Patient Comments: Ankylosing Spondylitis - Treatments

What was the treatment for your ankylosing spondylitis?

Comment from: S.Saad, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 08

The 13 years I've been married to my husband, he's had this disease. He just found out a month ago. The great thing is, he's started on Embrel and he's a new man. He can turn his neck, he's sitting up straighter, has no pain, He moves without the stiffness he used to have, and even his bm's are normal now(he's always had diarrhea). When he told the dr. that he's having normal bms for the first time in years she tested him for chrohn's disease (which is a symptom of this disease), which came out positive. She did say she was going to change this med. for another one similar to Enbrel but is easier on the digestive track. There is hope! I'm so excited that my husband can move again without pain!

Comment from: mroberts, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I have ankylosing spondylosis and fibromyalgia, I was recently told about Neurontin, why am I suffering when the old drugs are around! (I had Lyrica.)

Comment from: mou, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 15

I am giving tablet salazine 500mg 6 tablets, capsule Reumacap SR 2 capsules, tablet Napa Extend 6 tablets per day.

Comment from: donegalmike, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 20

I've had multiple treatments over time. I am 62 and have had two replacement surgeries of the same hip. I've also taken many anti-inflammatories, like ibuprofen, Vioxx, Voltaren, Naprosyn and currently Celebrex. I've also had physical therapy, chiropractic work and have done stretching. I occasionally take Norco for pain.

Comment from: JEFF, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

I am a 47 year old male and have been living with this disease for a little over 28 years. The best advice I have for anyone who suffers is to stay active. Do not let this disease rob you of a single day. This has fused the bottom half of my spine but I am a carpenter and even when I'm in great pain I get busy. This disease dislikes constant mobility it would much rather keep you down. Don't let it. Fight the good fight

Comment from: forester, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

First symptoms when I was 22. self-treated symptoms w/ ibuprofen. Diagnosis at 33. Lucky to have the best rheumatologist in the state. Started with Rx NSAIDS but had stomach problems, plus they lose effectiveness after a while. Now on Remicade. Have had arthroscopy on two shoulders and one hip. Been down many times but I keep getting up! At 49 I still work as a forester on rough ground. I still camp. KEEP MOVING, KEEP STRETCHING, don't let anyone tell you no.

Comment from: no break in pain, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

I am 33 year old female who wasn't diagnosed until I was 22 years old. Symptoms started when I was 16. In the beginning doctors tried steroid injections and pain pills. Today they use steroids when I have a really bad flare up, naproxen twice a day, pain pills 6 times a day, Humira once every other week, muscle relaxers, and I try to go to physical therapy but most days are too painful. I also have the eye inflammation and fusion has already started in my back and ribs. I'm a single mom and most days I'm so tired I can't do anything, but what I have to for my children. My neck hurts so bad that I can barely turn to look at anything. X-rays don't show any damage there yet but I'm waiting because I know it's happening. I lost my insurance and my doctor helped me be able to stay on humira by writing the maker. Hope this helps someone else who's struggling to make ends meet and just trying to feel better with whatever they can. :)

Comment from: pammyb, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I am a 28 year old nurse, diagnosed about 2 years ago with AS. I have had pain since I was 17 slowly increasing to the point I could not walk. Once diagnosed, I was prescribed naproxen that did not work for long, then celebrex for about 6 months twice a day. I am now on the mobicox and seems to work well, exercising regularly and a lot of stretching seems to help. For those who don't want to take a lot of medications, research foods that decrease inflammation or increase. Tumeric is great for joint pain and also sweet potatoes or yams have one of the highest anti-inflammatory scales. Try incorporating them a few times a week. I have found adjusting my diet, quitting smoking, biking or swimming can really help with physiotherapy; chiropractic (no adjustments, just pressure release) and massage have all be blessings. I have more good days now then bad, and able to manage much better. Keep moving!

Ankylosing Spondylitis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of ankylosing spondylitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Ankylosing Spondylitis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with ankylosing spondylitis.
Ankylosing Spondylitis - Severity and Progression Question: Do you or a relative have ankylosing spondylitis? Please share its progression, along with treatments.
Ankylosing Spondylitis - Diagnosis Question: What tests led to a diagnosis of ankylosing spondylitis?