Patient Comments: Anxiety - Symptoms

What symptoms do you experience with your anxiety?

Comment from: Raw, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I am suffering from anxiety and it is hard explain the symptoms. I feel like I'm so nervous and scared over nothing, my heart is beating fast and I hardly breathe, pain in my chest especially in my heart side, pain in my back, and loss of appetite. I feel sometimes pain in my tummy. The major issue here is I can't sleep easily. When I have it I struggle to sleep and sometimes I go to work without having any sleep, which makes it worse.

Comment from: Toscar1960, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I have had all of these symptoms regarding anxiety, and I really don"t know how to approach my doctor about this. I have been to the emergency room a lot thinking that I was having a heart attack and was tested and they told me I was fine.

Comment from: chestpainchelsea, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I have had anxiety since I realized I was alive. I somehow survived up to this point, 55 years, but I cannot enjoy being outside my apartment much before I'm literally frazzled to my core, dying to get back to my own "shelter." Yet I do not take prescription anxiolytics because they blunt my perceptions to the point where I can't truly feel sadness, and as trivial as that may seem to some, I find it terrifying. I have been hospitalized twice since going through menopause with panic attacks. They are so bad I just decided I will catch/check the process in time to never, ever, ever, let it whip me again. Yet even now I have a hideous tightness and pressure in my left side and chest. Yup, it could be a major heart attack and I don't give a damn, because I'd rather cope with these symptoms and drop dead than to be indifferent to ugliness, cruelty, and rudeness which should properly generate feelings of sadness, fear or despair for things beyond my control. Why numb and dumb down? I'd rather be taken out by heart failure.

Comment from: Lareina76, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I suffer from anxiety everyday at least twice a day. It feels like my life is ending and I can't breathe. My mind goes blank, my legs go out, my arm as well. This is so depressing. I can't go out in public, I get dizzy, no air. It's just horrible.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

I am 40 years old and have had anxiety/panic since I was a teen. It got worse after I had my kids in my 20's. I started Zanex in my 30's as needed. That does help, it is a very temporary help. I maybe used 6 pills a year. Things got worse and last year I got on Lexapro. I was on it a year, felt great and so I went off of it. Big mistake! I was good for about 4 months then had attacks again. I am now back on it and having panic attacks while it is trying to get used to my body. The pharmacy says they anxiety/panic will go away 1-2 weeks after I started the pills or after I upped the dosage. I am upping my dosage to the whole pill tomorrow and hope to get this all over with so I can feel good again. I finally felt like I had a life when I was on these last year. I didn't panic and I even went places without spending the day in the bathroom. My usual symptoms are hot flashes, heart palpitations, fidgety, jittery, sometimes legs go numb. Sense of not being here and fearful, going plain crazy. One of my fears is taking medications, that is why it took me 40 years to take this. I had minimal side effects the first time. This time I am having the anxiety but I know after I get through this next week or two I will be fine.

Comment from: Smith, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I find that I am generally more high-stress than many of my friends. I feel anxious frequently, but suffer no physical consequences.

Anxiety - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your anxiety?
Anxiety - Attack Experience Question: Has your anxiety disrupted your quality of life?