I'm nervous to push for it given my prior history.

Anxiety - Attack Experience Question: Has your anxiety disrupted your quality of life?
Anxiety - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your anxiety?