Patient Comments: Ankylosing Spondylitis - Treatments

What was the treatment for your ankylosing spondylitis?

Comment from: S.Saad, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 08

The 13 years I've been married to my husband, he's had this disease. He just found out a month ago. The great thing is, he's started on Embrel and he's a new man. He can turn his neck, he's sitting up straighter, has no pain, He moves without the stiffness he used to have, and even his bm's are normal now(he's always had diarrhea). When he told the dr. that he's having normal bms for the first time in years she tested him for chrohn's disease (which is a symptom of this disease), which came out positive. She did say she was going to change this med. for another one similar to Enbrel but is easier on the digestive track. There is hope! I'm so excited that my husband can move again without pain!

Comment from: mou, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 15

I am giving tablet salazine 500mg 6 tablets, capsule Reumacap SR 2 capsules, tablet Napa Extend 6 tablets per day.

Comment from: donegalmike, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 20

I've had multiple treatments over time. I am 62 and have had two replacement surgeries of the same hip. I've also taken many anti-inflammatories, like ibuprofen, Vioxx, Voltaren, Naprosyn and currently Celebrex. I've also had physical therapy, chiropractic work and have done stretching. I occasionally take Norco for pain.

Comment from: JEFF, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

I am a 47 year old male and have been living with this disease for a little over 28 years. The best advice I have for anyone who suffers is to stay active. Do not let this disease rob you of a single day. This has fused the bottom half of my spine but I am a carpenter and even when I'm in great pain I get busy. This disease dislikes constant mobility it would much rather keep you down. Don't let it. Fight the good fight

Comment from: Vinit, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 10

I am 32 years old and have had occasional back pain since my teenage years, which I always brushed aside as hereditary as even my father experiences stiff back at times. 3 to 4 years back, I had a little severe back pain, for which I visited an Ortho who prescribed some medications and these reduced the pain and I went back to normal, with some occasional back pain. I never took any medications for these occasional pains. Six months back, I had very severe back pain and spasms which were unbearable, and the Ortho again prescribed some painkillers and tests. These tests showed HLA B27 positive and DNA antibody positive. The ortho pinned it as Rheumatoid Arthritis and prescribed a new set of medicines and suggested physiotherapy and exercises. I have an accounting job and physical activity is absent. With these medicines, I experienced relief in my back pain but after some time, my right buttock started having pain whenever I slept on my back. This pain increased with every physiotherapy and exercising days and I paid a visit again to the ortho. This time he asked me to pay a visit to a Rheumatologist. I could not get an appointment for two weeks and during this time, the pain increased to both buttocks and now it pained severely in any sleeping position. In short, I could not sleep properly for these two weeks in spite of taking the painkillers. Finally I got an appointment. After 5 hours of wait and a few reports, all he took was an 8 minute study to diagnose the issue. He confirmed it was not Rheumatoid Arthritis but Ankylosing Spondylitis (his reaction told me that is better than Rheumatoid Arthritis). He has not prescribed new set of meds and once the pain subsides, I have to start jogging / swimming. Though he did not ask anything about my smoking, I think it is now time for me to stop smoking. My advice to others is be patient because it will subside with rest and medicine. Please rest when it attacks and do not try to fight it i.e. do not work with painkillers.

Comment from: forester, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

First symptoms when I was 22. self-treated symptoms w/ ibuprofen. Diagnosis at 33. Lucky to have the best rheumatologist in the state. Started with Rx NSAIDS but had stomach problems, plus they lose effectiveness after a while. Now on Remicade. Have had arthroscopy on two shoulders and one hip. Been down many times but I keep getting up! At 49 I still work as a forester on rough ground. I still camp. KEEP MOVING, KEEP STRETCHING, don't let anyone tell you no.

Ankylosing Spondylitis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of ankylosing spondylitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Ankylosing Spondylitis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with ankylosing spondylitis.
Ankylosing Spondylitis - Severity and Progression Question: Do you or a relative have ankylosing spondylitis? Please share its progression, along with treatments.
Ankylosing Spondylitis - Diagnosis Question: Describe the tests and exams you received that led to a diagnosis of ankylosing spondylitis. Do any relatives have it?