Patient Comments: Anxiety - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your anxiety?

Comment from: Jemeni, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 27

No treatment has been effective for my anxiety. I've been trying different medications for over a decade now and nothing works.

Comment from: Dpforlife, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 20

I had my first panic attack when I was 16 years old. I am now 40, and I still have generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) and panic attacks as well. I've tried everything, Lexapro, Prozac, Wellbutrin, nothing really worked for me except what we call benzodiazepine! Xanax by far is the best, Ativan works good too. I have been taking 1 to 3 mg a day of Klonopin for the last 12 years. If I stop taking medication, I feel like I'm going through withdrawal, horrible! I guess my point is all benzodiazepines are highly addictive, but you just can't stop taking them!

Comment from: BKSG, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 09

I have been suffering with general anxiety disorder (GAD) for almost 20 years now. The worst thing that I have found is "doing nothing at all." One of the things that has really helped me has been physical exercise, namely running. If I am able to put in about 20 miles per week, that significantly reduces my anxiety. A relatively low dose of Clonazepam at bedtime has dramatically increased my ability to sleep. Although I have read many books on anxiety, and gone through the "Attacking Anxiety and Depression" series, the relatively new therapy called ACT (Acceptance and Commitment Therapy) is a very effective general approach to relieving some of my avoidance tendencies and not letting anxiety interfere with general life. Finally, deepening a spiritual walk of life through meditation and prayer has helped heal some of my past stressors. My experience with anxiety has been that there are both biochemical and environmental aspects to this problem, but it can be managed with some mindful awareness. People who have known me for years say that I am much more "laid back" than I have been in the past. It is "work," but the payoff in living a joyous, effective life has been worth the energy.

Comment from: MoonFairy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I have chronic depression and anxiety since I was around 10. I recently started going to a new psychiatrist who has helped by understanding.

Comment from: msm, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 24

I have battled dysthymia for most of my adult life, and recently started battling anxiety along with it. Until recently, I have tried to battle the conditions without medications. At age 40, I have given up. My anxiety got to the point where after I took a shower and got dressed for work, I would be sweating so badly that I would have to change my clothes again before leaving. I would be dry-heaving and choking the whole time. It was horrible. I recently was prescribed lorazepam, and it has been a wonderful thing. I feel as though I have gotten my life and memory back. I can finally function. However, my doctors will be pulling me off of it as they claim it should only be used for short-term use. I'll find out what will be the substitute next week.

Comment from: Ivan, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

I started to have a problem when I was 18/19. At the start, I did not know what it was, now I am 29. I tried to manage/suppress the problem for many years. I came across as a normal person, educated, ambitious and very goal driven. But throughout the years, I was always anxious about things, exams, interviews, dates, illness, I was always stressed about things that may or may not have happened. I thought it was normal, until this year, I had a few setbacks. I was anxious for a good two months to a level that I could not control myself, I couldn't sleep, I couldn't focus at work, I was very irritable and craved food with high calories; until a couple of weeks ago when I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression problem, and medicated on Lexapro!

Comment from: manomuthu, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

I am ok with alprazolam, lorazepam or diazepam.

Anxiety - Attack Experience Question: Has your anxiety disrupted your quality of life?
Anxiety - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your anxiety?