- 10 Common Allergy Triggers Slideshow Pictures
- Take the Quiz on Allergies
- Nasal Allergy Relief Products Slideshow
- What are antihistamine shots, and what the medical uses for this type of drug?
- What are examples of generic and brand names of antihistamine injections available in the US?
- What are the side effects of antihistamine shots?
- Which drugs interact with antihistamine injections?
- What formulations of antihistamine injections are available?
- Is it safe to have antihistamine shots during pregnancy or while breastfeeding?
What are antihistamine shots, and what are the medical uses for this type of drug?
Antihistamine shots are prescription medications that are used for the rapid medical treatment of conditions such as:
- Allergic reactions (a severe allergy to a substance)
- Motion sickness
- To induce sedation when injected into a patient
Antihistamine shots also are used to alleviate extra pyramidal symptoms of antipsychotic medications.
Histamine is a chemical that causes many signs and symptoms of allergy. Histamine is released from histamine-storing cells (mast cells) and attaches to other cells that have receptors for histamine on their surfaces. Histamine stimulates the cells to release chemicals that produce effects that we associate with allergy. Antihistamines blocks histamine receptors and thus prevent activation of cells with histamine receptors by histamine.
What are examples of generic and brand names of antihistamine injections available in the US?
Examples of the brand and generic names for this type of medication include:
- diphenhydramine (Benadryl)
- promethazine (Phenergan)
- hydroxyzine hydrochloride (Restall, Vistacot)
- dimenhydrinate (Dramamine, Driminate)
The formulation of this drug is available by prescription only to treat a patient with a specific condition. It is not available over-the-counter (OTC). Other formulations of antihistamine drugs are available over-the-counter that treat medical conditions such as:
Examples of OTC medicine available over-the-counter include:
- diphenhydramine (Benadryl)
- certirizine (Zyrtec)
- loratadine (Claritin)
- fexofenadine (Allegra)
- desloratadine (Clarinex)
- loratadine ODT (Alavert, Tavist ND)
What are the side effects of antihistamine shots?
The common side effects of this type of medication include:
- Drowsiness (sleepiness)
- Dry mouth
- Blurred vision
- Urinary retention
- Increased or decreased blood pressure
- Abnormal heart rate
- Trouble breathing
- Tiredness (fatigue)
Quick GuideBad Bugs: Identify Bug Bites From Mosquitos, Spiders and More
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.