Patient Comments: Anxiety - Attack Experience

Question:Has your anxiety disrupted your quality of life?

Comment from: I Hate Anxiety, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 17

I have social anxiety. Although I don't mind being in crowds, it's only when I have to prove myself to others, and I worry what others will think of me. I developed this anxiety at the beginning of last year. I have had some horrible panic attacks, even on one occasion when I was on a date with a guy. I honestly thought I was going to collapse or freak out. With my symptoms, it's not just feeling the fear, it's physical, too. I flush hot and cold, shake, and my jaw tenses. I feel as if I can't breathe when I'm talking; I get the urge to run or leave. I never used to be like this; I used to be really confident and happy-go-lucky. I have tried numerous medications and have spoken to many counselors, but I do feel as if I'm at my wits end. I'm currently taking Zoloft, which I have been on for four weeks. They are good, as they have hardly any side effects, but I don't feel as if there is any improvement as far as the anxiety goes. My doctor told me to stay on them as things usually start to get better after six weeks or so. I will see how it goes.

Comment from: daytona 93, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 03

I have had anxiety for the past six months. I found out the hard way: I was in bed with a bad cold and was not getting any better. After two weeks, I started to worry about my health and my family. Then it felt as if I was having a stroke. My hands and feet cramped up, and I could not stand up. I also could not control my breathing. After being rushed to the ER four times and having every test run on me, all the tests came back OK. I am still dealing with anxiety, but I am getting help from doctors and medication. This is a huge challenge in my life, but it does get better.

Comment from: Anee, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

Yes, my anxiety has disrupted the quality of my life very much. I got 3.6 whereas I thought I would get 4.00 out of 4.00. I couldn't utilize my time accurately because of this.

Comment from: Jynger, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

I began to have anxiety problems several years so in relation to my husband's health problems and my daughter's health problems. I worked as a nurse and sometimes felt I got "hit" with a couple of more patient as soon as I got home. I am not trying to be ugly, but no one can be "on" 24-7.But I would just use Klonipin at bedtime and I would be OK. Now, our problems are worsening and health wise, and I am really having problems with insomnia. I'm taking Klonopin and Ambien, and sometimes Benadryl, and I can be up all night. I've also tried Melatonin. I keep the room cool and a fan on low. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Comment from: B, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 02

Im 16 years old. 6 months back, is around the time I started noticing that something was wrong. After my boyfriend cheated on me. I took it pretty hard. Now I worry WAY to much, cry all the time, im very sensitive, irritated over every little thing, I dont see no interest in things I used to love to do. And, its getting worse... here the last few day, I have been having problems breathing. Right now, at thing moment its bad. And, my tummy hurts. I feel like im going to get sick. Its getting so close to having an attack.. I know it. I need to go see a doctor, but I havent yet.. Hopefully soon, I will. REAL SOON..

Comment from: its bad11, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: May 17

I've had anxiety ever since I was 19, when I had my first child. I used to throw up every day and have horrible anxiety attacks. At one point, I went to the hospital twice a week. I told myself I wouldn't live past 25. Well, after three years, I finally found a doctor. She is amazing. I've told her everything about my life and she put me on Ativan (2 mg daily), Pristiq (50 mg), and mirtazapine (45 mg). I don't have panic attacks nearly as bad any more. My advice would be to find an anxiety doctor who has been doing this for awhile. If you don't, the only thing that will 100% stop your anxiety is Xanax. Sorry if you don't think this is right, but people need this stuff. That's why doctors and scientists made it.

Comment from: Nikki, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I have been dealing with anxiety for just about my entire life. People have always told me, “Get over yourself.” I have one great friend who I have known for almost three years. She noticed things about me and explained to me why she felt that way. She has been a big help to me. I am afraid to meet new friends and go places by myself. I am not a sociable person. I have so many fears and my friend said I have symptoms of anxiety and autism. I went to my mental health therapist and was told I am fine. I was very upset and it was hard for me to explain why I felt upset. I found another mental health center and was diagnosed with anxiety and autism. I am still struggling with my symptoms, but I feel better talking with the new therapist.

Comment from: kitten123, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I ended a great relationship out of fear for my future. Typically I always think about how my past effects my future, how my past effected my present, and how is my future going to be a reflection of my past. I also feel an internal block when I try to socialize; as if i cannot, and not supposed to do or say things that I see that are "normal." However, when I do try to act like the other "normal" people around me I still feel awkward. I simply CANNOT enjoy the things in life that a typical 20 year old should enjoy. It's tough for me to socialize, it's hard for me to keep relationships because of this. I am sick of it. I have had feelings of this since I was a kid. In middle school I began to have thoughts of suicide, later on in high school I was confronted by a teacher who read a letter that I was told to believe was going to be kept anonymous. Well, let me just say that soon I had my mother crying next to me on my way home. I need help, I know I do.

Anxiety - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your anxiety?
Anxiety - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your anxiety?