Patient Comments: Ankylosing Spondylitis - Treatments

What was the treatment for your ankylosing spondylitis?

Comment from: harshad, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 26

I am 46 years and was diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis recently, as a 16 year old I got my first severe attack and was hospitalized and traction applied to both my legs as i could not move. Over the years I used to suffer severe pain while moving, squatting. Then I started weight training and the pain subsided and I am able to do all the chores normally. I do yoga for stretching the back and some weight training to strengthen the muscle. My spine is still not fused. I am not taking any pain killers as of now.

Comment from: Greg, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 26

I am 58 year old male with AS. I was diagnosed in 2003, but had the disease much longer before that. I have visited a Chiropractor for back pain, since 1977. But this isn't your typical snap, crackle, and pop type Chiropractor. His technique is non force directional. It helps tremendously, but I continue having lots of pain and problems. I also have a prescription for Sulindac from my general doctor but I don't take it. I use Ibuprofen mostly. I am afraid of stomach problems from anti-inflammatory medications. Lately my ankle has been extremely sore, swollen, and hurts. I am going to a Podiatrist to have it checked out.

Comment from: JohnO, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 17

I was diagnosed at 27 years old and have been through Humira Remicade Enbrel Symphony and just about everything else. My pain is constant 4 hours a day. In August 2008 I decided no more Vioxx Celebrex and I started running. I lost 25 lbs. I haven't had any anti inflammatories except Advil in years and am running my 6th half marathon this year. It really has helped me through the pain. One doctor said don't run the other said do run. Now they think it has worked for me.

Comment from: rcatlady64, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I have ankylosing spondylistis and was diagnosed in 2004, I have tried the nsaid enbryl and humaria unfortunately I'm allergic to both. I'm trying to manage it with diet and exercise, but do have inflammation of the eyes which is interfering in treatment of the eye disease I have which is cornea warping so I'm struggling with all this right now. I'm a 46 year old female, who is trying to get by, do have pain in hips, knees, spine and ankles. I do have curvature of the spine and to added to the rest of the problems was born with scoliosis.

Comment from: Travelbug1955, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I was diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis after a whiplash. The doctor found it by blood work results. I am in pain all over my body, neck hurts, hips, feet, ankles, back, hands, wrists, you name it, it hurts, can't sleep, can't sleep on stomach, have to use cane to walk. I wish the girl would of never rearended me and stayed off her cell phone. Amazing how some things can change your life.

Comment from: mother, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 04

My son was diagnosed at 22. He suffered the most severe pain, eventually. He was given a high dose of vitamin D, which has made all the difference. I trust this info may help some of you, as my husband suffered terribly and became totally bent over and stiff as result of the disease.

Comment from: Sagar , 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 01

I am 47 years old male and medical doctor. I got the disease when I was 16 years and I am taking Nimesulide 100 mg even three times daily to cope from pain. Since 2009 I am having Iritis on and off and treating with steroid eye drop, for IBD taking antibiotics, but no cure. Getting very tired of this disease. Sagar, Nepal

Comment from: monkey, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I had no problem with any kind of pain until I slipped and fell on my kitchen floor when I was 27. My Docs think I'm crazy but all my symptoms started when I fell. That's when the pain in my hip wouldn't go away after a year and half they discovered I had A.S. unreal never would of known or maybe it would of came out later in life maybe never.

Ankylosing Spondylitis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of ankylosing spondylitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Ankylosing Spondylitis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with ankylosing spondylitis.
Ankylosing Spondylitis - Severity and Progression Question: Do you or a relative have ankylosing spondylitis? Please share its progression, along with treatments.
Ankylosing Spondylitis - Diagnosis Question: What tests led to a diagnosis of ankylosing spondylitis?