Patient Comments: Antinuclear Antibody Test - Testing

Question:What were the results of your ANA test?

Comment from: theceliac1234, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I'm 19 years old and had a ANA value of 1:160 and just found out I have celiac disease. Stopped eating gluten and now I feel much better! No more stomachaches and hemoglobin levels went up so I am no longer anemic as well :)

Comment from: Mother if 3, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

My baby is 7 month I developed hand pain and swelling which I first attributed to carpal tunnel. Had ANA tested 1:160 with a double stranded DNA of 18 and sjogren of 5.5 . My doctor diagnosed me with LUPUS. I am getting a second opinion. Could this be a wrong diagnosis. I have no other symptoms hair loss, rash etc....

Comment from: Jo, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

My test results were 1:400 to 1:800. doctors do not know whats happening and have no treatment plan for me. Always have to suffer giddiness and blurred vision. Also have menstrual problem. Recently im experiencing bad joint pains and now waiting for next appointment to do another test. i suspect my condition may have worsened.

Comment from: mmjordan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I have a positive ANA result, but the blood was drawn when I also had bronchitis. Could this be a false positive?

Comment from: Lauretta, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 05

I have been having increased bilateral hand pain. Some of my knuckles are inflamed and red. Picking up a glass of water, or turning a doorknob is increasingly painful. My ANA results were 1:80, received yesterday. I have an appointment with a rheumatologist, but according to information from my ANA results I may or may not have lupus, rheumatoid arthritis or some other autoimmune disease.

Comment from: MJ, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I was diagnosed with lupus two weeks ago. My ANA result is 1:160 dilution. I've suffered joint pains, hair loss, blood clots, nervousness and even gum problems.

Comment from: Bree, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

June 2010 I was treated for a rash by a dermatologist. He ran blood work and my results came back: ANA positive centromere pattern 1:1280, and lgE=211, he diagnosed me with Uticaria and angioedema. He also sent me to a rheumatologist because he thought I also may have CREST variant of scleroderma. the rheumatologist thought my ANA was a false positive and repeated the blood work, which came back the same exact number (1:1280) , I have had the rash for a year now, sometimes it doesn't bother me and almost goes away, but usually flares up terribly the week after I have a full body PET Scan ( I have every 3 months because I have stage 3 malignant melanoma) everybody, (doctors and radiologist do not believe the rash is related to the scan). Last Tuesday I had lab work again; my ANA is 1:2560 today. I wish I could understand what this means and how it is effecting my health. My knees hurt terribly every day.

Comment from: INH, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I am a 48-year-old woman with an ANA value of 1:320, having a speckled pattern. I have a history of facial rashes and hair loss as well as a skin lesion on my right hip that flares when my facial rash flares. The tissue biopsy was inconclusive, showing a mixed connective tissue disorder. I have a history of migraines, joint pain, and intermittent microscopic hematuria. A consultation with a rheumatologist was performed, but he did not confirm any diagnosis. I was treated with INH for one year (24 years ago) for exposure to TB. I would doubt that this would continue to cause issues.

Comment from: Kate, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

My ANA was 51 and Ds DNA was 450. I have pain in my body and have a rash on my scalp, but I have still not got a diagnosis. I have got sicca syndrome too.

Antinuclear Antibody Test - Diagnosis Question: What condition was diagnosed by your antinuclear antibody test?