Patient Comments: Anxiety - Symptoms

Question:What symptoms do you experience with your anxiety?

Comment from: CP1976, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I get heart palpitations daily and adrenaline rushes because of my anxiety. I'm constantly in fear I will die in my sleep, or that I have a brain tumor or have heart disease despite my heart tests being normal. I startle easily, I cry easily, I have obsessive racing thoughts, and I get icepick headaches and muscle tensions and twitches. Sometimes I get weird sensations and zaps in my head where I'm convinced I will drop dead.

Comment from: sarah22, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I had my very first panic attack scare on my birthday last year, ever since then I can't shake the anxiety throughout the days. I went to the hospital that day because I thought I was having a heart attack, I had weakness in my legs, dizzy, and I felt like I couldn't breathe. It's really hard to go through every day thinking that you are going to die. I get aches in my left arm sometimes, and that immediately triggers my anxiety. Sometimes, there won't even be a trigger, I just start to notice my breathing, and something inside of my head ticks, and bam, anxiety attack. I've avoided taking medicine for it, because I don't want to live a life depending on medicine. I've tried many breathing techniques, and yoga helps a lot as well. Although these changes have helped, every time I start to think I am okay, my anxiety starts again. I know there are so many people out there that live this life, and it helps ease my mind connecting with all of you.

Comment from: karishma t., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I am suffering from generalized anxiety disorder (GAD). I get palpitation and I feel dizzy and I have uneasiness to go out. I don't feel normal to go out. It's just not worth living. I feel hopeless.

Comment from: toucko, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 30

I worry about everything; I can't leave a dish in the sink. I am taking Xanax but it is no help. I started getting night terrors this year, sometimes so bad I will stay awake for 3 days at a time. I fear going to new places because I might get lost. I have found a new doctor I'm waiting to see. I need higher dose of benzodiazepine to calm me and let me sleep. I also take Adderall.

Comment from: Madam DRS, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I am 28 years old. I have been on antidepressants for 7 years. I still have depressive episodes. I had my first big panic attack two years back just when I thought I was relaxed walking in a shopping mall after a nice movie. I got scared of nothing, I worried but with no real cause, fast heartbeat and sweating and my limbs were shaking terribly. I got annoyed easily, in the shop I got irritated having to stand in a queue. Anxiety attacks make me loathe everything and everyone, I don't want to talk. I can't work, can't think, can't eat, want to sleep but can't fall asleep. It's terrible to explain to other people. Then I break down and cry.

Comment from: smh78, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

This anxiety ruins my life. I always think I have a medical condition where I am dying. I get chest pain and shortness of breath and I"m always dizzy because I never can relax. I don"t even want to leave the house anymore because crowds upset me to the point of tears.

Comment from: Raw, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I am suffering from anxiety and it is hard explain the symptoms. I feel like I'm so nervous and scared over nothing, my heart is beating fast and I hardly breathe, pain in my chest especially in my heart side, pain in my back, and loss of appetite. I feel sometimes pain in my tummy. The major issue here is I can't sleep easily. When I have it I struggle to sleep and sometimes I go to work without having any sleep, which makes it worse.

Comment from: Toscar1960, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I have had all of these symptoms regarding anxiety, and I really don"t know how to approach my doctor about this. I have been to the emergency room a lot thinking that I was having a heart attack and was tested and they told me I was fine.

Comment from: chestpainchelsea, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I have had anxiety since I realized I was alive. I somehow survived up to this point, 55 years, but I cannot enjoy being outside my apartment much before I'm literally frazzled to my core, dying to get back to my own "shelter." Yet I do not take prescription anxiolytics because they blunt my perceptions to the point where I can't truly feel sadness, and as trivial as that may seem to some, I find it terrifying. I have been hospitalized twice since going through menopause with panic attacks. They are so bad I just decided I will catch/check the process in time to never, ever, ever, let it whip me again. Yet even now I have a hideous tightness and pressure in my left side and chest. Yup, it could be a major heart attack and I don't give a damn, because I'd rather cope with these symptoms and drop dead than to be indifferent to ugliness, cruelty, and rudeness which should properly generate feelings of sadness, fear or despair for things beyond my control. Why numb and dumb down? I'd rather be taken out by heart failure.

Anxiety - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your anxiety?
Anxiety - Attack Experience Question: Has your anxiety disrupted your quality of life?