Patient Comments: Ankylosing Spondylitis - Symptoms

The symptoms of ankylosing spondylitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Published: May 29

I was 19 when I developed severe pain in my hip joint and backside. I limped and hobbled around for a few days. The pain would wake me up at night if I rolled over or moved. I went to a doctor who thought I had bursitis and prescribed me an anti-inflammatory medication. After about six months, the pain was gone and forgotten. At age 34, my third pregnancy was normal until the last six weeks where pain on both sides increased until I could only crawl. My stride when I tried to walk was about three inches long and extremely painful. My gynecologist thought that this problem would disappear after delivery but it did not though it greatly improved. The pain never went away completely. My doctor said it could take up to a year to resolve. After two years the pain started getting a lot worse and did not go away after gentle exercise. I went to a sports medicine doctor and he said it was ankylosing spondylitis!

Published: May 29

I am a newly diagnosed 16 year-old boy. I wake up too sore and stiff to get out of bed on my own. I can eventually turn onto my hands and knees then back up off of my bed, but it really hurts. I have experienced numbness down into my left thigh, and I often have painful backaches. Many times during the day, I need to stand up during class because it hurts to sit up straight at a desk.

Ankylosing Spondylitis - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your ankylosing spondylitis?
Ankylosing Spondylitis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with ankylosing spondylitis.
Ankylosing Spondylitis - Severity and Progression Question: Do you or a relative have ankylosing spondylitis? Please share its progression, along with treatments.
Ankylosing Spondylitis - Diagnosis Question: What tests led to a diagnosis of ankylosing spondylitis?