Patient Comments: Ankylosing Spondylitis - Severity and Progression

Do you or a relative have ankylosing spondylitis? Please share its progression, along with treatments.

Comment from: Ryeod, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 27

I have AS. I got diagnosed at age 25. I've been on Enbrel since 2006. I am 33 years old now. I had a baby at age 30. I find it difficult to keep up with my 3-year-old son some days. He is very active, and I am stiff at nighttime. I am a RN as well. They're both challenging jobs, and I am not sure how long I can keep up with working. Enbrel only works for a week. By day 10, I start to hurt a lot and need to take the shot. I am not on any prescription pain meds but I take ibuprofen as needed. I hope they find a cure for this curse of a disease.

Comment from: StillKicking, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 20

I have been living with Spondylitis for 26 years (I am now 52 years old). My back bone is somewhat fused and stiff and I am on Enbrel since 2006. I am still working. I am very lucky to have a wonderful family that is taking care of me. I have also had some rib cage fusing.

Comment from: A,smith, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have ankylosing spondylitis (AS). I have seen many physicians for severe back pain and finally went to a rheumatologist. I take sulfasalazine, hydroxychloqine, and tried Enbrel. I have started Remicade. However, I became very ill with pneumonia and had to put things on hold. I have severe spinal pain daily. I take pain medication. I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, COPD, and connective tissue disease. I have fractured (stress fractured) my ribs and both feet. The pain seems to be getting worse. I struggle on a daily basis.

Comment from: dansgal, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 04

My husband has severe ankylosing spondylitis. His neck is fused. He has a very hard time trying to breathe. He has a hard time in the dampness or cold weather. Our doctor has him taking pain medication (naproxen). Our doctor cannot give us a time frame on how much longer he will live. He hopes that he will live a couple more years.

Comment from: Ujjwal, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 12

I was diagnosed AS at the age of 17. Since then, have been taking Tab Sulfasalazine daily morning and evening. Also, been taking alternative treatment in homeopathy for last 5 years. I have good relief from pain and take about 3-4 pain killers a month on need basis. I use Tab Etiocoxib. Primarily, my back is affected. I keep doing light exercises every day and it helps me maintain mobility. Cannot stop fusion of vertebrae, but there's no bending of back bone. Every few days, pain attacks do happen. I have experienced that stomach conditions seem to increase pain attacks.

Ankylosing Spondylitis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of ankylosing spondylitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Ankylosing Spondylitis - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your ankylosing spondylitis?
Ankylosing Spondylitis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with ankylosing spondylitis.
Ankylosing Spondylitis - Diagnosis Question: Describe the tests and exams you received that led to a diagnosis of ankylosing spondylitis. Do any relatives have it?