Patient Comments: Ankylosing Spondylitis - Treatments

What was the treatment for your ankylosing spondylitis?

Comment from: no break in pain, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

I am 33 year old female who wasn't diagnosed until I was 22 years old. Symptoms started when I was 16. In the beginning doctors tried steroid injections and pain pills. Today they use steroids when I have a really bad flare up, naproxen twice a day, pain pills 6 times a day, Humira once every other week, muscle relaxers, and I try to go to physical therapy but most days are too painful. I also have the eye inflammation and fusion has already started in my back and ribs. I'm a single mom and most days I'm so tired I can't do anything, but what I have to for my children. My neck hurts so bad that I can barely turn to look at anything. X-rays don't show any damage there yet but I'm waiting because I know it's happening. I lost my insurance and my doctor helped me be able to stay on humira by writing the maker. Hope this helps someone else who's struggling to make ends meet and just trying to feel better with whatever they can. :)

Comment from: pammyb, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I am a 28 year old nurse, diagnosed about 2 years ago with AS. I have had pain since I was 17 slowly increasing to the point I could not walk. Once diagnosed, I was prescribed naproxen that did not work for long, then celebrex for about 6 months twice a day. I am now on the mobicox and seems to work well, exercising regularly and a lot of stretching seems to help. For those who don't want to take a lot of medications, research foods that decrease inflammation or increase. Tumeric is great for joint pain and also sweet potatoes or yams have one of the highest anti-inflammatory scales. Try incorporating them a few times a week. I have found adjusting my diet, quitting smoking, biking or swimming can really help with physiotherapy; chiropractic (no adjustments, just pressure release) and massage have all be blessings. I have more good days now then bad, and able to manage much better. Keep moving!

Comment from: John, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 02

I was diagnosed with a/s when I was 23 years old. I was treated with pills which did little good and then put on aspirin for a long time. This helped a bit and I stayed fairly active. When I finally had to quit work (mechanic) in 1991 I could no longer the pain of walking or standing for very long. I was sent to a number of Doctors with not many results and ended up in a wheel chair for some time. I was sent in 2008 to see a great Rheumatology doctor who put me on a program of self administered needles of Humira. I have done very well since then. My life style is back to where I can enjoy it much better. I have the usual side effects of a/s but learn to live with them. I wish I could have met this Doctor 50 years ago. Life would have been much less painful.

Comment from: Suzanne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I am 50 year old female with symptoms that started around 17 years. I was diagnosed just five years ago-my rheumatologist suggested that I 'must have suffered' as my pelvis is fused. Pilates, swimming and sunshine help! I take Ibuprofen when the pain is unbearable, but recently my hips are causing me extreme pain; it wakes me up and my bed feels like a torture chamber. I am also experiencing menopausal symptoms and am suffering from night sweats, which also disturb my sleep. Fatigue is part of AS and I'm exhausted. I thought my teens and twenties were painful, but now I'm faced with a nightmare. Thought has improved with age!

Comment from: James, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 02

Hi my name is James; I am a 25 year old with A.S. I started having very bad sharp pain when I was 17, and lasted for a couple of years. My whole body has changed throughout the years; from my spine being fused together, and having very limited mobility. I had a total shoulder replacement when I was 23 which help with the pain, but my mobility is very limited. I have been taking Celebrex twice a day since I was 18, so I could function daily. I try very hard to be active and mobile, but it's very hard with the chronic pain. Meditation is great to clear you mind, and help you bear with the pain. Anyone with A.S. I wish you the best, and hang in there! (I know it's hard) =)

Comment from: singmom, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I have had AS for a few years, and all my doctor tries is cortisone shots in my joints, naproxen, and pain killers. But being a single mom, I can't take many pain killers. Then again, I am so busy with kids that some days that's all I want! AS has now caused problems in my right eye, which were so bad a specialist had to put a needle into my eyeball. I was too young when I was diagnosed and am not yet 30, but I feel as if I am 60. I am hoping for someone to find a cure.

Ankylosing Spondylitis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of ankylosing spondylitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Ankylosing Spondylitis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with ankylosing spondylitis.
Ankylosing Spondylitis - Severity and Progression Question: Do you or a relative have ankylosing spondylitis? Please share its progression, along with treatments.
Ankylosing Spondylitis - Diagnosis Question: Describe the tests and exams you received that led to a diagnosis of ankylosing spondylitis. Do any relatives have it?