Patient Comments: Ankylosing Spondylitis - Treatments

What was the treatment for your ankylosing spondylitis?

Comment from: hopingforthebest, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I was diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis (AS) about 3 months ago and am currently working with my rheumatologist to find the best treatment. When I was a senior in high school I experienced excruciating pain in my back that would last about a week, about 2 times a year. This past year (senior in college) the pain came back but a little duller. One day I hurt my foot and then the pain never went away. It lasted about a month until I went to a podiatrist who did blood tests and found I was HLA-B27 plus. I have been on sulfasalazine, Celebrex and prednisone. The pain and swelling in my foot is now minimal but now I am experiencing pain in my hip and lower back. I'm meeting my rheumatologist in 3 weeks, hoping for the best.

Comment from: Svyogini, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

The only thing that has helped me with ankylosing spondylitis is following the guidelines of both the Paleo diet and FODMAP diet. It works like magic. I go off of it and get leveled with pain.

Comment from: martin1874, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 14

I am a 46 year old and have had ankylosing spondylitis for 25 years. No matter what I take my condition gets worse I have been given high levels of Oxycontin which I am now addicted to.

Comment from: Susan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I was diagnosed in 2005 with ankylosing spondylitis (AS) and ulcerative colitis. I removed all starch from my diet and I am pain free. I use diclofenac when running races (which I couldn't do before eliminating starch). I read a book on IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) and low starch diet. Resounded with me so it might do for you.

Comment from: Jan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I have been taking Lexapro, and doing stretching and cardio for my ankylosing spondylitis, I've been trying to avoid heavy drugs.

Comment from: helenb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

Recently, I was diagnosed with inflammatory spinal disease. I have suffered on and off for years with back problems starting in my early 20s when I was told it was sciatica. I also suffered for years with excruciating spasms between my shoulder blades, for which I was given quinine sulfate but no diagnosis. I also suffered from hip pain off and on too. After putting up with lower back pain for many years, receiving painkillers, and anti-inflammatories, I finally asked for a referral to a rheumatologist. This happened for two reasons: my daughter started suffering from the same “between the shoulders” pain and was referred very quickly; and due to the fact that I had had to take off lots of time from work because I couldn't move because of the pain and, literally, my legs wouldn't hold me up. My daughter was told she had the HLA-B27 marker and that it was hereditary. This is the main reason I asked for a referral. It was confirmed that I have AS with bone spurs attached to the next vertebrae in my lower back and between my shoulders. I was assessed by a physiotherapist a few days ago, who told me I also have a scoliosis on my right side. So glad my daughter is receiving the help I wish I had received years ago.

Comment from: thush, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

My first symptoms of ankylosing spondylitis started when I was 24. I got this terrible pain behind my ears. When I went to my family doctor he said I am getting my wisdom teeth. But I never did get any wisdom teeth. After 6 months I got a back ache, then stiff neck. I consulted a doctor, and he gave me some pain killers and I was ok for about 4 months. Then I got a red eye and my eye specialist gave me some drops. Then I got this unbearable neck pain again. I told my doctor to do all possible tests. He took an X-ray of my neck and said I have cervical spondylosis plus extra upper rib. After two weeks I went to see the same doctor since I developed a pain on my heel. He said it's impossible, he told me to continue with my exercise. Nothing helped, doctor after doctor, I was feeling that I have fever, but no temperature. My blood test shows that I am anemic so my family doctor gave me iron tablets. I have to say I am a vegetarian so my family and friends said it's due to it. For last three years I feel tired all the time. But I manage to do all my work still doing it. Last year my right eye got red again so I went to see eye surgeon. She gave me some medicine, and I was ok. But within three days I got it again. My eye doctor said to stop my shampoo, etc. And gave me some more drops. Again I got a red eye within two weeks , and this time my eye doctor asked if I have any back pain I said yes, and she asked me why didn't I tell her beforehand (how am I supposed to know there is a link). I was referred to a rheumatologist .Now I know it's not my mind. At least I am mentally OK though I am depressed. Only thing that helps me is pain killers, heat pad, sleeping on the floor, flat surface. I do exercises regularly. I don't get proper sleep.

Ankylosing Spondylitis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of ankylosing spondylitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Ankylosing Spondylitis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with ankylosing spondylitis.
Ankylosing Spondylitis - Severity and Progression Question: Do you or a relative have ankylosing spondylitis? Please share its progression, along with treatments.
Ankylosing Spondylitis - Diagnosis Question: What tests led to a diagnosis of ankylosing spondylitis?