Patient Comments: Anxiety - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your anxiety?

Published: May 29

Exercise and having time to yourself to just focus on me was a great help to my anxiety. I even stopped taking medication for a long period of time.

Published: May 23

Lexipro has been an amazing help for me. I have lived with this problem since my childhood and since taking Lexipro about five years ago I now have almost eliminated my anxiety problem.

Comment from: georgia_534, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

Lexapro helped me with my GAD. I have had it since I was about 12. I started with Lexapro about a month ago and all my symptoms are gone. I can finally live without feeling sick all the time now.

Comment from: pAce, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 19

I had been taking 1 mg lorazepam for my anxiety for about 2 years, and became very dependent on it to sleep. I told my doctor that I didn't want to take lorazepam anymore, and she helped me with a schedule to reduce the medication. I have been off of drug for 2 months it had been tough, but it was worth it through diet and exercise.

Comment from: shineabove, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

I just found this site, and I have dealt with anxiety for a long time. It seemed to be worse after my mom died, maybe that is where it begun. I have tried some different types of medicines. I tried Tranxene for a short time, initially after I take it it does seem to calm me down, but then I felt agitated. I talked to my doctor -- now I am trying Lorazepam, I hope it helps with my anxiety.

Published: July 30

I'm 36 years old and had grown up in foster care due to abuse. I feel that I'm a smart guy. I just can't seem to hold down a job, or relationship and drink and smoke. I dabbled with drugs and have taken medication. They send me mad or make my sex life a living hell. I feel this problem is not taken seriously. The doctors are not too interested in me because I drink and smoke but the meds they give me don't give me any release. The drink and cigs do in a warped sense. I feel like someone or thing is constantly twisting me or pushing me. I try and rationalize my worries but this often leads me deeper into panic.

Published: July 16

I have been dealing with anxiety for years, and the best remedy for it is the use of Xanax or Klonopin. My only problem is doctors who don't want to leave me on the medications for very long periods of time.

Published: July 07

I take anxiety meds as prescribed by my doctor. Sometimes I hold off and try meditation, physical exercise. I find that music can take me away to a pleasant thought and can sometimes help. If I can concentrate, I read ... usually a magazine, but if I can concentrate on a book I love to read and get lost in the book. I am fortunate to have family and close friends that I can talk to and they give me support to overcome the anxiety before I run to the medicine cabinet.

Published: July 07

I have been on Lorazepam for four years, and it has helped me to cope with my daily life. However, if given a choice, I wish not to be on it. I do a lot of self reading on mind power, and positive affirmations and to some extent it helps. Anxiety is managed by several factors such as diet, family and friends support, meds, exercise, distractions and so on.

Anxiety - Attack Experience Question: Has your anxiety disrupted your quality of life?
Anxiety - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your anxiety?