Patient Comments: Anxiety - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your anxiety?

Comment from: MoonFairy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I have chronic depression and anxiety since I was around 10. I recently started going to a new psychiatrist who has helped by understanding.

Comment from: msm, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 24

I have battled dysthymia for most of my adult life, and recently started battling anxiety along with it. Until recently, I have tried to battle the conditions without medications. At age 40, I have given up. My anxiety got to the point where after I took a shower and got dressed for work, I would be sweating so badly that I would have to change my clothes again before leaving. I would be dry-heaving and choking the whole time. It was horrible. I recently was prescribed lorazepam, and it has been a wonderful thing. I feel as though I have gotten my life and memory back. I can finally function. However, my doctors will be pulling me off of it as they claim it should only be used for short-term use. I'll find out what will be the substitute next week.

Comment from: girlygirl30, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I have had anxiety since I was 17. I am now 30. I do pretty well at controlling it on my own, but at first, I thought I was dying. My doctor put me on Wellbutrin, and it works great. If I need medicine now for my anxiety, that's what I get.

Comment from: alichiarae, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

I'm 20 years young and had my first anxiety attack a couple of years ago following graduation. For the longest time I did not know what it was. I thought I was dying and about to have a heart attack. I start trembling, getting chills all over and sometimes it feels as if I'm being choked and can't breathe. My doctor put me on Zoloft a year ago. I stopped taking it and the anxiety got worse. After my grandmother passed away and a lot that has happened this year in my life. I need to go back to the doctor!

Comment from: miara26, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I have had anxiety for years now and I'm only 26 go figure. The very first panic attack I actually realized was when I was at work. I almost past out. I went to the ER and they said I had anxiety. Apparently I've had it for quite sometime before someone realized that's what I had. I still have it bad. I just started taking Lorazepam and Klonopin a year ago and I try not to take it unless I really need it. I try to manage it myself which is really hard and took years of therapy to try and manage it without meds but still I end up having to take a pill at one point during the day. My anxiety is from being in the military. I thought I would have been fine but I guess not. It's hard having a lot of anxiety because I have to rearrange my life just to have a decent day. Before I used to be able to do anything and everything and not have any worry, but now I worry about everything. I can't even hardly drive cause I panic, let alone walk in a store by myself without feeling like I'm loosing my balance or going to pass out. I been to the doctor a million times swearing up and down something is wrong with me because I constantly lose my balance and feel like I'm going to faint, but its nothing but my anxiety.

Published: July 01

I alternated back and forth with Xanax, Ativan and Klonopin for more than 20 years and was able to function. These drugs gave me a life. I now have no health insurance and am pretty much a miserable hermit. I tried the SSRI drugs, and they only made me mentally sluggish and confused.

Comment from: manomuthu, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

I am ok with alprazolam, lorazepam or diazepam.

Comment from: Ivan, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

I started to have a problem when I was 18/19. At the start, I did not know what it was, now I am 29. I tried to manage/suppress the problem for many years. I came across as a normal person, educated, ambitious and very goal driven. But throughout the years, I was always anxious about things, exams, interviews, dates, illness, I was always stressed about things that may or may not have happened. I thought it was normal, until this year, I had a few setbacks. I was anxious for a good two months to a level that I could not control myself, I couldn't sleep, I couldn't focus at work, I was very irritable and craved food with high calories; until a couple of weeks ago when I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression problem, and medicated on Lexapro!

Anxiety - Attack Experience Question: Has your anxiety disrupted your quality of life?
Anxiety - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your anxiety?