Oral antihistamines are medications used to treat symptoms of congestion, runny nose, the common cold, sneezing, itchy throat, skin rashes, hives, itching, and watery or itchy eyes. Some antihistamines also are used to treat anxiety, insomnia, and motion sickness. Side effects, drug interactions, dosing, storage, and pregnancy and breastfeeding safety information should be reviewed prior to taking this class of medication.
- diphenhydramine, Benadryl
- loratadine, Claritin, Claritin RediTabs, Alavert, Claritin Hives Relief, Children's Claritin
- fexofenadine, Allegra, Allegra Allergy, Allegra Hives, Children's Allegra, Mucinex Allergy
- cetirizine, Zyrtec, Zyrtec Allergy, Zyrtec Hives
The word "rash" means an outbreak of red bumps on the body. The way people use this term, "a rash" can refer to many different...learn more »
An allergy refers to a misguided reaction by our immune system in response to bodily contact with certain foreign substances. ...learn more »
Motion sickness is a feeling of unwellness caused by the inner ear and balance systems. Motion sickness can include sea sickness,...learn more »
In This Article
Motion Sickness Article
- What is motion sickness?
- Who is at risk for motion sickness?
- What are causes of motion sickness?
- What are the signs and symptoms of motion sickness?
- When should I call a doctor for motion sickness?
- How is motion sickness diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for motion sickness?
- Home remedies for motion sickness
- OTC and prescription medication for motion sickness
- Can motion sickness be prevented?
Panic attacks are sudden feelings of terror that strike without warning. These episodes can occur at any time, even during sleep....learn more »
In This Article
Panic Attacks Article
- Panic attack facts
- What are panic attacks?
- Are panic attacks serious?
- What are causes and risk factors for panic attacks?
- What are panic attack symptoms and signs in adults, teens, and children?
- How do health-care professionals diagnose panic disorder? What types of doctors treat this condition?
- What is the treatment for panic attacks? What medications treat panic attacks?
- What are complications of untreated panic attacks?
- What is the prognosis for panic disorder?
- Is it possible to prevent panic attacks?
The common cold (viral upper respiratory tract infection) is a contagious illness that may be caused by various viruses. Symptoms...learn more »