Patient Comments: Anxiety - Symptoms

Question:What symptoms do you experience with your anxiety?

Comment from: midlife crisis, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

i am 50 years old and had my first panic attack 10 years ago while driving on a rural highway. because i have a heart murmur i thought it was a heart attack. i pulled into a driveway and the woman there happened to be an e.m.t. what a relief! after that i had a few more attacks.i was fine until my husband had a heart attack in 2009 he received 3 stents and takes 9-10 pills a day. 3 months later i was diagnosed with severe anxiety and was prescribed alprazolam. i was insulted. the bottle said "for depression". i was not depressed. i took half a pill "only as needed" maybe 1-2x week i then started to worry about my adult children and having a heart attack and that i would die, and not see my grandchildren. things i had no control of. dec 2011 my heart started to race night after night,i worried alot, had tense muscles, headaches, couldnt sleep, used the toilet frequently-still do),was tired all the time,startled by any noises,came close to blacking out while driving. then i was prescribed sertraline-it made me nauseous. i threw them away. so i suffered for 2 more months until i was prescribed paroxetene. today i no longer feel as if i am going to die. and i have been blessed with 2 beautiful granddaughters 2years old and a 4 month old.i couldnt be happier!

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 11

When I have anxiety I get a "skipping" sensation of a missed heart beat or, more accurately, like a hiccup from my diaphragm, dizziness, unsteadiness, racing/pounding heart, burping or need to burp, the need to move my arms or do something with my hands, shallow breathing, feel like I may lose my balance, difficulty swallowing, feel hot - especially in the face.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I 21 and I have really bad anxiety-most of the time it happens at night and I can't sleep. My heart beats really fast and my mind races. I feel like a failure as I think of my regrets and I get depressed. Asking people to pray for me has been a big help.

Comment from: junior, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 08

I'm 23 years old and I started having anxiety when I was about 19. It made me physically ill to a point of deep depression and I had to take time off from my EMS job because leaving my house threw me into a panic no matter where I tried going. With time I learned how to control it without medication by just focusing on something else. My family was very helpful in this but now that I'm on my own and living in a different state, my anxiety has peaked again where I have tightness in my chest, trouble breathing, trembling, and I feel like I'm going to pass out or die. I need help with this .

Comment from: IrisElizabeth, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I worry about minute things and can't help it. I worry about being around a lot of people, too much noise, kids going to school, having more than one thing to do in a day, making phone calls, if people will smell, if they will cough, blow their nose, or even sniffle all gross me out and cause anxiety. This causes me to not go out a lot. I prefer shopping at night where there will be less people. If we go to a restaurant, I can't look at others eating and if I get full, I am most afraid people will do the things that make me nauseous.

Comment from: LEA, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I have intense anxiety which turns into full blown panic attacks with in seconds. The symptoms consist of rapid heart rate, sweating,facial tension, nausea, sense of dying or passing out, a feeling that Im not alive, blurred vision, numbness of arms and legs, diahrrea, upset stomach, and dizziness. I am taking Vistaril which only relieves some of the symptoms. The benzodaizapines are addicting so therefore my doctor does not prescribe any. I am suffering enormously. I do visualization and meditation which helps at times. I also do deep breathing exercises when Im able to. Anxiety and panic is crippling at times.

Comment from: melonball, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 08

My father passed away in 1992, and I started having anxiety attacks after that. I was like everybody trying to find help. I've had this miserable feeling for 20 years now. I've used Xanax for temporary help. I use my own therapy now. I walk the dog every day two miles and lift 40 pounds of weight five days a week. I take over-the-counter CALM , which is a mixture of magnesium and calcium. It seems to really help me cope.

Comment from: Robert, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 31

I was studying in class with both girls and boys. I was so afraid of talking to girls of high natural beauty. I was in that class three years. My brain seems so damaged that I could not turn my head and look around. I felt like there is a spike at the back of my head and I always have teary eyes which bothers me a lot. As a result I have too much head twitching now that I cannot talk to anybody face-to-face. I always have to lean on something to prevent my head twitching and talk. Does anyone else has this symptom?

Anxiety - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your anxiety?
Anxiety - Attack Experience Question: Has your anxiety disrupted your quality of life?