Patient Comments: Anxiety - Symptoms

Question:What symptoms do you experience with your anxiety?

Comment from: peace be still, 25-34 Female Published: June 20

I am 31 years old, and the first time I had an anxiety attack was around 23 years old. I was stressed because my parents had died and I didn't how to handle it. When I got the tightening of chest I felt as though I was gasping for air. It lasted about 5 minutes and when I got the second one I was pregnant and I was 26 and it was as though I couldn't breathe. My chest locked so tight I started to cry because I thought I was dying. My husband was telling me to relax, but of course that didn't help and made it worse. But after I calmed myself and went to the doctor and was diagnosed with anxiety.

Comment from: Keith01, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 05

I wake up every morning. With anxiety and worry. What's going to happen 90 % of the time. I pray more than anyone or just as much. The anxiety gets so bad I don't want to live sometimes.

Comment from: sad-sack, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 19

I am 32 year old women with two small children, I am socially isolated because I stay home with them a lot and we live in country. Most my friends are very busy and don't have time for meeting up anymore. But my anxiety with my life is helped when I am not alone. I view that me at home with my kids is pretty much me alone cause they are so young. I try to keep busy with moderate exercise, going outside or cleaning house but I am always grateful for night time, but now I have trouble sleeping. I have had full on panic attacks after physical traumas like surgery in the past when I thought I was dying and couldn't breathe. I have decided I am a bit depressed and that could be what is resulting in anxiety and negative attitude.

Comment from: carcar, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

My anxiety has ruined my life. I am no longer able to go out due to the fact I have a panic attack every time I do. My symptoms of a panic attack include a sense of dread and fear, and feeling out of control. I get a dry mouth, choking feeling, shortness of breath, heart palpitations, chest pains, dizziness, and trembling. It's so awful I don't know what to do anymore!

Comment from: 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 07

I'm 20, I've felt symptoms of anxiety since I was about 12. My forearms, and legs feel numb, I have skipped heart beats, when this happens I feel like I cant breath and I get lightheaded. I'm on 20mg Prozac once a day. It makes me in a better mood most of the time, I almost always feel tired. For me, my anxiety is worse for me at night. I think the reason I have anxiety is because of always worrying about my heart skipping beats, and having palpitations. It scares me really bad when it happens.

Comment from: David V, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

I'm 18 years old. I've had anxiety since my ex-girlfriend cheated on me. I have now moved on and have been in a new relationship for almost 5 months now. I have trouble sleeping. I have a weird feeling like I'm floating and I'm not going to wake up the next morning. Also when I'm driving I start to panic and have to drink something or just move my hands or legs. It's been very hard for me and I need help.

Comment from: :), 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I am 12 years old and I get anxiety pretty bad. During an attack I feel as if my vision is blurring or I am not exactly there. It's weird and I have trouble doing daily activities like going to school. It's really frustrating because I want to get back to normal.

Comment from: joey, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 04

When I have anxiety attacks I can usually cope with it and get through it but sometimes. I'll have really severe attacks and have symptoms that I've never heard before like for instance when I have severe attacks ill start to feel a floating sensation and then a tingling feeling all over my body then I start to panic and feel disoriented and my vision blurs. I feel like I'm stuck in my body I feel hopeless and then it really hits me. I'll taste cigarettes ashes on my tongue itching on my hands and my muscles start tensing up mostly in my neck stomach are and legs my legs get so weak I feel like I can't stand anymore and when I'm coming down from my attack I start to shake and feel like I'm passing out like I have no energy I get a headache and after the attacks goes away I can't think straight or focus. It takes a lot out of me. I've had this problem for over a year and I feel it's getting worse.

Comment from: hopeless, Female (Patient) Published: December 28

I have struggled with anxiety for 40+ years. I was sexually molested as a child and repressed the event so I never knew what caused my panic attacks. I'm a nurse but have had a hard time holding down a job because when the panic hits I am terrified and just stay in bed and pray. The only thing that helps is Xanax. It has saved me so many times. I have tried 11 different antidepressants with NO success. This life has been a nightmare. I look forward to the day I get to leave this world and be in heaven.

Anxiety - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your anxiety?
Anxiety - Attack Experience Question: Has your anxiety disrupted your quality of life?