Patient Comments: Ankylosing Spondylitis - Treatments

What was the treatment for your ankylosing spondylitis?

Comment from: John, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 02

I was diagnosed with a/s when I was 23 years old. I was treated with pills which did little good and then put on aspirin for a long time. This helped a bit and I stayed fairly active. When I finally had to quit work (mechanic) in 1991 I could no longer the pain of walking or standing for very long. I was sent to a number of Doctors with not many results and ended up in a wheel chair for some time. I was sent in 2008 to see a great Rheumatology doctor who put me on a program of self administered needles of Humira. I have done very well since then. My life style is back to where I can enjoy it much better. I have the usual side effects of a/s but learn to live with them. I wish I could have met this Doctor 50 years ago. Life would have been much less painful.

Comment from: Suzanne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I am 50 year old female with symptoms that started around 17 years. I was diagnosed just five years ago-my rheumatologist suggested that I 'must have suffered' as my pelvis is fused. Pilates, swimming and sunshine help! I take Ibuprofen when the pain is unbearable, but recently my hips are causing me extreme pain; it wakes me up and my bed feels like a torture chamber. I am also experiencing menopausal symptoms and am suffering from night sweats, which also disturb my sleep. Fatigue is part of AS and I'm exhausted. I thought my teens and twenties were painful, but now I'm faced with a nightmare. Thought has improved with age!

Comment from: James, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 02

Hi my name is James; I am a 25 year old with A.S. I started having very bad sharp pain when I was 17, and lasted for a couple of years. My whole body has changed throughout the years; from my spine being fused together, and having very limited mobility. I had a total shoulder replacement when I was 23 which help with the pain, but my mobility is very limited. I have been taking Celebrex twice a day since I was 18, so I could function daily. I try very hard to be active and mobile, but it's very hard with the chronic pain. Meditation is great to clear you mind, and help you bear with the pain. Anyone with A.S. I wish you the best, and hang in there! (I know it's hard) =)

Comment from: singmom, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I have had AS for a few years, and all my doctor tries is cortisone shots in my joints, naproxen, and pain killers. But being a single mom, I can't take many pain killers. Then again, I am so busy with kids that some days that's all I want! AS has now caused problems in my right eye, which were so bad a specialist had to put a needle into my eyeball. I was too young when I was diagnosed and am not yet 30, but I feel as if I am 60. I am hoping for someone to find a cure.

Comment from: Vinit, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 10

I am 32 years old and have had occasional back pain since my teenage years, which I always brushed aside as hereditary as even my father experiences stiff back at times. 3 to 4 years back, I had a little severe back pain, for which I visited an Ortho who prescribed some medications and these reduced the pain and I went back to normal, with some occasional back pain. I never took any medications for these occasional pains. Six months back, I had very severe back pain and spasms which were unbearable, and the Ortho again prescribed some painkillers and tests. These tests showed HLA B27 positive and DNA antibody positive. The ortho pinned it as Rheumatoid Arthritis and prescribed a new set of medicines and suggested physiotherapy and exercises. I have an accounting job and physical activity is absent. With these medicines, I experienced relief in my back pain but after some time, my right buttock started having pain whenever I slept on my back. This pain increased with every physiotherapy and exercising days and I paid a visit again to the ortho. This time he asked me to pay a visit to a Rheumatologist. I could not get an appointment for two weeks and during this time, the pain increased to both buttocks and now it pained severely in any sleeping position. In short, I could not sleep properly for these two weeks in spite of taking the painkillers. Finally I got an appointment. After 5 hours of wait and a few reports, all he took was an 8 minute study to diagnose the issue. He confirmed it was not Rheumatoid Arthritis but Ankylosing Spondylitis (his reaction told me that is better than Rheumatoid Arthritis). He has not prescribed new set of meds and once the pain subsides, I have to start jogging / swimming. Though he did not ask anything about my smoking, I think it is now time for me to stop smoking. My advice to others is be patient because it will subside with rest and medicine. Please rest when it attacks and do not try to fight it i.e. do not work with painkillers.

Ankylosing Spondylitis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of ankylosing spondylitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Ankylosing Spondylitis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with ankylosing spondylitis.
Ankylosing Spondylitis - Severity and Progression Question: Do you or a relative have ankylosing spondylitis? Please share its progression, along with treatments.
Ankylosing Spondylitis - Diagnosis Question: What tests led to a diagnosis of ankylosing spondylitis?