Patient Comments: Anxiety - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your anxiety?

Comment from: ann, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

Xanax helped get my life back after running from doctor to doctor. Now I have moved, I'm having problems getting my medicines. Doctors should know more about this anxiety disorder. I don't want to be house trapped again!

Comment from: Hanging On, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 07

I have suffered generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) since I was 19; I am 50 now. It got to the point where I was nearly home bound. The panic attacks scared me the most until one day I gave in and let it flow. I even fed it by telling myself that this was it and that I was going to die. After a few minutes it subsided - and I didn't die. Now I recognize it for what it is and its power over me is not as profound as it was when I was younger. I still have GAD and will worry when I am in a traffic jam but at least I am functional. Now I am starting to deal with old age issues (yes, only 50 but I do qualify for American Association of Retired Persons). I'll be going back to the doctor and getting back on Lexapro. That drug definitely helped me before.

Comment from: alwaysonedge, 19-24 (Patient) Published: June 30

I have severe agoraphobia with panic attacks, social anxiety, PTSD (posttraumatic stress disorder), and ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) as far as anxiety diagnoses go. I have tried all the routes to get relief. Everything from Ativan, Xanax, Valium, SSRIs (serotonin-specific reuptake inhibitor) and all the other anti-depressants, anti-psychotics, anti-seizure pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizers, high blood pressure pills, hydroxyzine, Buspar, you name it. I have also tried eating healthy, exercising, yoga, therapy, DBT (dialectical behavior therapy), CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy), natural solutions, and been hospitalized too many times. Even turned to drugs and alcohol at one point because that was all that would help. I just want to be able to leave my house, walk my dog, go to the store, say hi to my neighbors, and work. I can't do those things. Valium is the only thing that has ever helped me besides opiates and they took me off of it. I am very sensitive to medications and Valium is the only one with no side effects. Some anti-depressants have even landed me in the emergency room (ER) from a serious reaction. No longer a quality of life with this severe anxiety. I wish doctors could understand just how hard it is to survive this way, but I think you don't understand until you've had anxiety yourself. The medical profession needs to step up their game and start serving the patients' needs and helping them live the best life they can. Good luck to those with anxiety, the struggle is all too real. We need better doctors in this world.

Comment from: Annie Angst, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I have had anxiety all my life. I never could enjoy life as I saw my friends doing. It wasn't until I was in my 60s that I was diagnosed with anxiety. Lexapro helps but I take Ativan to help me sleep and on occasion to help me through social events. I need to go to church but the thought of going and meeting new people frightens me. I don't do a lot with friends because it wears me out emotionally. My husband is very understanding but I feel like I am stifling his life with my affliction.

Comment from: MoonFairy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I have chronic depression and anxiety since I was around 10. I recently started going to a new psychiatrist who has helped by understanding.

Comment from: msm, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 24

I have battled dysthymia for most of my adult life, and recently started battling anxiety along with it. Until recently, I have tried to battle the conditions without medications. At age 40, I have given up. My anxiety got to the point where after I took a shower and got dressed for work, I would be sweating so badly that I would have to change my clothes again before leaving. I would be dry-heaving and choking the whole time. It was horrible. I recently was prescribed lorazepam, and it has been a wonderful thing. I feel as though I have gotten my life and memory back. I can finally function. However, my doctors will be pulling me off of it as they claim it should only be used for short-term use. I'll find out what will be the substitute next week.

Anxiety - Attack Experience Question: Has your anxiety disrupted your quality of life?
Anxiety - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your anxiety?