Patient Comments: Anxiety - Attack Experience

Question:Has your anxiety disrupted your quality of life?

Comment from: Adolfo, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 11

I started suffering from anxiety in my 30s. My father suffered from it all his life and my younger brother also suffered from it when he turned mid 30. I found several things that help...YOGA has been a great help in calming the nervous system and giving me piece of mind. I have been taking Lexapro and Buspar but hope that with yoga I will eventually be able to go off the meds. Anxiety sucks big time... it robs you of the pleasures of life for no reason at all. If I do get external stress, then my anxiety amps ups. This is something that I believe I will need to manage for the rest of my life. My advise is to look into Yoga and meditation as a way of relaxing...and unfortunately no alcohol or caffeine!

Comment from: colemanst13, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 10

I am 34 and about a year ago, I began to feel dehydrated. At first, I felt I had shallow breathing, a weak voice, that I couldn't speak right, and an overall "heavy" feeling on my chest. I went to several doctors and the blood tests always came back negative. I was really discouraged because I had the symptoms on a daily basis. I then realized anxiety might be causing these feelings. After speaking to a few friends and reading sites like this, I realize that is exactly what I have. I heard exercising could help, so I went for a long run, and as I sit here, I feel better than I have in an entire year.

Comment from: xrcjdiiilhvm, 19-24 Female Published: April 19

I've had anxiety since the 4th grade. I've been struggling lately and I'm now 21. The only symptom that I have from anxiety is my stomach hurting like I'm going to get sick. Taking meds hasn't really done anything. I feel like I'm running out of options. I'm having more and more anxiety attacks. My anxiety attacks consist of my throwing up. It's driving me crazy. I don't know what to do.

Comment from: holly, 45-54 Female Published: April 06

My anxiety has paralyzed me emotionally.I am always anticipating what things are going to happen. I am basically house bound and I venture out at night when I don't have to talk to people. I startle easily and always have negative thinking going on every waking moment. Poor sleep is the norm. I think my anxiety has gotten worse and I did not realize how debilitating it was. I am scared to talk to people because I will not say the right thing. Or because I think people already don't like me. I cry alot when I am alone and I don't tell my husband the true extent of my anxiety because he won't understand and will certainly minimze it. I am just barely skimming the surface on how I am. I also feelin like I am a social hermit.

Comment from: Dan5161, Male (Patient) Published: March 25

Anxiety has affected me in a big way! It started when I was 15 and I am 25 now. I've been on a few meds adavan, Zoloft, xanax, and now some off brand called fluoxetin. Which sucks but it's all I can afford. Zoloft has worked the best for me only bad thing is makes my tired. I am married and have 3 kids. I still get attacks every now and then like now it's hard to describe. I just feel like I'm dying my heart beats really weird and I get hot then cold, my legs start shaking, really my while body locks up. I have missed plenty of days from work from being up all night! I know they say it's all in my head but it still hurts!

Comment from: Frustrated, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

Anxiety has totally taken over my life. It is frustrating! Anxiety has caused not only me but my husband and children a lot of anguish. It's a horrible way to go through life. I don't want to be dependent on medication. I've tried tapes. To make matters worse, I've had symptoms due to Lyme, and have even been tested for peri-menopause and thyroids.

Comment from: leroy, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

I'm 25 I've been suffering from anxiety for almost a year now. My first attack came out of the blue, (Blue meaning out of nowhere), I was laying in the bed and for some reason I couldn't catch my breath, I felt light headed after breathing so heavy, and my body locked up on me from hyperventilating, my vision went blurring, and my heart rate was doing numbers. I lost all control and my body locked up on me, from over excessive worrying. I thought I could handle it on my own but after awhile like a nagging fly it starts to get to you and bother your nerves. At this moment I'm still not prescribed any meds, all my meds are bought in the streets. I know I know, that's not how you go about it, but I have a thing about taking medication (I can't stand it). I believe that is the doctors hustle to try to say something is wrong with you and try to patch you up. Then as you deal with life's problems you're stuck with the side effects. For those who don't have it, I love how they try to say nothing's wrong or you're being a hypochondriac, but I've noticed xanax actually works.

Anxiety - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your anxiety?
Anxiety - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your anxiety?