Patient Comments: Ankylosing Spondylitis - Treatments

What was the treatment for your ankylosing spondylitis?

Comment from: mou, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 15

I am giving tablet salazine 500mg 6 tablets, capsule Reumacap SR 2 capsules, tablet Napa Extend 6 tablets per day.

Comment from: JEFF, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

I am a 47 year old male and have been living with this disease for a little over 28 years. The best advice I have for anyone who suffers is to stay active. Do not let this disease rob you of a single day. This has fused the bottom half of my spine but I am a carpenter and even when I'm in great pain I get busy. This disease dislikes constant mobility it would much rather keep you down. Don't let it. Fight the good fight

Comment from: Vinit, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 10

I am 32 years old and have had occasional back pain since my teenage years, which I always brushed aside as hereditary as even my father experiences stiff back at times. 3 to 4 years back, I had a little severe back pain, for which I visited an Ortho who prescribed some medications and these reduced the pain and I went back to normal, with some occasional back pain. I never took any medications for these occasional pains. Six months back, I had very severe back pain and spasms which were unbearable, and the Ortho again prescribed some painkillers and tests. These tests showed HLA B27 positive and DNA antibody positive. The ortho pinned it as Rheumatoid Arthritis and prescribed a new set of medicines and suggested physiotherapy and exercises. I have an accounting job and physical activity is absent. With these medicines, I experienced relief in my back pain but after some time, my right buttock started having pain whenever I slept on my back. This pain increased with every physiotherapy and exercising days and I paid a visit again to the ortho. This time he asked me to pay a visit to a Rheumatologist. I could not get an appointment for two weeks and during this time, the pain increased to both buttocks and now it pained severely in any sleeping position. In short, I could not sleep properly for these two weeks in spite of taking the painkillers. Finally I got an appointment. After 5 hours of wait and a few reports, all he took was an 8 minute study to diagnose the issue. He confirmed it was not Rheumatoid Arthritis but Ankylosing Spondylitis (his reaction told me that is better than Rheumatoid Arthritis). He has not prescribed new set of meds and once the pain subsides, I have to start jogging / swimming. Though he did not ask anything about my smoking, I think it is now time for me to stop smoking. My advice to others is be patient because it will subside with rest and medicine. Please rest when it attacks and do not try to fight it i.e. do not work with painkillers.

Comment from: harshad, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 26

I am 46 years and was diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis recently, as a 16 year old I got my first severe attack and was hospitalized and traction applied to both my legs as i could not move. Over the years I used to suffer severe pain while moving, squatting. Then I started weight training and the pain subsided and I am able to do all the chores normally. I do yoga for stretching the back and some weight training to strengthen the muscle. My spine is still not fused. I am not taking any pain killers as of now.

Comment from: Greg, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 26

I am 58 year old male with AS. I was diagnosed in 2003, but had the disease much longer before that. I have visited a Chiropractor for back pain, since 1977. But this isn't your typical snap, crackle, and pop type Chiropractor. His technique is non force directional. It helps tremendously, but I continue having lots of pain and problems. I also have a prescription for Sulindac from my general doctor but I don't take it. I use Ibuprofen mostly. I am afraid of stomach problems from anti-inflammatory medications. Lately my ankle has been extremely sore, swollen, and hurts. I am going to a Podiatrist to have it checked out.

Comment from: JohnO, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 17

I was diagnosed at 27 years old and have been through Humira Remicade Enbrel Symphony and just about everything else. My pain is constant 4 hours a day. In August 2008 I decided no more Vioxx Celebrex and I started running. I lost 25 lbs. I haven't had any anti inflammatories except Advil in years and am running my 6th half marathon this year. It really has helped me through the pain. One doctor said don't run the other said do run. Now they think it has worked for me.

Ankylosing Spondylitis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of ankylosing spondylitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Ankylosing Spondylitis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with ankylosing spondylitis.
Ankylosing Spondylitis - Severity and Progression Question: Do you or a relative have ankylosing spondylitis? Please share its progression, along with treatments.
Ankylosing Spondylitis - Diagnosis Question: What tests led to a diagnosis of ankylosing spondylitis?