Patient Comments: Anxiety - Symptoms

Question:What symptoms do you experience with your anxiety?

Comment from: Lareina76, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I suffer from anxiety everyday at least twice a day. It feels like my life is ending and I can't breathe. My mind goes blank, my legs go out, my arm as well. This is so depressing. I can't go out in public, I get dizzy, no air. It's just horrible.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

I am 40 years old and have had anxiety/panic since I was a teen. It got worse after I had my kids in my 20's. I started Zanex in my 30's as needed. That does help, it is a very temporary help. I maybe used 6 pills a year. Things got worse and last year I got on Lexapro. I was on it a year, felt great and so I went off of it. Big mistake! I was good for about 4 months then had attacks again. I am now back on it and having panic attacks while it is trying to get used to my body. The pharmacy says they anxiety/panic will go away 1-2 weeks after I started the pills or after I upped the dosage. I am upping my dosage to the whole pill tomorrow and hope to get this all over with so I can feel good again. I finally felt like I had a life when I was on these last year. I didn't panic and I even went places without spending the day in the bathroom. My usual symptoms are hot flashes, heart palpitations, fidgety, jittery, sometimes legs go numb. Sense of not being here and fearful, going plain crazy. One of my fears is taking medications, that is why it took me 40 years to take this. I had minimal side effects the first time. This time I am having the anxiety but I know after I get through this next week or two I will be fine.

Comment from: tizzles, 13-18 Male Published: April 04

The second time I ever smoked spice I started freaking out. I thought that I was going to die. I felt my heart racing and pounding throughout my body. And of course I lived but ever since then I have started to have random panic attacks due to my heart rate. If I feel like my heart rate is high I start freaking out. I don't know what to do to help because my brother has a huge drug problem and I don't want to take pills. I don't do drugs the spice was like a very occasional thing, since I only did it twice.

Comment from: miss.understood, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

For my cases, I feel excessive tension in my chest, restless hands and legs, and racing thoughts. It gets really bad in reflection. I think a part of it is because I over think the decisions I make which leads me to feel helpless and stressed. It really messes up my sleeping habits as well (including going to bed at 6 am and waking up at almost 4 in the evening).

Comment from: MA, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

Few months ago I had anxiety attack. I had palpation, very unpleasant sensation in the body and felt like I had no strength in my legs and hands. My emotions changed. I cried without any reason. Doctor prescribed me effector, but that made me crazy so I discontinued that med and couple of months I did not take any things. I was fine. Again month ago I had again same episodes of anxiety attack. This time doctor prescribed me celexa. Again I had same side effects when I took effector .Then doctor prescribed me lorazepam 0.5 mg daily for month which is really giving me good effects. But I do not know how long I have to take that med to get better.

Comment from: rainbowbright, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 14

My first panic attack happened when I was 14 it was the worst one I've had. I'm now 27 and I usual only have one to two attacks a year but these past few months have been awful. I had 3 panic attacks in just one day. I usually don't have them unless I feel bad and I've been having these bad dizzy spells past 3 days which I think is causing them. I will have chills, shaking all over, my palms start to sweat, I get very pale, I feel like I'm not even in my body like everything isn't real. I went to the doctor and they gave me meds but I'm so afraid to even take it cause I'm afraid the meds with give me side effects. I hate living like this it's pure torture I feel I will never get better. I'll start seeing a therapist in a few weeks hoping it will make it all go away.

Comment from: anonymous, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 07

I actually just had one. For me, I can't concentrate/feel confused. For instance, I was driving to Charlotte to speak at an event and I only had a vague sense of what I was going to Charlotte for. I immediately felt like I was going to die, and all I could think about what my daughter holding my hand as I lie in a hospital bed. Seriously, it's THAT bad. I took 1mg of Klonopin, which I always carry with me, and now, I feel perfectly fine. I'm in my hotel and I know exactly why I'm here and am prepared to give my speech!

Comment from: cerebro, 19-24 Female Published: November 03

I just feel a rush of anxiousness out of nowhere. It feels like the world around me is ending and I'm going to have a heart attack. Sometimes I shake to stop the anxiety or I press deep in my chest and the pain of it helps a bit. But they happen at any time and in intervals for me. It's a really scary feeling and it's hard to think about anything without getting a panic attack. Sometimes a vibration I feel -- it can be the smallest sensation, or what I think I'm feeling, sets it off. Loud noises frighten me too, and being outside sometimes. I just don't feel secure. It's been more overwhelming now than it has ever been, and it's really affecting what I do in the course of the day.

Anxiety - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your anxiety?
Anxiety - Attack Experience Question: Has your anxiety disrupted your quality of life?