Patient Comments: Anxiety - Symptoms

Question:What symptoms do you experience with your anxiety?

Comment from: Stown, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

For 40 years I have suffered from generalized anxiety and panic attacks on and off. Symptoms were many and included muscle pain and tension, dizziness, feelings of unreality and heart palpitations. I have been hospitalized with severe symptoms.

Comment from: Dee, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I was walking at night and tripped and fell hard on the cement; that was two years ago and most of the injuries are ok. Just in the outside cord of muscle on my left leg above the knee (and slightly below the knee), the pain is debilitating and is making life miserable. I've been prescribed pain pills and lead a healthy life and my weight is fine. But the pain is with me most of the time. The doctors don't say much and I'm afraid they just don't want to tell me bad news.

Comment from: Hairdo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

I had usual sore muscles on Friday. I always get some and stiffness around weather changes. I woke up Saturday with a 2 inch diameter rash on my back. I thought I had poison ivy. At this time I have no pain and it only slightly itches so I have not scratched. By Tuesday I decided it could not be poison ivy because it would have itched worse. I had suspicions it was shingles. I still had no pain. I went to the doctor and they say it is shingles and prescribed anti-viral medicines. I can't figure out why I am not having pain.

Comment from: Daphne, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 03

I had my first anxiety attack in late October of 2014 at the age of 71. It struck so sudden, I didn't have a clue. I started feeling anxious and scared, couldn't eat or sleep, watch TV, had to have all lights on at all times and even sent my husband out to buy lighter lampshades. I couldn't be in crowds like in malls, restaurants or even church; I would start breathing hard and getting scared. Finally after five days I went to my doctor and she gave me Zoloft which really helps; just a small dose.

Comment from: CP1976, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I get heart palpitations daily and adrenaline rushes because of my anxiety. I'm constantly in fear I will die in my sleep, or that I have a brain tumor or have heart disease despite my heart tests being normal. I startle easily, I cry easily, I have obsessive racing thoughts, and I get icepick headaches and muscle tensions and twitches. Sometimes I get weird sensations and zaps in my head where I'm convinced I will drop dead.

Comment from: sarah22, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I had my very first panic attack scare on my birthday last year, ever since then I can't shake the anxiety throughout the days. I went to the hospital that day because I thought I was having a heart attack, I had weakness in my legs, dizzy, and I felt like I couldn't breathe. It's really hard to go through every day thinking that you are going to die. I get aches in my left arm sometimes, and that immediately triggers my anxiety. Sometimes, there won't even be a trigger, I just start to notice my breathing, and something inside of my head ticks, and bam, anxiety attack. I've avoided taking medicine for it, because I don't want to live a life depending on medicine. I've tried many breathing techniques, and yoga helps a lot as well. Although these changes have helped, every time I start to think I am okay, my anxiety starts again. I know there are so many people out there that live this life, and it helps ease my mind connecting with all of you.

Comment from: karishma t., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I am suffering from generalized anxiety disorder (GAD). I get palpitation and I feel dizzy and I have uneasiness to go out. I don't feel normal to go out. It's just not worth living. I feel hopeless.

Comment from: toucko, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 30

I worry about everything; I can't leave a dish in the sink. I am taking Xanax but it is no help. I started getting night terrors this year, sometimes so bad I will stay awake for 3 days at a time. I fear going to new places because I might get lost. I have found a new doctor I'm waiting to see. I need higher dose of benzodiazepine to calm me and let me sleep. I also take Adderall.

Anxiety - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your anxiety?
Anxiety - Attack Experience Question: Has your anxiety disrupted your quality of life?