- Type 2 Diabetes Warning Signs
- Dieting for Diabetes
- Type 2 Diabetes: Test Your Medical IQ
- Patient Comments: Oral Diabetes Medications - Types
- Find a local Doctor in your town
- What are oral diabetes medications?
- What are the types of oral diabetes medications?
- What are examples of oral diabetes medications available in the US?
- What are examples of combination oral diabetes medications?
- What are the side effects of oral diabetes medications?
- Side effects of thiazolidinediones
- Side effects of DPP-4 inhibitors
- Side effects of biguanides (metformin [Glucophage])
- Side effects of sulfonylureas
- Side effects of meglitinides
- Side effects of α-glucosidase
- Side effects of SGLT-2 inhibitors
- Side effects of bile acid sequestrants
- Side effects of bromocriptine mesylate (Cycloset)
- What drugs interact with oral diabetes medications?
- What formulations of oral diabetes medications are available?
- What about taking oral diabetes medications during pregnancy or while breastfeeding?
Side effects of meglitinides
The most common side effects of meglitinides are hypoglycemia and weight gain. The risk for hypoglycemia and weight gain appears to be low in comparison to sulfonylureas.
Side effects of α-glucosidase
α-glucosidase inhibitors most commonly cause
Side effects of SGLT-2 inhibitors
The most common side effects associated with SGLT-2 inhibitors include
- vaginal yeast infections,
- yeast infections of the penis,
- Upper respiratory tract infections,
- UTIs, and
- changes in urination (urinary urgency, urinating more often and in larger amount).
Other reported side effects
- Hypotension (decrease in blood pressure)
- Kidney dysfunction
- Hypoglycemia when combined with insulin or drugs that increase insulin secretion
- Increase in cholesterol
- Bladder cancer
- Hypersensitivity reactions
Side effects of bile acid sequestrants
The most common side effects of bile acid sequestrants include:
Colesevelam also may cause an increase in triglyceride levels.
Side effects of bromocriptine mesylate (Cycloset)
Side effects associated with bromocriptine therapy include:\