Patient Comments: Ankylosing Spondylitis - Treatments

What was the treatment for your ankylosing spondylitis?

Comment from: jojo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I have had enormous pain for years, and until diagnosed 3 years ago with ankylosing spondylitis, was told adamantly there is nothing wrong with me. This was hurtful, as I could not participate in sports, or stand for long, no one believed how much pain I was in. Also being female, menstruation was a nightmare, and when I was forced to participate in sports, I was further exhausted, and scared of doing more damage. I recently had rib pain, diagnosed as nonalcoholic liver. I am HB negative, I was diagnosed when I had extreme back pain at menopause. I was told to use NSAIDs, which I refuse to use; the side effects killed my dad. I was told there was nothing else for me, but since menopause I am basically mostly pain free, as long as I can rest when it gets too much. I cannot work full time. All of the practical steps to live with this condition I already do, stretching, resting, moving as much as I can, walking in water, not overdoing it, I use a grabber, have to take my time getting up from lying or sitting, I sleep flat on my back, in a wooden slat bed, which in the long term has been a godsend. So although my diagnosis, came with a warning that it would only get worse, it seems that momentarily anyway I am mostly pain free! I also take mini aspirin, metformin and blood pressure tablet for diabetes. I am thankful every day I feel well, and mostly pain free. I should have had a hysterectomy years ago, but this is not allowed here by the government.

Comment from: Xmas surprise, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 29

Our Christmas tree had been up for 6 days and looked beautiful. On the 7th day the floor at the back of the tree was full of dark brown bugs. They appeared dormant for a time, then they started crawling up the drapes, they were ticks all in the presents, all over the gifts. I don't know what stage they were in, they must have been on the tree. Christmas horror!

Comment from: Sbrown, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I have real bad hemorrhoids. I did remove some pulp, but I have bleeding continually, though I don't have pain. I stick to alkaline diet, lots of fruits, green juice and dandelion tea. I have no problem for bowel movements, just bleeding is my only problem. I don't eat meat only spelt flour, quinoa, black rice, lots of mushrooms, and coconut. I use a lot native products only, I am doing great except for bleeding.

Comment from: Gert, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 06

It is difficult for me to imagine that psoriasis appears at my age (66)! Currently I am using betamethasone ointment and it has helped. It has curbed most of the breakout and I will know more when I go back to the doctor in December.

Comment from: CatCo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

Diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis in 2007 I was told, 'for you there is no happy ending.' Relegated to a pain management specialist for palliative care, I was given narcotic pain relievers, prednisone, an anti-spasm drug, and frequent epidurals. Not willing to file for disability and take to a wheel chair as suggested, I began my own treatment plan. I changed my diet radically, began to exercise as able (this quickly improved), and weaned myself off all prescription medications. I lost over 64 pounds, and became very mobile. I keep the weight off. I control pain with OTC NSAIDS. I am now 61 and a hiker. I strength train at a gym, do water aerobics, and walk miles daily. For me, it was either suicide or change. I chose change.

Comment from: mfink1982, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 08

I cannot find any relief for my ankylosing spondylitis. I have chronic pain all the time, and it is affecting my life drastically. The pain is unbearable. I lash out at the ones I love and have even considered hurting myself. The last doctor I saw told me he thought I was a drug seeker. I told him if he felt what I was feeling he'd be looking for something to help him out as well. He asked me to leave his office. That's our system, USD 300 month to get no help and your character assassinated.

Ankylosing Spondylitis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of ankylosing spondylitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Ankylosing Spondylitis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with ankylosing spondylitis.
Ankylosing Spondylitis - Severity and Progression Question: Do you or a relative have ankylosing spondylitis? Please share its progression, along with treatments.
Ankylosing Spondylitis - Diagnosis Question: What tests led to a diagnosis of ankylosing spondylitis?