Anorexia is an eating disorder characterized by markedly reduced appetite or total aversion to food. Anorexia is a serious psychological disorder and is a condition that goes well beyond out-of-control dieting. With anorexia, the drive to become thinner is actually secondary to concerns about control and/or fears relating to one's body. There are psychological and behavioral symptoms as well as physical symptoms of anorexia including: depression, social withdrawal, fatigue, food obsession, heart and gastrointestinal complications, kidney function, flaky skin, brittle nails, and tooth loss (this list is not exhaustive).Read more: Anorexia Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Eating Disorders: Anorexia, Bulimia, Binge Eating
Learn about different types of eating disorders. Discover the warning signs of binge eating disorder, anorexia and bulimia. Read...
Visual Guide to Binge Eating Disorder
Learn about signs, symptoms, treatment, and recovery for this eating disorder. Get to know how binge eating affects emotional and...
Related Disease Conditions
Low Blood Pressure (Hypotension) Causes, Symptoms, Signs, Readings, and Treatments
Low blood pressure, also referred to as hypotension, is blood pressure that is so low that it causes symptoms or signs due to the...
Abdominal Pain (Causes, Remedies, Treatment)
Abdominal pain can have many causes that range from mild to severe. Some of these causes include bloating, gas, colitis,...
An arrhythmia is an abnormal heart rhythm. With an arrhythmia, the heartbeats may be irregular or too slow (bradycardia), to...
Anemia is the condition of having less than the normal number of red blood cells or less than the normal quantity of hemoglobin...
Osteopenia is a bone condition characterized by bone loss that is not as severe as in osteoporosis. Bone fracture is the typical...
Constipation (Relief, Home Remedies, Treatment Medications)
Constipation is defined medically as fewer than three stools per week and severe constipation as less than one stool per week....
Fatigue (Symptoms, Causes, Treatment)
Fatigue can be described in various ways. Sometimes fatigue is described as feeling a lack of energy and motivation (both mental...
Diabetes insipidus is a condition in which the patient has frequent urination. Symptoms of diabetes insipidus include irritable,...
Medical Marijuana (Medical Cannabis)
Medical marijuana (medical cannabis) is a medicine that is plant based. There are two species of medical marijuana; 1) Cannabis...
Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension and fear characterized by symptoms such as trouble concentrating, headaches, sleep problems,...
Nausea and Vomiting (Causes, Natural Remedies, Diet, Medication)
Nausea is an uneasiness of the stomach that often precedes vomiting. Nausea and vomiting are not diseases, but they are symptoms...
Depression is an illness that involves the body, mood, and thoughts and affects the way a person eats and sleeps, the way one...
Second Source article from Government...
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
Learn how to recognize early warning signs and symptoms of serious diseases and health problems, for example, chronic cough,...
Cholesterol (Lowering Your Cholesterol)
High cholesterol and triglyceride levels increase the risk of cardiovascular disease. Getting your cholesterol and triglyceride...
Suicide is the process of intentionally ending one's own life. Approximately 1 million people worldwide commit suicide each year,...
Amenorrhea (including hypothalmic amenorrhea) is a condition in which there is an absence of menstrual periods in a woman. There...
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) is an anxiety disorder that causes a person to suffer repeated obsessions and compulsions....
Children's health is focused on the well-being of children from conception through adolescence. There are many aspects of...
Compulsive gambling is a disorder that affects millions in the U.S. Symptoms and signs include a preoccupation with gambling,...
Fast-food consumption and lack of exercise are just a couple of causes of childhood obesity. Health effects of childhood obesity...
Binge Eating Disorder
Characteristics of binge eating disorder include eating more quickly than usual, eating until uncomfortably full, eating a lot of...
Local ResourcesFind a local Psychiatrist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- Lexapro (escitalopram)
- fluoxetine - oral, Prozac, Sarafem
- Sertraline (Zoloft)
- citalopram, Celexa
- risperidone, Risperdal; Risperdal Consta, Risperdal M-TAB
- paroxetine (Paxil, Pexeva)
- olanzapine, Zyprexa, Zydis, Zyprexa Relprevv
- quetiapine (Seroquel, Seroquel XR)
- fat emulsion - injection, Intralipid, Liposyn
- amino acids-injection, Aminosyn, Freamine, Travasol
- amino acids/electrolytes/glycerin - injection, Procalamine
Prevention & Wellness
- Health Tip: Identify Risk Factors for Anorexia
- How to Spot an Eating Disorder
- Women Driven to Be Thinner When Husband Is Hot
- That Store Mannequin May Be Anorexic
- Study Links Celiac Disease, Anorexia
- Keep an Eye Out for Eating Disorders in Loved Ones
- Many Women With Eating Disorders Do Recover, Study Finds
- Body Acceptance Rises for Women
- Eating Disorders Seem More Common in Schools Where Girls Predominate
- Brain Stimulation May Help People With Anorexia
- Study Confirms Eating Disorders' Deadly Toll
- Kids Find Help for Anorexia More Often Than 'Pro-Ana' Posts on YouTube
- Bullies May Face Higher Odds of Eating Disorders: Study
- Health Tip: Talking to Your Child About Eating Disorders
- Bodybuilder Supplement Abuse a Growing Concern
- ADHD Tied to Higher Risk of Eating Disorder in Kids and Teens
- Migraine Drug May Up Risk of Eating Disorders in Some Teens
- Brains of Those With Anorexia React Differently to Hunger Signals
- ADHD Drug Might Help Treat Binge-Eating Disorder, Study Suggests
- For Anorexic Men, the Focus Is on Muscle
- Study: Family-Based Therapy Can Aid Those With Anorexia
- 'Bigorexics' Want to Boost Their Masculinity
- Brain 'Pacemaker' May Help Ease Tough-to-Treat Anorexia
- More Evidence Linking Creativity, Mental Illness
- Anorexics Can't Judge Own Body Size: Study
- Stressed-Out Men May Prefer Heavier Women
- Eating Disorders in Women Over 50
- Preteen Food Choices May Help Predict Eating Disorders Later
- Life Transitions May Trigger Eating Disorders
- Health Highlights: Jan. 3, 2012
- Eating Disorders Can Last Well Beyond Teen Years
- Binge Eating Often Overlooked in Men
- Eating Disorders Affect Fertility, Pregnancy
- Deadliest Psychiatric Disorder: Anorexia
- Osteoporosis Patients Underestimate Fracture Risk
- 12-Week Program Curbs Binge Eating
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter