Patient Comments: Anxiety - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your anxiety?

Comment from: AJ , 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 09

I am a man who cannot drink alcohol. I become violently sick if I drink. When I went to my psychiatrist for anxiety, he tried Depakote, which caused extreme heartburn with vomiting. We then tried Cymbalta to no avail. After that, because I am not able to drink and I do not abuse any substances, he was willing to do what I really wanted, which is the old-fashioned type of treatment, including Valium, Xanax and Restoril for insomnia. People have low opinions of these medications because they have a street reputation and can be abused. Some say they only work temporarily. This has not been true with me. I have been taking 1 mg of Xanax daily and 30 mg of Temazepam as needed for sleep for more than a year and they still work with no ill effects. If they are taken as directed, these are the best and most helpful medicines for anxiety, and the only ones that really cut the mustard, in my opinion.

Comment from: Andy K, 55-64 Male Published: September 09

After two years of medical problems where I was in the hospital more than I was out, I developed general anxiety disorder (GAD) and started to take “benies,” namely Klonopin. This eventually led to an addiction to benzo tranquilizers and the pain medicine (Percocet). After putting this problem to rest, I was introduced to Buspar. After one month, I was on my way to recovery. My GAD, which led to painful anxiety and panic attacks, is under control now and thanks to Buspar, I am clean, sober and really like myself and my life.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I am 19 years old and have been dealing with anxiety since I was 9. My brother passed away when I was 9 and ever since then, I've been dealing with depression and anxiety. Nothing happened for a while and all of a sudden about a month ago, I started feeling really distant, as if my body wasn't connected or something. My head feels really strange, and it's hard for me to drive and function. I start to drive and the road seems funny, and it feels as if I'm not in control of my body parts. It's a struggle because I have a 1-and-a-half-year-old son that I have to be with every day. My doctor put me on Zoloft, but I didn't like it. Then she put me on Seroquel, but I can't take that either. I just keep praying that something is going to change, but I know I need medication to deal with everyday life.

Comment from: Ljrose, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

I'm 45 years old, and I started having panic attacks about a year ago after I started taking blood pressure medications. To make a long story short, after many visits to the doctor and different anxiety pills, I have found a wonder pill you won't believe: Zyrtec for allergies. I know it sounds crazy, but it works, and now you can buy it over the counter. It relaxes your nerves and makes you feel very calm. I just wish the doctors would research this. It works for me

Comment from: Stressed John, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 04

I am 33 and have had anxiety for as long as I can remember. The toughest part is letting go of trivial problems. A small burp in my day and I can carry the issue for years. I was on Zoloft years ago but stopped taking it because I felt better. That was short-lived. I am now taking Cipralex to treat depression, but I think it is due to anxiety and constant worry, not depression. My anxiety goes in waves and usually causes big problems with my concentration and leads to big mistakes.

Comment from: Rosemary17, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I'm 17, and my anxiety started when I was 13 years old. It was when I lost my grandfather and my aunt later that year. I've had it for about four years, and I never said a word about it until I started yelling at my mom for no reason. I never did that. So I went to see a psychologist about it then stopped for a few months. Just recently, I went to my doctor and she prescribed Paroxetine, which is an antidepressant something similar to Paxil. I don't know if this is going to work, but I hope it does.

Anxiety - Attack Experience Question: Has your anxiety disrupted your quality of life?
Anxiety - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your anxiety?