Patient Comments: Anxiety - Attack Experience

Question:Has your anxiety disrupted your quality of life?

Comment from: Patient, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I have been struggling with anxiety and depression since 2004. I am 31 yrs. old and have been on numerous medications, which sometimes work then stop or just won't work at all. I don't even want to leave the house or work. I have no energy or drive to do anything I used to love. I can't even concentrate. It actually is at the point where when I am asked if I want to do this or that, I say "I will see how I feel". It's so depressing, and NO ONE can understand what you are going through unless they have been there themselves. If we could "just snap out of it", I most certainly would. They just don't get it.

Comment from: Al, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 13

Anxiety has effected my life in such a way that I can no longer go outside for long periods of time. I even get sick because of it in the heat of summer. I also have difficulty sleeping because I try to concentrate on fighting it off and yes you can fight it off but, it really depends all the person and symptoms. I've also had anxiety attacks far away from home, and I didn't know what to do. I'm 23 and I'm too young for this to disrupt everything so early in life if I was like 50 or older than so be it. I tell my friends that I'm always suffering and sick but, they just say suck it up buddy lets go out and have some fun its all in your head. What people don't seem to realize is how bad anxiety can truly be until they get it if at all.

Comment from: Marcelo Rivera, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 16

I have been suffering from social anxiety for about thirty years now, and for many years I did not know what it was, but after reading a great variety of books about social anxiety, I discovered my problem, but I was afraid to take any drugs to control my mental condition due to side effects etc. It was in October of 2010 that I talked to my doctor, and she prescribed Citalopram. It is now March 2011, and I have never felt any better in my entire life. I have not suffered from any side effects, and my anxiety has disappeared and only with a low dosage of 20 grams every night. In fact, I am taking speech classes to regain the person that I was meant to be, a loving social human being.

Comment from: Sabu123, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 03

My husband is suffering from anxiety attacks. We are in our early fifties and things have changed pretty fast the past two years. He lost his job and trained for a new one, so he isn't home very often. He has lost a step-father, brother and sister. We had to sell our home and move into a rental. Our two sons are out of work right now and both are depressed. He is very worried about them. I spend hours on the phone with him trying to convince him it will be alright and doing my best to help him. He doesn't want to take medicine, but he has in the past for short periods of time.

Comment from: Tracey B., 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I've had panic attacks for the last three months. I thought I was dying! I went to the doctor, and he gave me Xanax. It worked OK, but I was still getting bad attacks. I went to join a gym and have been exercising four days a week, two hours a day, and that has been the only thing that helps. My goal is to get off the meds.

Comment from: bigb8484, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 18

I'm a 27 year old male and I have had anxiety for almost all my life. When I was young it was at night I would wake up in a panic and as I got older it progressed into being claustrophobic and going into a panic when in small cars or elevators and other small places. Now I still suffer this anxiety along with claustrophobic problems, but I can't get through it without anyone knowing it. The number one problem people have is not breathing. I just take a deep breath and tell myself everything is OK and just keep telling yourself that until it goes away.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 23

I am 27 years old. I had one panic attack while driving. I am not sure if it was from lack of sleep or too much caffeine. Something triggered it. After that I felt like I was going to die. I had horrible anxiety. I went to the ER and still to this day deal with anxiety. I have been dealing with it for two months now. I am seeing a therapist and my doctor prescribed me Zoloft. Getting help is the best way to deal with anxiety. You can't do it alone. I am still a work in progress.

Comment from: plmcat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

Anxiety is so terrible. I have lost jobs because I have severe nighttime anxiety and can't sleep, stay awake all night and then go to work and be totally ineffective. I lose friends because I isolate due to my anxiety. I gain weight because I eat to soothe myself and then hate myself for how fat I get which causes even more anxiety, it's a horrible thing in my life and I go through periods where I can manage it but if something happens unexpected that is negative in any way, I fall apart. I've been in and out of therapy for 20 years, been on antidepressants that didn't help and thought about ending my life more times than I care to say. My anxiety is from ptsd and it has ruined my life.

Anxiety - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your anxiety?
Anxiety - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your anxiety?