Patient Comments: Anxiety - Symptoms

What symptoms do you experience with your anxiety?

Comment from: Hairdo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

I had usual sore muscles on Friday. I always get some and stiffness around weather changes. I woke up Saturday with a 2 inch diameter rash on my back. I thought I had poison ivy. At this time I have no pain and it only slightly itches so I have not scratched. By Tuesday I decided it could not be poison ivy because it would have itched worse. I had suspicions it was shingles. I still had no pain. I went to the doctor and they say it is shingles and prescribed anti-viral medicines. I can't figure out why I am not having pain.

Comment from: Daphne, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 03

I had my first anxiety attack in late October of 2014 at the age of 71. It struck so sudden, I didn't have a clue. I started feeling anxious and scared, couldn't eat or sleep, watch TV, had to have all lights on at all times and even sent my husband out to buy lighter lampshades. I couldn't be in crowds like in malls, restaurants or even church; I would start breathing hard and getting scared. Finally after five days I went to my doctor and she gave me Zoloft which really helps; just a small dose.

Comment from: CP1976, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I get heart palpitations daily and adrenaline rushes because of my anxiety. I'm constantly in fear I will die in my sleep, or that I have a brain tumor or have heart disease despite my heart tests being normal. I startle easily, I cry easily, I have obsessive racing thoughts, and I get icepick headaches and muscle tensions and twitches. Sometimes I get weird sensations and zaps in my head where I'm convinced I will drop dead.

Comment from: sarah22, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I had my very first panic attack scare on my birthday last year, ever since then I can't shake the anxiety throughout the days. I went to the hospital that day because I thought I was having a heart attack, I had weakness in my legs, dizzy, and I felt like I couldn't breathe. It's really hard to go through every day thinking that you are going to die. I get aches in my left arm sometimes, and that immediately triggers my anxiety. Sometimes, there won't even be a trigger, I just start to notice my breathing, and something inside of my head ticks, and bam, anxiety attack. I've avoided taking medicine for it, because I don't want to live a life depending on medicine. I've tried many breathing techniques, and yoga helps a lot as well. Although these changes have helped, every time I start to think I am okay, my anxiety starts again. I know there are so many people out there that live this life, and it helps ease my mind connecting with all of you.

Comment from: karishma t., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I am suffering from generalized anxiety disorder (GAD). I get palpitation and I feel dizzy and I have uneasiness to go out. I don't feel normal to go out. It's just not worth living. I feel hopeless.

Comment from: toucko, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 30

I worry about everything; I can't leave a dish in the sink. I am taking Xanax but it is no help. I started getting night terrors this year, sometimes so bad I will stay awake for 3 days at a time. I fear going to new places because I might get lost. I have found a new doctor I'm waiting to see. I need higher dose of benzodiazepine to calm me and let me sleep. I also take Adderall.

Comment from: Madam DRS, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I am 28 years old. I have been on antidepressants for 7 years. I still have depressive episodes. I had my first big panic attack two years back just when I thought I was relaxed walking in a shopping mall after a nice movie. I got scared of nothing, I worried but with no real cause, fast heartbeat and sweating and my limbs were shaking terribly. I got annoyed easily, in the shop I got irritated having to stand in a queue. Anxiety attacks make me loathe everything and everyone, I don't want to talk. I can't work, can't think, can't eat, want to sleep but can't fall asleep. It's terrible to explain to other people. Then I break down and cry.

Anxiety - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your anxiety?
Anxiety - Attack Experience Question: Has your anxiety disrupted your quality of life?