Patient Comments: Anxiety - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your anxiety?

Comment from: Pcofwork, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

I have been diagnosed with PTSD (posttraumatic stress disorder) for almost 9 years, due to multiple childhood traumas. I've been on over a dozen anti-depressants; aside from an abundance of terrifying side-effects, nothing. It just seems to be getting worse. I can't work, constantly feel butterflies in my stomach, feel like I can't breathe, and I'm going to pass out. My heart races, my mood swings are crazy, and the simplest tasks overwhelm me. For the first time, I feel like I've found a medication that works for me - Ativan. However, I only get 21 a month, and my doctor is extremely reluctant to either raise the dosage, or allow me to take it, or another benzodiazepine to treat this. I only take them when I have a panic attack, or when I'm tired of the insomnia. I also take Effexor 75 mg, and 150 mg of Seroquel, among other things. I am so tired of living this way, what do we do! I have a prior history of addiction, was prescribed morphine for a decade, ended up self-medicating because of my anxiety. I've been clean for over 4 years, have never abused my benzodiazepine one time, but I'm nervous to push for it given my prior history.

Comment from: ann, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

Xanax helped get my life back after running from doctor to doctor. Now I have moved, I'm having problems getting my medicines. Doctors should know more about this anxiety disorder. I don't want to be house trapped again!

Comment from: Hanging On, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 07

I have suffered generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) since I was 19; I am 50 now. It got to the point where I was nearly home bound. The panic attacks scared me the most until one day I gave in and let it flow. I even fed it by telling myself that this was it and that I was going to die. After a few minutes it subsided - and I didn't die. Now I recognize it for what it is and its power over me is not as profound as it was when I was younger. I still have GAD and will worry when I am in a traffic jam but at least I am functional. Now I am starting to deal with old age issues (yes, only 50 but I do qualify for American Association of Retired Persons). I'll be going back to the doctor and getting back on Lexapro. That drug definitely helped me before.

Comment from: alwaysonedge, 19-24 (Patient) Published: June 30

I have severe agoraphobia with panic attacks, social anxiety, PTSD (posttraumatic stress disorder), and ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) as far as anxiety diagnoses go. I have tried all the routes to get relief. Everything from Ativan, Xanax, Valium, SSRIs (serotonin-specific reuptake inhibitor) and all the other anti-depressants, anti-psychotics, anti-seizure pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizers, high blood pressure pills, hydroxyzine, Buspar, you name it. I have also tried eating healthy, exercising, yoga, therapy, DBT (dialectical behavior therapy), CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy), natural solutions, and been hospitalized too many times. Even turned to drugs and alcohol at one point because that was all that would help. I just want to be able to leave my house, walk my dog, go to the store, say hi to my neighbors, and work. I can't do those things. Valium is the only thing that has ever helped me besides opiates and they took me off of it. I am very sensitive to medications and Valium is the only one with no side effects. Some anti-depressants have even landed me in the emergency room (ER) from a serious reaction. No longer a quality of life with this severe anxiety. I wish doctors could understand just how hard it is to survive this way, but I think you don't understand until you've had anxiety yourself. The medical profession needs to step up their game and start serving the patients' needs and helping them live the best life they can. Good luck to those with anxiety, the struggle is all too real. We need better doctors in this world.

Comment from: Annie Angst, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I have had anxiety all my life. I never could enjoy life as I saw my friends doing. It wasn't until I was in my 60s that I was diagnosed with anxiety. Lexapro helps but I take Ativan to help me sleep and on occasion to help me through social events. I need to go to church but the thought of going and meeting new people frightens me. I don't do a lot with friends because it wears me out emotionally. My husband is very understanding but I feel like I am stifling his life with my affliction.

Anxiety - Attack Experience Question: Has your anxiety disrupted your quality of life?
Anxiety - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your anxiety?