Patient Comments: Anxiety - Symptoms

What symptoms do you experience with your anxiety?

Comment from: skittles, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I am 41 year old female who has within the last year experienced anxiety. The first episode I had was at a restaurant and out of the blue I felt like things were closing in on me and that something terrible was about to happen. I had to get my food to go and went home to only find out I was still freaking out that something was going to happen to me even at home. My recent thoughts are that no one loves me or cares about me. I also overthink everything from why am I here or what do I want, basically feel lost and alone. It gets very difficult not to take something just to numb yourself for a while, because you know the thoughts will be back and then I get all emotional and sensitive.

Comment from: Chels2012, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I have had anxiety problems since I was 14, at which time I began medication. I was picked on in high school starting in 9th grade (which triggered it more). My anxiety feels like I'm out of my body. My hands feel numb and I feel like I'm going to faint or have a seizure. That is my fear, that I will faint in public or seizure in public. Even writing about this now makes me feel like fainting. I am constantly shaking my leg or something, and I always pick at my hands. But when I panic I just think I'm out of my body. I feel like nothing is real. If I don't touch things a certain amount of times, something bad will happen to me, like my mom will die, or my dog, or someone will get hurt. I am 24 now and am just wondering if this is going to last forever. I can't even walk in the back of a supermarket without freaking out that I'm going to faint my hands numbing . It's horrible. I'm on Prozac right now and I just wonder and wish I could just be normal.

Comment from: midlife crisis, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

i am 50 years old and had my first panic attack 10 years ago while driving on a rural highway. because i have a heart murmur i thought it was a heart attack. i pulled into a driveway and the woman there happened to be an e.m.t. what a relief! after that i had a few more attacks.i was fine until my husband had a heart attack in 2009 he received 3 stents and takes 9-10 pills a day. 3 months later i was diagnosed with severe anxiety and was prescribed alprazolam. i was insulted. the bottle said "for depression". i was not depressed. i took half a pill "only as needed" maybe 1-2x week i then started to worry about my adult children and having a heart attack and that i would die, and not see my grandchildren. things i had no control of. dec 2011 my heart started to race night after night,i worried alot, had tense muscles, headaches, couldnt sleep, used the toilet frequently-still do),was tired all the time,startled by any noises,came close to blacking out while driving. then i was prescribed sertraline-it made me nauseous. i threw them away. so i suffered for 2 more months until i was prescribed paroxetene. today i no longer feel as if i am going to die. and i have been blessed with 2 beautiful granddaughters 2years old and a 4 month old.i couldnt be happier!

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 11

When I have anxiety I get a "skipping" sensation of a missed heart beat or, more accurately, like a hiccup from my diaphragm, dizziness, unsteadiness, racing/pounding heart, burping or need to burp, the need to move my arms or do something with my hands, shallow breathing, feel like I may lose my balance, difficulty swallowing, feel hot - especially in the face.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I 21 and I have really bad anxiety-most of the time it happens at night and I can't sleep. My heart beats really fast and my mind races. I feel like a failure as I think of my regrets and I get depressed. Asking people to pray for me has been a big help.

Comment from: junior, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 08

I'm 23 years old and I started having anxiety when I was about 19. It made me physically ill to a point of deep depression and I had to take time off from my EMS job because leaving my house threw me into a panic no matter where I tried going. With time I learned how to control it without medication by just focusing on something else. My family was very helpful in this but now that I'm on my own and living in a different state, my anxiety has peaked again where I have tightness in my chest, trouble breathing, trembling, and I feel like I'm going to pass out or die. I need help with this .

Anxiety - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your anxiety?
Anxiety - Attack Experience Question: Has your anxiety disrupted your quality of life?