Patient Comments: Anxiety - Attack Experience

Question:Has your anxiety disrupted your quality of life?

Comment from: Dan5161, Male (Patient) Published: March 25

Anxiety has affected me in a big way! It started when I was 15 and I am 25 now. I've been on a few meds adavan, Zoloft, xanax, and now some off brand called fluoxetin. Which sucks but it's all I can afford. Zoloft has worked the best for me only bad thing is makes my tired. I am married and have 3 kids. I still get attacks every now and then like now it's hard to describe. I just feel like I'm dying my heart beats really weird and I get hot then cold, my legs start shaking, really my while body locks up. I have missed plenty of days from work from being up all night! I know they say it's all in my head but it still hurts!

Comment from: Frustrated, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

Anxiety has totally taken over my life. It is frustrating! Anxiety has caused not only me but my husband and children a lot of anguish. It's a horrible way to go through life. I don't want to be dependent on medication. I've tried tapes. To make matters worse, I've had symptoms due to Lyme, and have even been tested for peri-menopause and thyroids.

Comment from: leroy, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

I'm 25 I've been suffering from anxiety for almost a year now. My first attack came out of the blue, (Blue meaning out of nowhere), I was laying in the bed and for some reason I couldn't catch my breath, I felt light headed after breathing so heavy, and my body locked up on me from hyperventilating, my vision went blurring, and my heart rate was doing numbers. I lost all control and my body locked up on me, from over excessive worrying. I thought I could handle it on my own but after awhile like a nagging fly it starts to get to you and bother your nerves. At this moment I'm still not prescribed any meds, all my meds are bought in the streets. I know I know, that's not how you go about it, but I have a thing about taking medication (I can't stand it). I believe that is the doctors hustle to try to say something is wrong with you and try to patch you up. Then as you deal with life's problems you're stuck with the side effects. For those who don't have it, I love how they try to say nothing's wrong or you're being a hypochondriac, but I've noticed xanax actually works.

Comment from: dale, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 26

I have been having problems with anxiety, 10 months ago I had a panic attack and tinnitus started the same day. I thought I was going to die and worried because of uncontrolled rapid heartbeat at times with tingling feet. Months later it reached to my legs with electrical nerve stings from my back to my fingers. Always starts when I start worrying. I'm on ativan and it helps calm me. I found that realizing there's nothing to worry about and knowing that my symptoms are not related to any other illness helps. Most days I do well some days I worry. Positive thinking of facts and not delusion will probably heal me overall.

Comment from: Nklynd2bme, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

Definitely. It's made me miss several days of work. It gives me stomach flu symptoms and even escalates to full blown panic attacks some days.

Comment from: Lucky3, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I am a mother of three in her early 30's. I have been dealing with anxiety for about 5 years now. I have been in a verbal relationship for years, and anxiety really hit me when I found out that I was pregnant again after I had just given birth to my second child less than six months. Prayer brought me a long way, exercise, as well as a medication. I thought I was having heart-attacks or even maybe dying. Now my husband is having really bad anxiety attacks, but he will not get help until it hits him. I am praying that he will get the right treatment.

Comment from: Fasu Sek, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 22

Anxiety tried, but I didn't let it win. Although anxiety can, and at some point will, alter the way you are living you have to know this: if you work on it, you will get rid of it or at least learn to live with it. The key? Understand that anxiety is not a disease, it only makes you worry all the time and think you have one or will get one. Best solution? Exercise -- above everything running. Start to run, free yourself, produce endorphins, they make the difference. Accept the fact that you are an anxious person and that you want to change, learn to recognize your triggers, breathe in and then breathe out. Read about anxiety and above all read about people who have actually beat it. I am currently fighting with it, but I am winning, I am controlling it and I am not letting it disrupt the way I live.

Anxiety - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your anxiety?
Anxiety - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your anxiety?