Patient Comments: Ankylosing Spondylitis - Experience

Please describe your experience with ankylosing spondylitis.

Comment from: RTS, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 30

I am 46 years old and had my first symptom when I was 16. Ankylosing spondylitis started out with uveitis and shortly after came joint inflammation, back pain, sacroiliitis and everything else. During the last three decades I've been watching my spine and neck get stiff, pain follows me most of the days. I take only NSAIDs and short courses of oral steroids in low doses when things get ugly. As a physician, I'm always exposed to infectious diseases at the hospital so I chose not to take TNF (tumor necrosis factor) blockers. I work at least 12 hours a day and dedicate my time to helping people as much as I can. I'll keep doing my best until it's all over eventually. I'm a happy and fortunate man.

Comment from: my experiance, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 01

For the past 4 to 5 years I have been having back pain. I spent lot of time for treatment, medicines and exercises for ankylosing spondylitis. After all this effort all I could feel was one short term improvement. I used to walk 4 to 5 km daily in the evening but the very next morning I could feel stiffness to my neck and back. Then I tried yoga. Doing yoga I found big relief to my back pain. The breathing exercises for my lungs and body were really effective.

Comment from: katy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

I have recently been diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis (AS) which I believe I have shown symptoms of for at least 8 years. I have all the symptoms related to it, as in iritis, irritable bowel syndrome, and most days I have pain somewhere. Depression is a major fight for me as I do feel that people in family don't really understand it and how debilitating it is. Pain killers keep me going along with my determination not to feel sorry for myself.

Comment from: 5'10' 220 all muscle, 35-44 (Patient) Published: July 17

I just learned today that what I have been dealing with for the last 8 years is ankylosing spondylitis (AS). I had three major iritis flare ups and enough ibuprofen to keep the economy running all by itself. I don't know how bad this is going to get and I am scared for the first time in my life. I haven't slept a full night through in 8 years and now I know why the pain would wake me up after 3 hours of sleep. I don't know yet whether or not I am glad I know what the cause was or if not knowing was better. I will find every possible way to deal with this, improve this condition and make life enjoyable again, I will pass all my findings on to you all!

Comment from: LS, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I was diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis (AS) at 17 through a flare up of Iritis. I have been very lucky in regards to joint issues. I get a lot of aches and pains but I have massages and go to the chiropractor monthly. I maintain regular exercise and try and keep my weight in check. I do find if I get on the heavy side that I have more back and joint issues. My flare-ups of iritis used to be irregular but in the last 3 years I am at the eye specialist once to twice a week but when my pressures are up as they are at the moment I will go today for the fourth time this week. I am due to have cataract surgery soon and I will need to have surgery as well for the duct in my eye as it has collapsed and is causing high pressures in my eyes. I have lots of issues health wise and get frustrated regularly but I consider myself lucky while I watch my friend who has AS go through hip replacement at 40 and all the other joint operations she has had to have and also after reading the stories here. I love my family and enjoy my life and though it is hard some days I will continue what I am doing. I am very aware of different foods I eat and I do watch how my body reacts. My joints react to wheat so I stay off it and also large quantities of dairy products. I also have cut back on refined sugars, and this has assisted me and my joints, and anything high in starch. I know for some people this is frustrating but for me I am planning to live a long life so if I can assist my joints by watching what I eat, then this is of benefit to me.

Ankylosing Spondylitis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of ankylosing spondylitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Ankylosing Spondylitis - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your ankylosing spondylitis?
Ankylosing Spondylitis - Severity and Progression Question: Do you or a relative have ankylosing spondylitis? Please share its progression, along with treatments.
Ankylosing Spondylitis - Diagnosis Question: What tests led to a diagnosis of ankylosing spondylitis?