Patient Comments: Anxiety - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your anxiety?

Comment from: Stressed John, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 04

I am 33 and have had anxiety for as long as I can remember. The toughest part is letting go of trivial problems. A small burp in my day and I can carry the issue for years. I was on Zoloft years ago but stopped taking it because I felt better. That was short-lived. I am now taking Cipralex to treat depression, but I think it is due to anxiety and constant worry, not depression. My anxiety goes in waves and usually causes big problems with my concentration and leads to big mistakes.

Comment from: Rosemary17, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I'm 17, and my anxiety started when I was 13 years old. It was when I lost my grandfather and my aunt later that year. I've had it for about four years, and I never said a word about it until I started yelling at my mom for no reason. I never did that. So I went to see a psychologist about it then stopped for a few months. Just recently, I went to my doctor and she prescribed Paroxetine, which is an antidepressant something similar to Paxil. I don't know if this is going to work, but I hope it does.

Comment from: Danielle, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

So far, I've only had one panic attack. I'm 19 and have been on Zoloft and Lexapro before. I had my first panic attack in Wal-Mart. I couldn't find my party and started sweating, crying and my vision was going black. Also, I got very light-headed and could hardly breathe.

Comment from: Worried One, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 11

I was diagnosed with anxiety disorder in 2004 after my grandmother passed away. I went to the doctor several times thinking that I was having a heart attack. The doctor told me that my heart was fine. He said that it was anxiety and prescribed me Lexapro. It helped me tremendously, and after about the first year, I took myself off the medication. My father passed away in April, and I think the anxiety is back. For the past few days, my heart seems like it is racing up and then slowing down over and over.

Published: July 10

I come from a family, my dad was irresponsible and left mom on her own, we were left alone, all brothers and sisters when at some point, I was kid and hearing horror stories, like evil coming to eat boys. I was very OK, but in life always worried about small things, until I got married. Being away from my wife, caused me strange feelings, finally I opened this site and read about anxiety so now I understand I had anxiety for years, but didn't know about it. Anyhow, since few days, it feels like my heart beats SO FAST, and feel like there is a ball in my life (the heart and muscles) and it beats badly fast. It is a panic, and the only thing that helps me now is to take one tablet of 0.5mg of Alprazolam (Xanax) and it helps me calm down. I do my prayers, and as soon as I know the panic attack comes to me, I take a short walk around my room (office or home). I smoke too much, which I know is bad, and I wish there was one day to stop it, specially when there is panic attack and cigarette becomes a killer-friend and you just want to smoke, nothing else.

Published: June 16

I have anxiety and panic disorder, which I had for years. Except my anxiety disorder started causing me to have (rapid heart beat) which also feels like my heart skips a beat then beats fast. I had all tests performed on my heart and all of the tests were negative. The diagnosis was just plain anxiety; I am taking a medication which helps me a lot. I do breathing exercises sometime to help me too calm down. It might seem hard but I am learning to overcome my anxieties which I know I can not do over night - every thing takes time.

Published: June 13

Being placed on a medication called Clonazepam 0.5 mg and talking to close friends. Also attending church on a regular basis helps.

Published: May 30

I participated in a cognitive behavioral therapy group and learned "worry management strategies." This was a few years ago, and even though I will still get anxious, I feel that I at least have a tool for dealing with it.

Anxiety - Attack Experience Question: Has your anxiety disrupted your quality of life?
Anxiety - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your anxiety?