Patient Comments: Anxiety - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your anxiety?

Comment from: girlygirl30, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I have had anxiety since I was 17. I am now 30. I do pretty well at controlling it on my own, but at first, I thought I was dying. My doctor put me on Wellbutrin, and it works great. If I need medicine now for my anxiety, that's what I get.

Comment from: alichiarae, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

I'm 20 years young and had my first anxiety attack a couple of years ago following graduation. For the longest time I did not know what it was. I thought I was dying and about to have a heart attack. I start trembling, getting chills all over and sometimes it feels as if I'm being choked and can't breathe. My doctor put me on Zoloft a year ago. I stopped taking it and the anxiety got worse. After my grandmother passed away and a lot that has happened this year in my life. I need to go back to the doctor!

Comment from: miara26, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I have had anxiety for years now and I'm only 26 go figure. The very first panic attack I actually realized was when I was at work. I almost past out. I went to the ER and they said I had anxiety. Apparently I've had it for quite sometime before someone realized that's what I had. I still have it bad. I just started taking Lorazepam and Klonopin a year ago and I try not to take it unless I really need it. I try to manage it myself which is really hard and took years of therapy to try and manage it without meds but still I end up having to take a pill at one point during the day. My anxiety is from being in the military. I thought I would have been fine but I guess not. It's hard having a lot of anxiety because I have to rearrange my life just to have a decent day. Before I used to be able to do anything and everything and not have any worry, but now I worry about everything. I can't even hardly drive cause I panic, let alone walk in a store by myself without feeling like I'm loosing my balance or going to pass out. I been to the doctor a million times swearing up and down something is wrong with me because I constantly lose my balance and feel like I'm going to faint, but its nothing but my anxiety.

Published: July 01

I alternated back and forth with Xanax, Ativan and Klonopin for more than 20 years and was able to function. These drugs gave me a life. I now have no health insurance and am pretty much a miserable hermit. I tried the SSRI drugs, and they only made me mentally sluggish and confused.

Comment from: nanagoat, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 01

I have had anxiety attacks sense I was a kid didn't know what it was until I was about 21 years old. I feel as if i am having a heart attack. When that starts I feel as if I'm going to die which brings on the full blown attack. I have always been told that I wasn't going to die but that's hard to understand when you have this disorder.This is something that can be controlled through meds, exercise and medical help. However I don't think its something that will ever go away it just gets easier to control. I have found prayer to be the best medicine. I feel for the young people who are suffering from this disorder. I know they feel as if this will never end but take it from someone who has dealt with it for 40 years there will be good days and bad days but you start to have more good than bad. I see where some of you stop taking your medication that's the worse thing you can do. Stay on your medicine if that's what it takes we are know different than someone dealing with high blood pressure or any other illness. Always tell yourself this to shall pass.

Comment from: Babe48, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I Have ptsd and hyperactivity and also major trauma i have a qq to ask im a drug addict who take suboxone! I notice that it s not enought to calm me down so i took clonipin it helps but im still feel anxiety breathing down some!! I can t sit still or relaxing i move lot !! One thing is bothering me is my mind can t stop running over and over !! What should i do??????

Comment from: Anxiety sucks, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 02

I have tried every drug treatment available. So if have any advice – it is that Xanax works well for anxiety.

Anxiety - Attack Experience Question: Has your anxiety disrupted your quality of life?
Anxiety - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your anxiety?