Patient Comments: Antiphospholipid Syndrome - Symptoms

What were your symptoms associated with antiphospholipid syndrome?

Comment from: nanapat1, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I've had seven pregnancies with 3 live births, no one knew the reason, but later when I had a deep vein thrombosis my doctor sent me to a hematologist who identified antiphospholipid syndrome. Since then, I was put on coumadin for a year. Doctor thought it was okay to take me off, then I had breast cancer and during chemo had another blood clot - because 10 years had passed I was taken of coumadin after a year. Wound up with another blood clot, this time in heart, now on coumadin for life. But I'm doing well and still alive!

Comment from: Concerned friend, 55-64 Male Published: April 27

My friend is in the hospital with catastrophic antiphospholipid antibody syndrome. He bled into his adrenal glands and retroperitoneal area. He then ended up with a large DVT because he was taken off of coumadin. He now has thrombocytopenia and is receiving platelets. The doctors said he was in renal failure once which he recovered from. He has been dehydrated a few times and very edematous. He has developed an infection at an IV site. He also received a number of blood transfusions for low blood counts. This hasn't even covered all of what he has gone through. He still is in the hospital and may be transferred to another facility.

Comment from: Bella, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 14

My dad has antiphospholipid syndrome, and the doctors put him on those warfarin tablets, but they caused his brain to bleed and he had a stroke. The doctors took him off warfarin and he recovered from this. About six months later he went into the hospital again. He had blood clots all through his lungs but they did a surgery on him to help prevent the clots. Then a few months after that he had a seizure because of the brain bleed, I'm guessing, and it damaged his back - he had cracked a vertebrate. He's unable to drive but is at home and still working. He's very lucky.

Comment from: joyce, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

After I had my daughter 12 years ago I was having mini strokes a couple of times a month for almost a year before they could figure out what was wrong with me. I was only 29 so they didn't even consider I was having strokes until I lost feeling on my left side of my body. I have gained alot of the feeling back but never the same. I'm healthy now and take Warfarin daily. I did lose a pregnancy a few years ago and am not able to have any more but life is good.

Comment from: scared429, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I have had one child and three still births and wasn't diagnosed with antiphospholipid syndrome until my kidneys failed in 2009.

Antiphospholipid Syndrome - Cause Question: What was the cause of your antiphospholipid syndrome?
Antiphospholipid Syndrome - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatment have been effective for your antiphospholipid syndrome?
Antiphospholipid Syndrome - Tests Question: Describe the tests you've had to detect antiphospholipid antibodies and antiphospholipid syndrome.