Patient Comments: Anxiety - Symptoms

What symptoms do you experience with your anxiety?

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I have experienced light headedness, hot flashes, weakness, racing heart, shakiness, tingling in my limbs, my bottom lip pulsates- you can even see the pulse-, major headaches, tiredness, pure fear that I am losing my mind, fear that I have no control over my life, and I cannot tolerate any noise. The fear that you are losing sanity is the worst.

Comment from: sdr0701, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I have been getting anxiety attacks for years. Yes everyday stress is the #1 cause of it for me. The only med that helps me is Xanax. I know that doctors do not like to give these pills to patients but they are the best pill out for it. I think they should legalize this pill. I've tried other anti anxiety pills my doctor put me on but they just do not work. Yes they made me feel laid back more and happy but the anxiety attacks were still with me. Xanax is the only med that relieves it. I'm sure that a lot of other people agree.

Comment from: shaky, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I was shaking more often, not being able to sleep through the night. I lost my step dad, biological dad and my grandma all within 4 months apart and I thought I could handle it but I guess not. I was just put on paxil yesterday and I'm going to see how this works.

Comment from: 55-64 Male Published: June 12

While I was employed by a state prison system, I had some anxiety during duty. This started about after 18 years of service. I was put on Paxil ER and was fine. I retired, and about 3 months before retiring I came off the drug and have not been on it since. I am now into my 3rd year of retirement and still no anxiety. I feel it was the job stress that contributed to the anxiety. I am not sure if this can be cured or not, but for me it has gone and glad. I came off the drug with my doctors permission and doing fine.

Comment from: OG, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 08

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and was given a CPAP machine to "treat" it. First night home with it I fell asleep right away, but woke up 30 minutes later ripping the mask off and having a terrifying feeling of impending doom. I was crying and couldn't get back to sleep for seven hours. Didn't realize what a panic was but I think this qualifies. A few days later the machine pressure was reduced and I used the device for three hours or so. I woke up feeling irritable, edgy, and whole body tingling. Three weeks or so later I realize I've got anxiety. I still have shortness of breath, reduced appetite, feelings of despair, tingling in my extremities and lightheadedness. I've seen my doctor to get help and have information on therapists.

Comment from: Ladybee70, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

Just started having them. Shortness of breath, heart palpitation, restlessness, and weakness in my legs. It all started with a chest cold. The mucus in my throat kept me thinking I would not be able to breath or swallow. I was also having hot flashes. This started 2 weeks ago.

Comment from: skylar, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 20

Sometimes I feel like I'm going crazy. I feel lightheaded, dizzy, sick to my stomach. I feel like when I'm out people are staring at me and I don't know why. I'll be sitting in the subway and all of a sudden I will get this weird feeling. I look around to see at least 30 people on the subway car and immediately I get up and move to the other end of the car to get away from everyone because I feel trapped. I'm pushing family away. I hate being outside around people and sometimes I just want to cry just out of the blue for no reason.

Comment from: stlsam, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 20

Tightness on the sides of my mid-section, then my heart rate goes sky high (100bpm), incredible fear, inability to think logically, can't focus mentally, mind races from one 'little worry' to the next until I'm totally overwhelmed by it. And none of it is rational.

Anxiety - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your anxiety?
Anxiety - Attack Experience Question: Has your anxiety disrupted your quality of life?