Patient Comments: Ankylosing Spondylitis - Treatments

What was the treatment for your ankylosing spondylitis?

Comment from: ManlyOscar, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 15

I recently got strep throat. I had noticed that a gland by my neck was swollen but since it wasn't painful I didn't think much of it. After about a week I started getting excruciating pain in my throat, I couldn't sleep because it hurt so much. About 3 days later I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with strep throat. I was given a strong dose of penicillin to take twice a day. It's been the third day on the antibiotic and the pain has gone away for the most part. I'm really happy with the results and I am sure I will be better after the 10 day dosage. If you believe you have strep, you should contact a doctor immediately. The symptoms I had included: swollen tonsil with white pus on it (used my phone flashlight to check) and swollen lymph node. Good luck and I hope my experience was helpful to you.

Comment from: jojo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I have had enormous pain for years, and until diagnosed 3 years ago with ankylosing spondylitis, was told adamantly there is nothing wrong with me. This was hurtful, as I could not participate in sports, or stand for long, no one believed how much pain I was in. Also being female, menstruation was a nightmare, and when I was forced to participate in sports, I was further exhausted, and scared of doing more damage. I recently had rib pain, diagnosed as nonalcoholic liver. I am HB negative, I was diagnosed when I had extreme back pain at menopause. I was told to use NSAIDs, which I refuse to use; the side effects killed my dad. I was told there was nothing else for me, but since menopause I am basically mostly pain free, as long as I can rest when it gets too much. I cannot work full time. All of the practical steps to live with this condition I already do, stretching, resting, moving as much as I can, walking in water, not overdoing it, I use a grabber, have to take my time getting up from lying or sitting, I sleep flat on my back, in a wooden slat bed, which in the long term has been a godsend. So although my diagnosis, came with a warning that it would only get worse, it seems that momentarily anyway I am mostly pain free! I also take mini aspirin, metformin and blood pressure tablet for diabetes. I am thankful every day I feel well, and mostly pain free. I should have had a hysterectomy years ago, but this is not allowed here by the government.

Comment from: Xmas surprise, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 29

Our Christmas tree had been up for 6 days and looked beautiful. On the 7th day the floor at the back of the tree was full of dark brown bugs. They appeared dormant for a time, then they started crawling up the drapes, they were ticks all in the presents, all over the gifts. I don't know what stage they were in, they must have been on the tree. Christmas horror!

Comment from: Sbrown, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I have real bad hemorrhoids. I did remove some pulp, but I have bleeding continually, though I don't have pain. I stick to alkaline diet, lots of fruits, green juice and dandelion tea. I have no problem for bowel movements, just bleeding is my only problem. I don't eat meat only spelt flour, quinoa, black rice, lots of mushrooms, and coconut. I use a lot native products only, I am doing great except for bleeding.

Ankylosing Spondylitis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of ankylosing spondylitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Ankylosing Spondylitis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with ankylosing spondylitis.
Ankylosing Spondylitis - Severity and Progression Question: Do you or a relative have ankylosing spondylitis? Please share its progression, along with treatments.
Ankylosing Spondylitis - Diagnosis Question: What tests led to a diagnosis of ankylosing spondylitis?