Patient Comments: Anxiety - Symptoms

What symptoms do you experience with your anxiety?

Comment from: IrisElizabeth, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I worry about minute things and can't help it. I worry about being around a lot of people, too much noise, kids going to school, having more than one thing to do in a day, making phone calls, if people will smell, if they will cough, blow their nose, or even sniffle all gross me out and cause anxiety. This causes me to not go out a lot. I prefer shopping at night where there will be less people. If we go to a restaurant, I can't look at others eating and if I get full, I am most afraid people will do the things that make me nauseous.

Comment from: LEA, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I have intense anxiety which turns into full blown panic attacks with in seconds. The symptoms consist of rapid heart rate, sweating,facial tension, nausea, sense of dying or passing out, a feeling that Im not alive, blurred vision, numbness of arms and legs, diahrrea, upset stomach, and dizziness. I am taking Vistaril which only relieves some of the symptoms. The benzodaizapines are addicting so therefore my doctor does not prescribe any. I am suffering enormously. I do visualization and meditation which helps at times. I also do deep breathing exercises when Im able to. Anxiety and panic is crippling at times.

Comment from: melonball, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 08

My father passed away in 1992, and I started having anxiety attacks after that. I was like everybody trying to find help. I've had this miserable feeling for 20 years now. I've used Xanax for temporary help. I use my own therapy now. I walk the dog every day two miles and lift 40 pounds of weight five days a week. I take over-the-counter CALM , which is a mixture of magnesium and calcium. It seems to really help me cope.

Comment from: Robert, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 31

I was studying in class with both girls and boys. I was so afraid of talking to girls of high natural beauty. I was in that class three years. My brain seems so damaged that I could not turn my head and look around. I felt like there is a spike at the back of my head and I always have teary eyes which bothers me a lot. As a result I have too much head twitching now that I cannot talk to anybody face-to-face. I always have to lean on something to prevent my head twitching and talk. Does anyone else has this symptom?

Comment from: peace be still, 25-34 Female Published: June 20

I am 31 years old, and the first time I had an anxiety attack was around 23 years old. I was stressed because my parents had died and I didn't how to handle it. When I got the tightening of chest I felt as though I was gasping for air. It lasted about 5 minutes and when I got the second one I was pregnant and I was 26 and it was as though I couldn't breathe. My chest locked so tight I started to cry because I thought I was dying. My husband was telling me to relax, but of course that didn't help and made it worse. But after I calmed myself and went to the doctor and was diagnosed with anxiety.

Comment from: Keith01, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 05

I wake up every morning. With anxiety and worry. What's going to happen 90 % of the time. I pray more than anyone or just as much. The anxiety gets so bad I don't want to live sometimes.

Comment from: sad-sack, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 19

I am 32 year old women with two small children, I am socially isolated because I stay home with them a lot and we live in country. Most my friends are very busy and don't have time for meeting up anymore. But my anxiety with my life is helped when I am not alone. I view that me at home with my kids is pretty much me alone cause they are so young. I try to keep busy with moderate exercise, going outside or cleaning house but I am always grateful for night time, but now I have trouble sleeping. I have had full on panic attacks after physical traumas like surgery in the past when I thought I was dying and couldn't breathe. I have decided I am a bit depressed and that could be what is resulting in anxiety and negative attitude.

Comment from: carcar, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

My anxiety has ruined my life. I am no longer able to go out due to the fact I have a panic attack every time I do. My symptoms of a panic attack include a sense of dread and fear, and feeling out of control. I get a dry mouth, choking feeling, shortness of breath, heart palpitations, chest pains, dizziness, and trembling. It's so awful I don't know what to do anymore!

Anxiety - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your anxiety?
Anxiety - Attack Experience Question: Has your anxiety disrupted your quality of life?