Patient Comments: Ankylosing Spondylitis - Symptoms

The symptoms of ankylosing spondylitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Niah, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

Have you ever seen people with arthritis that only attacked the tendons? After a year of tendon pain in my feet and right knee as well as costochondritis, and a history of unexplained wrist tendonitis in teen years, I just got diagnosed with ankylosing arthritis and possible psoriatic arthritis. Prednisone helping a little then starting methotrexate afterwards. I"m 24 and I have so much stiffness and pain in knee and foot tendons I can hardly walk. He (my new rheumatologist) says methotrexate will help, but I wonder if it can help the tendonitis/enthesitis pain. I"m confused because I always thought arthritis attacked bones and my bones are all fine.

Comment from: stillinshock, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I have had back pain most of my life. I'm almost 60. I've had stiffness in joints, terrible temporomandibular joint pain (TMJ), and a lot of these were never diagnosed. I fell really hard about 8 months ago and broke my L1 vertebrae. I keep having a lot of pain in my buttocks, hips and lower back and just assumed it was from the fall. I got the shock of my life yesterday when I was told my S1 hip area is all fused together and I have ankylosing spondylitis. This really explains a lot of what I've been through.

Published: May 22

At age 22 in my senior year of college my hips started hurting. They hurt for 4-5 months, as best I can recollect. I walked a couple of miles a day to and from classes. They hurt when I got up from my chair and started walking; then it would gradually stop hurting. They also hurt in bed at night. I never took any medicine nor visited a doctor. Eventually it went away. Almost 2 decades later my first back X-ray showed fused SI joints, presumably from "sacroilitis". I guess that was it. My hip pain never returned, but the rest of my back hurt chronically until I was diagnosed with AS last month and got on medicine.

Comment from: Jan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

Three of our 5 family members have ankylosing spondylitis (AS). The pain for me started on my hip/sacroiliac joint. I went to every doctor and it wasn't until 10 years of doctor after doctor, did I finally get it diagnosed right, I think we finally found the answer that it is AS.

Comment from: LS, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I was diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis (AS) at 17 after I had an iritis flare up in my final year of school. I then was referred to a rheumatologist who diagnosed my AS.

Comment from: sarah, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

The symptom of ankylosing spondylitis was pain in my rib on the left side of the body.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

My symptoms of ankylosing spondylitis are neck pain and left hand pain.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 24

I am a 42 years old ankylosing spondylitis patient. At the age of 28 I felt tiredness in the neck that later led to neck pain and stiffness. After 3 to 4 years, back pain started. At first I took Sazo 500 mg twice daily and then 1 gm twice. Now I have taken the 9th dose of infliximab (Remicade) 200 mg injection. My left eye has got reddish in color and I have a little pain and low vision and I am on treatment now.

Published: July 01

Recently, my internist put me on a short dose of Prednisone that eased the pain quite a bit. Then I saw a rheumatologist who found a fusion in my sacroiliac joints and diagnosed Ankylosing Spondylitis. I was put on more Prednisone for several more weeks, and also on medication to allay the progress of the spondylitis. Of course, the meds have side effects to be aware of. Because I am of advanced age and new to this, I am trying to learn all I can. I may have had symptoms for a long time, but only until the severe hip pain that impaired my activities did I ever feel quite so challenged.

Ankylosing Spondylitis - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your ankylosing spondylitis?
Ankylosing Spondylitis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with ankylosing spondylitis.
Ankylosing Spondylitis - Severity and Progression Question: Do you or a relative have ankylosing spondylitis? Please share its progression, along with treatments.
Ankylosing Spondylitis - Diagnosis Question: What tests led to a diagnosis of ankylosing spondylitis?